View Poll Results: Does your Treo sound clearer from a headset, than when you use it as a phone?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - clearer from a headset!

36 46.15%
  • No difference!

31 39.74%
  • I couldn't care less

11 14.10%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    a follow-up... this afternoon I went by my Sprint store and explained the situation with an amicable rep there that I've been working with. Despite the fact that I didn't purchase the phone there, he confirmed that Sprint does provide the support for Handspring now (for Sprint/CDMA phones), so they are perfectly willing to exchange the phone for me.

The only catch is, despite this being the primary/anchor Sprint store in downtown San Francisco, they have yet to obtain and sell a Treo 600. They have no idea how long it'll be until they have them in stock. And they have a long waiting list.

I do want to exchange this phone though, just to confirm for myself that this problem effects a high % of the production units. It would seem to, just based upon the results of the poll at the top of this thread, and the feedback. But I'll swap mine out and report back, as another data point.

If I figure out how to record a voicemail playback into an audio file (.WMA, .MP3, whatever) that I can post on the web, I'll also post some comparitive recordings online for those that are interested.

I looked at the Palm Tungsten/T3 today. It's pretty cool having that huge high-res screen, and the way it collapses. It has a lot going for it. But you're stuck with straight graffiti data entry... no keyboard. I am pretty good with Graffiti (both 1 & 2) after using it for years; but I can enter data much more quickly and accurately on the T600, I really like the keyboard. So even with a Bluetooth link, the T3 already is an inferior PDA for me. And some of the best stuff with the T600, is a result of the phone/datalink integration with the Palm PDA.

Still stickin' with the T600 for now! But I'd happily sign onto a class-action lawsuit against PalmOne for releasing a really shoddy telephone!! No beef or chip with them, it's just the only thing I can think of that might really get their attention to fix these key flaws (I'm also referring to the fact that ONLY the T600 misses a third or more of my incoming calls; all other sprint phones I've had work great, on the same #/in the same calling area).

A class action is unlikely to happen, though... unless we get really lucky and some aggressive class-action lawyer reads this thread and sees the connection to that surprising acquistion of Handspring by Palm. I'm thinking this should be eligible for a suit for that reason. I'd be surprised if a carefully-constructed timeline didn't show that HS rushed the T600 out the door early in order to get the acquistion by PalmOne done, which lined a lot of pockets, and saved them from going under (now they have loads of valuable Palm stock instead!).

I know a renowned technical guy in Sunnyvale (a PhD electrical engineer that specializes in helping lawyers) that could study this and provide solid technical data to "set on fire" (the relative performance of) the phone they're selling!

Hope lives eternal... now back to using my lousy $600 phone (but great pda)
    Last edited by sbell22; 01/17/2004 at 11:48 PM.
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
  2.    #42  
    It looks like I'll be able to record (a recording of) Voicemail from my Treo 600 using "Total Recorder" (http://www.highcriteria.com/). As I can get to it, I'll download that, make a recording of the Treo using all three modes, and post it on the web with a link on this thread.
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
  3.    #43  
    A follow-up regarding my interim fix to the outgoing audio problem (use your Treo in SPEAKERPHONE mode, while holding it as a handset).

I experimented with using the Treo 600 as a handset, while in speakerphone mode this weekend. One way to use it that works pretty well, it to (first put it into speakerphone mode and turn the volume down) hold the Treo with the speaker facing INWARDS towards your ear (but a couple of inches away); so the screen is facing AWAY from you (OUTWARDS).

Since the microphone is on the back side, this also results in improved acoustic coupling into the Mic. As an added advantage, you'll no longer have problems with "ear smears" or "accidental screen taps / activations" on the Treo's screen when using it as a phone. You may have to experiment with getting the phone position and volume level right.

Make a recording, it sounds a LOT better when you're in speakerphone mode. I prefer a Headset, but on the Treo 600 I have discovered they make you sound "tinny" (very harsh) to the callee.
    steve bell

4.    #44  
    I think 2.0.8 is for the GSM phones.

There is a 1.1 now for Sprint phones.
    See the new thread(s), mileage may vary
    Some are saying the phone is hard reset/
    deleted during the install process, so you
    will want to be sure to get the latest,
    and back up before installing the new
    firmware.

