View Poll Results: Does your Treo sound clearer from a headset, than when you use it as a phone?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - clearer from a headset!

36 46.15%
  • No difference!

31 39.74%
  • I couldn't care less

11 14.10%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1.    #61  
    And now the latest... the Treo 600 is baaccckkk!!!

I've been using the iPaq (H4355 Pocket PC with keyboard, high-res, bluetooth, wi-fi, etc), and it's great for what it is. But after using a Treo 600, having a seperate phone and palmtop is a real pain. Plus, the iPaq PPC is too LARGE to *always* have with me. After a week, I was already feeling the yearning for a Treo again!

I decided to take a long-shot based on a hunch. I went to the Sprint store and bought (another) new T6. Based upon my preliminary testing, this is the *first* Treo 600 I've had, which has good outgoing voice quality on handset, headset, and speakerphone. No "muffled" sound, no buzzing, etc. The standard headset produces voice quality you can hardly distinguish from the handset. Ditto for the speakerphone. Go figure!!

Using the ##786 command (from the phone), shows that this new Treo is Hardware Rev C. (same as my T-Mobile Treo), and firmware rev 1.10 ("Software Rev: Treo600-1.10-SPR").

The first Sprint Treo I had purchased (early December) was purchased well before the local Sprint stores could get them, from a reseller (Franklin Covey). The Sprint manager said they've been getting a lot of those Treo's (the early lots) back with phone problems. Didn't have to convince me on that one!

My second Treo was a T-Mobile "unofficial" (unlocked) unit. It worked much better in handset mode, but the audio was muffled in headset mode.

This is my third Treo, and the first one with a good quality "phone". Finally!!

I like the Pocket PC too, and may keep it... it's great for spreadsheets, and some other high-res applications. But it's the kind of computer you keep in your breifcase or jacket pocket; on the belt in a Nutshell case, it's just "too big" to be there all the time. The Treo in a Nutshell case however, is small/sleek/light enough even to clip on during a run. They're different classes of machines.

Once I do a little more testing, I will need to deal with moving my #'s back to Sprint from T-Mobile using number portability (Sprint is generously going to credit most of the termination fee).

My Treo "early-adopter experience" has more twists and turns than Lombard Street here in San Francisco! But the design is so compelling I had to keep trying. With the Nutshell case, the T6 is a very small form factor -- there's nothing else that gets you a phone & pda in that kind of package! I like to *always* have it within reach.

Phew! Hopefully this will be the end of the "ordeal" phase
    Last edited by sbell22; 02/19/2004 at 01:04 PM.
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
    I'm one of those folks that don't get this issue on voice quality. I'm actually waiting on a new Treo 600 b/c my first one (which I bought from Sprint telesales the first day it was rumored being released) had the earpiece speaker go out the other day. But as for outbound voice quality, I KNOW the microphone for my Treo works better in handset mode than when using a speakerphone or headset. I've run all sorts of tests (and I actually do this right after I get a new phone b/c I'm anal this way), and even ran them again after just reading this thread, and the microphone works very well. Actually, the only thing I can say about it in speakerphone mode is I'm amazed at how well it picks up my voice as well - but still not better than in non-speakerphone mode.

The bad news here is that if people are experiencing poor voice quality, then I think palmOne has a bunch of defective Treos floating around.
  3.    #63  
    Yeah, TreoTim, there are a bunch of Treo's out there that work perfectly. We aren't quite sure if there are (also) a lot of defective Treo's out there, or if it's a network thing... but the audio problem is very real. It's much more significant that the normal difference between headset and handset. It's a gross impairment, where people you call are constantly saying "I can hardly hear you, you sound muffled", stuff like that. I recorded myself onto voicemail to confirm the problem.