In the last few days I have learned that
    the "missed calls" problem may indeed
    be due more to sprint's service, than the
    Treo. It's hard to figure why this would only
    effect the T6. Anyway the phone registers
    itself through the network, into a centralized
    (regional) database, when you're "online".
    Standard cellular stuff. Apparently a lot of
    the "missed incoming calls" occur when the
    network errantly doesn't think you're online --
    because of some kind of network coherency
    problems.

I am thinking about trying a T6 on T-Mobile, now
    that they are becoming available. They have a
    14-day trial period, and are happy to serve Sprint
    customers. If I do, I'll post a report.
    steve bell

Steve,

I swapped out my phone at the sprint store, and the replacement has the same issues. They checked out the phone at the store and said that there was nothing wrong with it, but they swapped it out anyway. I continue to experiement, and there are different ways that I can hold the phone to produce better quality sound, and if I talk very loudly it sounds better.

I have come to the conclusion that it's likely that there is not a bad batch of phones, but rather a bad design. With the small hole for the microphone being in the back of the phone the results that you are going to get are not going to be good, and they are going to be inconsistent. The next time you are recording yourself in a test, position the phone in many different ways, and also cup your hand in front of your mouth to kind of "bounce" the sound waves at the back of the phone where the microphone is located. When you do that, you will probably get outstanding sound quality. I did.

Now, I'm going to look for a high quality headset to use while I try to find a replacement telephone. As soon as there is a better alternative, I will be switching from the T600.
  6.    #46  
    yesterday was the last straw for me. I was trying to call in a lunch order to the Deli and the guy kept saying "i can't understand you!". When I got there he had made the wrong sandwich. had similar problems on another call.

I went over and bought a Tungsten T3, and started moving my apps over. I will see if I can get Sprint to take my Treo 600 back, although that may be tough since I've had it almost 8 weeks. I am going to have them re-activate my old Sanyo 8100 phone today, it will be a relief to have a phone that WORKS, and doesn't miss calls to boot.

If other users could post their experience on this thread, that might help. If we can get PalmOne's attention on this defect, they can start fixing their hardware; but that's likely to take several months even if they were to start right away.

I am giving up on my Treo 600 only with great regret, it is such a slick unit. That keyboard I am really going to miss! And having everything in such a small form factor. On the other hand, I am liking the extendable hi-res screen on the Tungsten T3, and having a (seperate) phone that WORKS properly. One that doesn't generate "muffled" outgoing audio, and doesn't miss a lot of the incoming calls.

I am going to print this thread out and take it with me to the Sprint store. If in the future, they release a Treo 600 with a telephone that works properly, I would purchase another one. But I would test the phone out very carefully during the "return period" next time.

IMHO (experience), the Treo 600 just isn't ready for "prime-time" yet, despite their full-page ads in the Wall St Journal (etc)! Regrettably.

steve
    steve bell

Steve- I have had the same cycle of emotions with my treo300.

Stage I - Enjoy being an early adopter.
    Stage II - Learning to love daily organizing conveniences and tolerating the phone.
    Stage III - Dependent on the data features, but frustrated by the phone performance routinely
    Stage IV - Dreading the thought of switching solutions, but ready to snap because it sucks as a phone

It is precisely for that reason that I am on this forum. I want to know if the Treo 600 has moved past these issues, and the answer is clearly no. This is puzzling, because there isn't really a good reason that more advanced hardware can't do telephony better.

Sad at your plight, but hope you don't disappear off this forum. You are one of the enlightened voices in what can be a cacophonous racket.

Anyway, I just might post the stages as a poll to see where people stand.
    I followed this thread, and got rather worried that the voice quality is as bad as some people stated. I had someone else call me with the phone to a land line, and I must say that there's no problems whatsoever, it's crystal clear.

However, I have updated the firmware to 2.08 which made the speakerphone sound quality improve, perhaps it's linked to this.

Also, I have a GSM phone, not sure if there's a difference betweem the GSM and CDMA phones?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    As a CDMA Treo600 owner, I got nervous after reading through this thread so I decided to do some of my own testing. I left myself VM's, and also had my wife call me from the Treo while I talked to her on the landline. I also spent some time today calling some buddies with my Treo and asking them how I sounded. In all cases I was using the phone "normally." (no speakerphone or hands-free device) Sound quality in every test was excellent. My 2 buddies couldn't tell I was calling them from a cell phone. When I had my wife call me during my other test, I thought the clarity was excellent. I even had her call me with her T-Mobile phone to compare and contrast. Very similar, just a bit louder than the Treo.

So I have to honestly say that this is definitely not an overall design flaw. I have a hard time believing that this mysterious issue affects the majority of Treo users. I have hardware rev. C if anyone cares.

As for the "missing calls" problem, I'm pretty confident that this is a network issue. It happens to me occasionally, but only in my house. My friend has a sanyo 8100 and it happened to him too while he was visiting me. I've also owned other Sprint phones that did this as well. It sucks, but fortunately it doesn't happen very often. (for me, anyway)
  10.    #50  
    thanks guys for the info. jacko, i'm not feeling all that enlightened right now I plan to stay on these treo forums, there are a lot of great threads. And per below, I'll be needing them as soon as I can find a GSM T600

arild and minsc, i do believe you when you say your Treo phones are working fine and don't have this problem. There are enough people that have posted to say their Treo 600 is "crystal clear" that it's become obvious that not ALL (100%) of the Treo 600's are afflicted with this problem. But I also have been getting a number of private messages from other Sprint/CDMA Treo 600 users, who have the muffled audio problem and even after replacing their phones, it continues to plague them.

your comments gave me an idea. Perhaps this IS something related to Sprint (Minsc has a "clear" CDMA phone, but he didn't say which carrier). Anyway, I'm going to see if I can get my hands on a T-Mobile Treo 600 to test it out. If those are "crystal clear", then I'll just move my cell# from Sprint to T-Mobile. I'd have to live with the slower (30kbps) GPRS data when browsing/emailing; but the phone performance would make up for that.

I am currently switched over to a Tungsten T3 (plus Sanyo 8100 phone). The T3's pretty awesome: Hi-Res landscape-switchable display, terrific ebook readability, fantastic 'Shadow' outlines in Hi-Res, etc all are great. But I sure miss that Treo 600 keyboard!! And the form factor. So my current plan is to figure out where I can get a T-Mobile Treo. Maybe that will get me a decent telephone, AND the T600 form factor.

Aargh
    Last edited by sbell22; 01/30/2004 at 11:55 AM.
    steve bell

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Steve, yes I am with Sprint. What hardware revision was your Treo? Is it possible that this was a hardware "bug" that got fixed in a later revision??
  12.    #52  
    I'm on "Rev B" hardware. It's a good thought and at one point I was ready to swap it in for "Rev C" hardware. But I've had a lot of message from "Rev C" owners who are having this problem. I would have swapped it anyway, but Sprint in San Francisco has yet to see a Treo 600! I guess there's always the equipment replacement plan... but that's no longer an option since I had them re-provision me onto the Sanyo 8100 (coverage follows what's active). If I went back to the Treo, then it's a 3-week wait until you can excersize.

I look on eBay and they are selling new Sprint Treo 600's for $305. So if I sold this phone on eBay we're probably talking $200-$250 (best case). Hardly seems worth the trouble! Unfortunately, I paid $599 for it, in early December. I also wouldn't feel good about selling what's not a great product to someone else. So it looks like another PDA/phone for the "junk box", lol
    steve bell

Extensive testing results here

I'm a Cingular Unit user on the Cingular Network (GSM).
    Firm version 2.02
    Hardware B

I had received no complaints from anyone while using the 600 in Handset or Speakerphone mode. I did indeed have complaints from the Headset, however, I chalk that up to a really poor older headset I just had sitting around.

A quick summary is that both in Handset and Headset mode I have wonderful quality AS LONG AS I have good GSM signal strength.

Here are the details of my test.

Location - Home Office - Signal strength 70% or higher.

In handset mode, I made voicemail calls, had my wife call me with it to the house land-line, and varied my hand position on how I held the unit.