Anyway there are a lot of people out there with "perfect-working" Treo's, and some enthusiasts have taken offense to the idea that there is a problem, like it's some kind of indictment of their Treo's. The thing is, this problem doesn't effect all the units. The poll at the top of this thread reflects the fact that this problem *does* effect a lot of the Treo's that are currently in use. Anyway thankfully, I finally have a Treo+carrier that "works", without the phone problem! Hopefully for PalmOne and other Treo users, this will turn out to have been an "early production problem". We'll see...

Cheers,
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Interesting reading, as a T270 owner waiting for my unbranded T600 i was sitting on nails while reading some sections of this thread, had a happy ending so far too.

If Seinfeld could make a hit with a series "about nothing" im sure this Treo drama could be even better.

/Andreas
  5. GTI
    sbell22 said:

"And now the latest... the Treo 600 is baaccckkk!!!"

Steve,
    You gave the firmware version of your better Treo 600. But is it a palmOne or Handspring labled phone? Also, if it is palmOne, how is the screen as some have said the it differs from the Handspring screens.

I had a T600 which I liked a lot but returned due to a screen spot developing and occasional handset speaker cut out. I'll post a more detailed review of this in another thread.

Thanks for your informative posts; your experience doesn't seem too different from others.
  6.    #66  
    Yeah, I hope this happy ending sticks!! )

That's very funny... *perfect* for Seinfeld, I could be the script advisor. In fact, i think i could give them enough raw material for a whole SEASON.

Can't you see Jerry setting on "tech support hold" for hours while he rationalizes his wonderful new time-saving gadget with George & Kramer?? "About nothing" might be a good title for this one, too...
    steve bell

7.    #67  
    GTI, this one is a "PalmOne" branded phone. The other two were not.

The screen has a slight bluish tint. But that could be contrast, I haven't adjusted it yet.

What are they saying is different about the new screens?
    steve bell

8. GTI
    Steve asked:
    What are they saying is different about the new screens?

See the thread:
    "Treo 600 says PalmOne on the Front"
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...0&pagenumber=2

Basically that the screen color is warmer or bluer (contradiction) but more importantly, that the palmOne screens seem "cloudy" or darker and not as "white". However, since some screens were developing spots or discoloration (mine did), Palm may have had to make a running change in the screens used. A little shift in the color balance wouldn't bother me, but a change in color strength and contrast might. However, since you've had 3 Treo 600's this didn't seem to be noticeable to you.

Regarding speakers, I liked my returned Sprint Treo 600 but to summarize the speakers:

Handset (built-in front) speaker was strong and clear as recorded on a decent digital answering system. But it would start cutting out after one or two long calls when the phone became warm due to heavy battery use sending/receiving during calls lasting an hour or more. My guess is that as the phone became quite warm a bad internal connection or chip would fail.

Speakerphone: Microphone recorded very well with a strong, rich sound (a little stronger than the handset mode). The speakerphone speaker distorted at volume above 50%. Seemed to work best laid on a table backside down.

Headset speaker/mike: The standard supplied headset mike was good; again strong, rich sound. The headset speaker (earbud) was understandable but a little muffled. I found that using the headset for long calls, with the screen backlight turned off (Sandman) that the speaker sound did not cut out and the phone ran a little cooler.

From the posts, the speaker implementation on some Treo 600's seems to be a problem.
  9.    #69  
    This is a post about how I finally resolved my issues with the Treo 600... I had 3 from Sprint, and 2 from T-Mobile (plus my wife's)... tried from Dec 03 to May 04 to get a satisfactory, working Treo but finally had to "give up" (for now). This is not a 'rant' or complaint... it's just some fact-sharing for those who may be interested.

I finally gave up on the latest Sprint Treo 600 about 3 weeks ago, a couple of weeks after getting it replaced... but I will come back to it when they update the telephone chipset, AND add a high-res screen. I was having the same "outgoing audio voice quality" problems with the newest Treo 600. The Sprint techs in Palo Alto tested it, and confirmed that the phone had severe audio quality problems. They also confirmed that it was "missing" 80% of incoming calls, due to network registration problems. Between my survey on this thread, and personal experience (e.g. hearing from a number of employees in different Sprint stores about all the frustrated Treo 600 users) I now am completely confident that I "had it right"... the Treo 600 needs a major engineering rework, on the PHONE side. But it's a great concept, and I'm sure PalmOne will get it right (eventually). Not sure they'll be able to keep up with the competition in the SmartPhone space, though... at the rate they're going.

Here's the interesting part: I found a BETTER solution than the Treo 600. Now that I'm involved in starting my next new business, I am using my cell phone HEAVILY every day, and I must actually (a) be able to RECEIVE incoming calls (the phone must RING); and (b) be understood when I call someone (no "muffled audio", "I can't hear you", etc). e.g. I'm max'ing out my 2500 min/month plan on the cell and have to really count on it.

So here's what I've gravitated to, and I really like it, although I'm carrying TWO devices. My long but ultimately failed struggle to get a satisfactory-quality Treo 600 was all about AVOIDING carrying two devices, and about carrying a small, integrated voice+data device. I purchased a Sony Clie NX-73 "Palm", and a Sanyo 8200 Sprint phone. I am using the NX-73 with a Wi-Fi card at home, the office, Starbucks/Border's/Airport T-Mobile Wi-Fi hotspots, etc. It has a beautiful hi-res screen, and can be used either with it's (great) keyboard, or folded over in stylus mode (for more discreet applications, when you don't want people noticing you using it. I've owned MANY Palmtops, and the NX-73 is the best one yet (I had NZ-90's twice; they were too large/bulky). I carry the NX-73 in a NUTSHELL holster; it's sleek and rides tight to the belt. On the cellphone side, I got a Sanyo 8200, it is small and rides just behind the NX-73 on my belt. OK, two units but you hardly notice the cell phone... and it's a GREAT cell phone. I had a similar terrific experience with the Sanyo 8100 on Sprint... this one has added a speakerphone, and many other great features. It has crystal-clear outgoing audio; everything works like it should... and it takes good pictures.

Sunday I ran the "Bay to Breakers" footrace (www.baytobreakers.com) and used the NX-73 with a 1GB Memory Stick to take photos of all the insanity. Then mid-race, having max'd out the memory stick (I also keep a large MP3 library on there, and backups) I switched to the Sanyo 8200 smartphone for photos, and send out about 35 of them using Sprint's "picture mail" service (a bit lame, but my jumbo Sprint account includes it for free).

Like last month, when I streamed live video of Barry Bonds hitting #661 to my sister in Kansas City (via the stadium's new WiFi network and my Sony Vaio TR2 mini-laptop with built-in camera, over Yahoo! Messenger), running the Bay to Breakers' with NX-73+Sanyo 8200 was a bit of a "high tech moment"

I'm all set for now; and no Treo headaches! Anyone else experiencing frustration with the phone side of their Treo, suggest you consider getting a "real" cell phone plus a Clie!!

Steve Bell
    San Francisco, CA

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10 (Windows CE)>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx >Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>TMobile Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73+Sanyo 8200+iPod
    Last edited by sbell22; 12/11/2004 at 10:02 PM.
  10.    #70  
    After a hiatus away from the Treo - using two devices, the Sanyo cell phone with a Clie TH55 palm - I'm BACK on the Treo (using a just-purchased Treo 650) and happily, the phone is working great this time!

They seem to have fixed the telephone chipset. Much better audio quality; headset sounds as good as handset, etc. This phone is not "missing" incoming calls (that is, not routing incoming calls directly into voicemail without ringing, like my Treo 600's were prone to do). The high-resolution display is terrific, and the keyboard tweaks are favorable, for me.

it's great to be back on an integrated device...
    Last edited by sbell22; 12/11/2004 at 10:23 PM.
    steve bell

Steve, I'm glad you're having good luck with the 650. I gave up, and right now I'm using the PPC-6601. The audio qualitity is GREAT! I do miss some things about the 600 though.

There was a time when I thought you and I were the only ones who understood the poor the audio problems that the 600 had.
  12.    #72  
    What is the PPC-6601? Not...... a (no)... POCKET PC? no!...

Yeah, back in December 2003 when I first started noting the rather severe audio quality problems with the Treo 600 on this thread and others, it felt like I was preaching heresy!
    But now (a year later) I'm looking at the threads, surprisingly, it seems to be a known fact and mainstream discussion point! I've been away from
    the TC threads for a while though, so haven't caught up completely yet.

Thanks for your note, and I hope you find you way back to a Treo (650!!)
    Last edited by sbell22; 12/12/2004 at 01:38 AM.
    steve bell

13.    #73  
    OK, this is my "final report" on the Treo 600/650 outgoing audio voice quality issue (this is late March, 2005). I have been using Treo 600/650's for almost 18 months now. After extensive useage/evaluation of the Treo 600 *and* 650, I have finally concluded that although both are marvelous devices and feats of engineering, good pda's, and really slick/fun devices, they are also VERY MARGINAL CELLULAR PHONES. So... since I depend upon my cell phone heavily for business use, I am *DONE* with them! I'm a little ticked at PalmOne/Sprint because they have let this situation continue for so long, essentially pushing "Beta-level"/marginal products upon the unknowing public. They've certainly wasted a lot of my time! But the solution for me is not to complain, but instead to buy better/competing products. Unfortunately, one of those products comes from PalmOne, lol!

When I first moved to the Treo 650, I thought they had "fixed" the outgoing audio quality problem. They had indeed improved it; my Treo 650 sounded better than any of the Treo 600's. However, after a couple of months' of use I discovered that the (Sprint) T650 *still* was a very marginal cellular telephone. On call after call people would tell me "you sound garbled/muffled/like you have a bad connection", "i can hardly hear you", etc. I traded it in early March, just to make sure I didn't have a defective unit or bad production run; I couldn't detect any change with the second T650.

In disgust with both Sprint and the Treo products (as cell phones), I recently purchased a Tungsten T5 pda complemented by a Blackberry 7290 phone/email device, to replace my Treo 650. Talk about an improvement!! The incoming audio is dramatically better, and I've had a whole different reaction to my incoming calls, since I am no longer using "the distortion machine" (my Treo 650) to make outgoing calls. I also suspect that Cingular's GSM network (yep, dumped Sprint too!) is part of the solution.

Good riddance, Treo! I am finally *so done* with you. Yep, the little keyboard is a dilly, but so is my Blackberry's. In addition to phone and email, I am using the Blackberry (sync'd to MS-Outlook) for all of my workflow/'Task' (Project and Next Action) managment, so I still benefit from a thumb-typing keyboard for that. The T5 is a graffiti/stylus based device, but that works out great for the apps I have on there; and I'm pretty good with Graffiti anyway. Besides, for anything requiring extended text entry on the Palm side, I can either use a Bluetooth keyboard, or do the text entry on the laptop (in Outlook/Excel/Word/etc) and sync it. And hey, the T5's display makes the Treo 650's look like a joke!

It amazes me that at this late date, the Treo engineering group can't put a decent CDMA modem into a Treo "smartphone" device. And perhaps Sprint's CDMA network performance (or lack thereof) is part of the problem as well. Oh well, that's no longer my problem....
    Last edited by sbell22; 03/27/2005 at 05:11 AM.
    steve bell

I recently got a Treo 600 and it is nearly perfect for me. It is a cell phone, mp3 player, camera, easy internet surfing and more. But the "phone" is way too poor for voice quality. I just got a headset and people can see the difference between the headset and the phone itself. Speaker phone is even worst, people can't even hear when I put it so close to my mouth (where should I talk to make them hear better though?). The phone is really disapointing but overall, it is good. DON'T BUY A TREO 600 WITHOUT A GOOD HEADSET!!!

--Duy--
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234