I was able to tell a slight difference in the quality based on how I positioned my hand. It seems that providing a "slight" cup with my left hand near the mic made a nice improvement. I did this by holding the unit near the top with two fingers on each side and one finger on the back near the speaker, then was able to move the palm of my hand slightly away from the mic. This was the best position for qaulity I found in this mode (which is good because it is the default way I hold it).

In every position the calls were clear with no background or static involved. In short, a very enjoyable call.

I then tried out the speaker phone in some of the ways that Steve (sbell22) has suggested - the poor handset quality/use the speakerphone and low volume workaround. I did find it usable, and the quaility was fine, however, I am not willing (nor do I need to thankfully) to perform such a workaround during calls. I usually am involved with something when the phone rings and I need to get in and out of calls quickly.

Addtionally, I made just some regular speakerphone type calls. I left voicemail to myself while holding the phone in front of me near my waist and talking "down" to it. The quality was wonderful, I was VERY impressed. It did NOT sound like what I am used to from a speakerphone.

Next, I placed the phone on my desk and stood near it (yes stood not sitting down at the desk) and was still very happy. The result was a call that sounded about what I would expect from any office speakerphone. Again, it is very usuable in this mode and not a bother at all for the person I am speaking to (which was myself in these tests).

My next round of tests I made from a location here in Houston that I have always had bad reception in. I once again ran through the exact same tests as I did above but from the new (worse reception) locations.

My results surprised me. In every circumstance, the quality was poor at best. On no handheld test could I understand my voicemails to my satisfaction. The fact that I was the one leaving my own voicemails is the only reason I could understand them.

The speakerphone in this location picked up more background noise (although I heard none myself) then I could handle.

The final results for me?

GSM signal seems to be the most important issue on the Cingular network. I was able to reproduce the poor quaility Steve has spoken of, but only when signal strength was at "1 bar". As long as I have 2 bars of signal, then the Treo 600 has a great sound on the Cingular/GSM network.

I would suggest checking your signal strentgh, and possibly porting your number over to a GSM network (if your willing to do all that AND wait the long time to get a GSM T600 that is).

Conclusion:
    I am very happy with my 600 and the voice quality in almost any situation other than bad signal areas (which I had issues with on my last 3 phones).

I would be pretty ticked off if in Steve's position (my sympathies sir) and would look heavily at leaving the Sprint network.

Good luck Steve, keep us updated as to your results with the Tungsten. Good friend of mine has a T3 and a SE-610 and loves them both. Seems he and I can pretty much do the same things.
  14.    #54  
    Great job on the testing, Brian! Excellent feedback!! If we could get enough Treo 600 users to do that kind of testing, we could really figure this out.

Guess what. I checked with the local T-Mobile store again this morning, and still no T-Mobile GSM Treo 600's. But I put my name on the list (again - I first checked in with them in early December).
    Well, they just called me and the first T-Mobile Treo 600's have arrived. So I'm headed over there now to buy one!!

I will report in after some testing. They DO have a 14-day return period, just in case <G>
    steve bell

15.    #55  
    Once at the store, I decided to buy *two* T-Mobile GSM Treo 600's -- one for me, and one for my wife. I was going to get her a new laptop for our anniversary (which falls on Valentine's day), but this seemed like a better idea (she's using an old Zaurus palmtop - gasp!!). So she's getting an "early" anniversary present this year <g>

T-Mobile has entered the order to move both our #'s off of Sprint... so within a few hours, with some luck, I'll be able to start testing the new GSM/T-Mobile Treo 600.

Now... I hope these things WORK, lol ...
    steve bell

16.    #56  
    Our new pair of T-Mobile GSM Treo 600's came alive this morning - the number portability transfer from Sprint took about 18 hours.

Glad to report, the new Treo sounds great! Like a normal cell phone.

I am somewhat surprised that this problem is carrier-dependent. I had it figured that it was a flaw in the internal signal processing. Like many things in engineering, the facts are often a surprise that need explaining after they confound you Certainly, many of the Treo's have SOME kind of problems in the telephone/speakerphone department... but now I have one that performs well enough for my regular usage. Hooray!

Speakerphone mode (on this new GSM T6), surprisingly, is pretty awful sounding, as reported by others. Ironic, since my Sprint Treo 600 had a great sounding speakerphone (both ways). But i don't use speakerphone mode much, except for listening (checking voicemail, waiting on hold).

I sold my Sprint Treo, and showed them how to get it replaced at Sprint. I will return the Tungsten T3 on Monday. I'll miss that high-res screen for spreadsheets, but the easy data entry on the Treo is much more important to me.

I'm a happy camper now! More later after further testing.
    Last edited by sbell22; 01/31/2004 at 02:09 PM.
    steve bell

Very good to hear.

So it seems the common factor for poor sound quality is CDMA/GSM (or rather Sprint vs. All Others).
    Way to hang in there, steve. Good to hear things are better on t-mobile.

I am a T270 t-mobile user waiting for the upgrade program on the t600, which is taking forever to show up, even though people seem to be getting their tmobile t6's already.

Like you I am dependent on my data features but I will not get another phone with the same phone impairment my t270 has.

Your post has given me hope that the T6 could work.

Quick question for you steve: how is the earpiece function. That's what I use all the time when I'm driving. (Can't hold the phone up all the time and don't like speakerphone).

Any of the problems you were reporting earlier?
  19.    #59  
    hey jacko, hope you have some luck getting a T6 out of T-Mobile. They got 60 of them at the T-Mobile store here in the financial district in San Francisco... the sales guy told me today they aren't going as fast as they expected. He said they had a torrent of people wanting them bad in December, but by now many have given up. I'll bet they don't last long, though. He had no idea how many are in stock across the T-Mobile outlets in the U.S.

I used the Shure headset today and nobody complained. But I was busy with the family today so didn't have time to test or make any recordings. Will try to get a post up tomorrow, about that. I am hoping the headset is going to sound OK, *should* sound better than handset-mode, but we'll see. It is disappointing that the speakerphone (reportedly) sounds so bad on outgoing audio; although I have yet to record it and hear it myself. But I can live with that.
    steve bell

20.    #60  
    Here is the final disposition (for now) - we took both the T-Mobile Treo's back.

Once I used the T-Mobile cell phone a bit, I started getting complaints about the voice quality when I was using the headset, and on the speakerphone. In handset mode, there was no problem - crystal clear. But I can't hold the phone to my ear *all* the time I'm on the phone! There has to be a usable speakerphone or headset capability. And I tried 4 different headsets; only the one supplied with the T6 didn't have an annoying "RF buzz" pickup problem. But with the standard, in-line headset most callees would say "can hardly hear you" or "you sound muffled". Using the speakerphone the sound was worse; they consistently would complain about a "buzzing" sound. But back onto handset, no problem! (unlike my previous, Sprint Treo which had outgoing voice quality problems in handset mode). A lot of this may be network-related, per previous posts.

I know there are some Treo users out there without telephone/voice quality problem but I finally decided I wasn't one of the lucky ones. Love the form factor and the keyboard... but just couldn't live with a rinky-dink phone performance; and I really wanted a high-res screen. But the bottom line was, since I frequently spend 2000+ minutes/month using the phone -- either the headset, or the speakerphone *must* work properly.

So I returned our T-Mobile Treos (on the 14th day of their 14-day return policy). My wife's gone to a Nokia cell and her old palmtop; I'm now using have a Nokia cell "bluetooth paired" to a H4355 Pocket PC. Yeah, I ratted out to the PPC camp!! Here's a photo, hi-res screen *and* a keyboard!!

http://bellspage.textamerica.com/?r=407899

I will probably come back and try a Treo in 6 months.... maybe by then they will rev the phone hardware. Or maybe I'll go with the phone version of the PPC I'm using, which is rumored out in June, from T-Mobile (I won't hold my breath for that one

I do miss the very small form factor of the Treo. On the other hand, having hi-res is terrific!! I'm using Nutshell's H4355 PPC case, and a bluetooth headset. It's a very usable, small, and fully-functional mobile office setup. There is some compromise but at least I have the *quality*. Sigh <G>
    Last edited by sbell22; 02/18/2004 at 07:40 AM.
    steve bell

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast