View Poll Results: Does your Treo sound clearer from a headset, than when you use it as a phone?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - clearer from a headset!

36 46.15%
  • No difference!

31 39.74%
  • I couldn't care less

11 14.10%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    The version number is on that screen... and on your Home/Info/Version screen... Sprint users are on v1.0. That v2.08 update seems to be a somewhat obscure update for GSM users.

steve
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
    I noticed this very same phenomenon the day that I got the phone. I thought it very strange that the speakerphone appeared to have better quality than using the Treo as a regular phone.

So, I did lots of testing just as has been suggested. I used my old trustworthy Nokia and the quality was signficantly better on the Nokia. People were reporting that I sounded as if calling from inside a cup.

Then, I tested (and love) a Plantronics headset. WHOA, everyone said that the voice quality was as good as a land line. So, what's going on?

Well, it's actually quite simple. Look at the back of your Treo, near the bottom, opposite the headset jack. Yes, THAT HOLE houses the MICROPHONE - ON THE BACK OF THE PHONE. The "cupped" sound was due to the way that I was holding the phone. The bottom of the Treo was cupped in the palm of my hand and occasionally in fact covering that little hole.

I have simply adjusted the way that I hold the phone to make sure that little hole is unobstructed and everyone says that the quality is fantastic on the Treo.

I hope that this is helpful!
  3.    #23  
    Very interesting, Pilot -- some nice detective work there!

Back when I was at Bell Labs' designing speakerphone and telephone stations, a product would spend *months* in acoustic test as they finalized/tested the microphone placement/physical design. The position of the mic and surrounding hardware are crucial to get good mic gain. I'd be surprised if they hadn't painstakingly done the same with the T600. But you never know.

I'll do the same testing with my unit and report back. Can you elaborate a bit more as to how you're now holding the Treo? When I try to speak directly into the Mic, i end up with the earpiece much further away from my ear.

Maybe the way to use this thing is in speakerphone mode, with the volume lower. The speakerphone mode is going to have higher gain active in the Mic path.

once again, thanks for some good/thoughtful work! this has been my only real complaint with the treo.

steve
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
    When I first got the Treo (and likely because as a phone, it's a bit big and heavy), I was holding the Treo solidly in my hand. Basically, the hand was pressed firmly against the back and both sides. Thus, the microphone was nearly completely blocked.

I now hold the Treo more like I hold any other phone. In my left hand, there's virtually no issue as the microphone (from the front) is located on the right. And thus, it's unobstructed. In my right hand, I hold it "looser." That is, the side of the phone rests against along the line of my thumb. Shall I say, in the meaty part of my palm. Then I use my fingertips to hold the opposite side with my pointer finger resting on the back for stability. The important thing is that the phone rests slightly lower in my palm than I at first held it, thus, the microphone is not in the "cup" of my palm.

It's virtually the same position that I hold a landline phone in - just with a heavier, but shorter handset.
    Everyone I have asked has replyed that it sounded great.
    (Before and After the 2.09 update).

Is anyone using the GSM version seeing this issue? Most of the replies to the negative have appeared to be Sprint users.

Hardware "B"
    Firmware "2.09"
    Software "1.09-INT
    Network "AWS"
    I'm having the same issues with poor voice quality. I've done various experiments with speakerphone mode and regular mode and talking directly into the mike that's located in a crazy location, and I've used several different headsets. My quality is so poor that is sounds like my head is in a bucket.

I'm going to the Sprint store to swap this phone out. Maybe it's a defect that some phones have or something.
  7.    #27  
    could you clarify, is your voice quality poor on both speakerphone and headset mode, or better with the headset?

steve
    steve bell

My headset is poor quality and I wasn't pleased.

On speakerphone, it was good. It's somewhat better with the headset; so, I'm considering buying a decent one to use.
  9.    #29  
    yeah, that is consistent with the malfunction that I see. "Muddy" voice (outgoing) while using it as a handset; and clear voice when using it as a speakerphone. Also, with any of several headsets I get clear voice. Not the kind with the "mic in the cord", all boom headsets, but nothing fancy except the Shure.

good luck,
    steve bell

First, no one I've talked to has complained about my voice quality, nor do they seem to have any problem understanding me.

Second, leaving myself voice mails, I DO get better voice quality using the Standard headset than using the built in mic. But boy does the ear piece in that headset suck wind!

Third, I noticed that how I hold the phone makes a difference in sound quality. I've been holding the phone near the top, with the fingers of my left hand holding the edge of the phone at screen height. If I hold the phone lower, so the bottom left corner is hitting the palm of my hand, and my fingers holding the right side at keyboard level, I get better sound quality. I think having my hand cupped down near the microphone may reflect more of my voice into the mic.

The quality probably could be better, but I don't think it's awful. OTOH, if I lived on my cell phone all day long like some people do, I might be disatisfied.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I spoke with a Sprint rep. She told me that it sounds like something is wrong with the phone and the quality shouldn't sound like it does and that's not the quality that they see in all Treo 600's. She recommended that I go to the Sprint Store to have it checked out. I'm on my way now. I'll let you know how it goes.
  12.    #32  
    yeah, the problem is the Sprint rep's seem to be clueless about the Treo 600 situation. Even HS (PalmOne's) engineers may not yet understand the severity of this problem. To me, this seems to be clearly shaking out as a design (engineering) defect with the phone... you can see that reflected in the results of the poll at the top of this thread.

I got the same answer at the local Sprint store ('your phone is defective'). It's the easy answer/out for them, and the obvious answer to the uninitiated.

The tech rep at the main Sprint store here in San Fran. also emphatically told me that the problem with the Treo 600 missing about a third of incoming calls (even with a strong signal), is due to the the Sprint service and cannot possibly be related to a problem with the Treo 600 itself. He was quite obstinant about it! wrong again, Sprint... I *never* had this problem with my Sanyo 8100, Sanyo 460, etc (many other sprint phones on the same #/service, in the same area). I could go back to my Sanyo 8100 at any time, and that problem would clear up immediately (along with the poor-quality outgoing audio, lol).

Let us know how your exhange goes... if this is something that just effects a % of the Treo's out there, then trying an exchange might be worthwhile. But I'm not optimistic you'll see a change... I'm going to wait a few months (as long as possible) for them to rev the hardware, then I'll exchange mine.
    steve bell

given that "Sprint" treos have different hardware, this could account for why the problem appears to be isolated to Sprint users.
    I have a Sprint and a Cingular T600. The Sprint speakerphone sounds great. The Cingular speakerphone is almost unuseable, Harsh, the rings while you are dialing are SO LOUD THAT YOU MUST TURN DOWN THE VOLUME HALF WAY - and, then when the party answers, turn volume back up - but only 2/3 or there is SO MUCH STATIC, you can't hear.

I don't know if this is an induvidual phone issue, or a difference in the CDMA/GSM versions....but I'm asking for a replacement for my GSM Cingular phone.

It is odd, however, that the WORST Trouble is when I'm dialing/talking to OTHER CINGULAR CUSTOMERS (my SPOUSE for example)...I wonder if being on the same network makes it worse?

Anyone returned a phone for a replacement and gotten a better-working phone?
    Hitting 'Em Hard, Long and Straight
    There are two sprint stores in the Raleigh area with technicians. I went to the first one, and they told me that the phone was fine. There was nothing wrong with it at all. I asked them how they determined that, and they said that they "hooked it to a machine that told them so." I asked what the machine tested. They told me, "signal strength." I explained there was no trouble with signal strength, and he said that they tested audio quality too. I said how. They said they made a phone call and they were able to complete it fine. I talked to these guys for about 5 minutes, but they were "binary thinkers" -- it works or it doesn't. They made a successful call with my phone; so, it was fine.

I drove across town to the other store, but there were about 15 people in line waiting for the tech. I'll try again later.
  16.    #36  
    WF, I've had several experiences just like that at several Bay Area Sprint stores. Either real hard to get to a tech (long, long wait). Or, you can get one but they're incredibly adamnant but with no technical info/knowledge to back it up.

must be something in their drinking water?

Or maybe some special hiring criteria??

haha... but the joke's on us!
    steve bell

Poor Handspring. They try to make a good product, but the truth is, they have unacceptable behavior and integrity. This directly shows what kind of person Donna and Jeff Hawkins are. The reason, I found out, why the phone reception quality sucks so bad, is because they made an inferior product and barely passed the radiation FCCA or whatever tests. That is why the earpiece on the Sprint phones are raised. I found out that my friend from best buy had a friend there with a radiation box tester, and tested all the cell phones at Best Buy. The Treo 600 had the HIGHEST level of radiation when put flat on the radiation box, out of all the phones there. Handspring would not tell you this. They have to save their asses, since they're dead broke. Therefore they raised the earpiece to protrude out just enough such that when the phone lied flat on the radiation box, it JUST BARELY passed FCCA radiation levels. Because they raised the earpiece and they hadn't intended on doing this, and they were strapped for time and were trying to keep their promise of releasing on time, they cut corners and gave a rat's *** about the quality of the earpiece and thus thats why the reception sucks. Not enough time and effort put in to making a clear sounding phone. Too much focus on battery life, without realizing that a good screen is more important for satisfaction/retention. Well the most important function of a phone, is of course, A PHONE. So that's why I'm returning this POS phone, because my friends have to keep ****ing repeating themselves since I can't decipher what the hell they're saying. Sprint is partially to blame for this. Sprint's network sucks, as do most of the networks. I'm still a believer in the LAN line. Please return your ****ty phone and sue Handspring if you feel you are receiving high levels of radiation, because you are.
  18.    #38  
    SOOO... to summarize, would you say that you are NOT a fan of Handspring, Jeff, and Donna?? hehe

I've not had much trouble with the incoming audio quality, although the speakerphone does have an un-necessary level of distortion (I'd say 10-15% RMS distortion), but it's still quite usable. It's the OUTGOING audio, in handset mode, that's where the trouble is. Not to say that some units don't have that problem.

As to the radiation... that's not a big shocker. I doubt if it's high enough to be a health concern. Besides, you need to use a headset to get decent outgoing audio, so that solves THAT one, lol...

A lot of the high-tech companies run very fast-and-loose WRT product quality, especially at first ship. Your only defense is, return it if you don't like it. I'm keepin' my T6 for now, despite the somewhat shlokky phone implementation. It has so much else going for it... I'll use it, but will be on the lookout for better silicon, and a high-res screen model.

Good to hear from you!,
    steve bell

A Little off topic, given the conversation is related to the "Microphone" and not the speaker

instresting information about the radiation, but don't I know that a person working at "Best Buy" is the best authority. The damage from our Phone/PDA is no more radiation than we get from eating.
  20.    #40  
    I finally got around to running another series of tests on the voice quality from my Treo, to determine if HOLDING the phone differently would help (see Pilot's testing above). I wanted to do it earlier but it's been one of those weeks

I got some interesting results this time -- this round of testing resulted in a way of using the Treo (as a handset, but in speakerphone mode - per below) that may provide a temporary/interim solution for those of us that have noticed (or those of us who's callee's have noticed) this problem with poor outgoing audio quality.

I called a friend who is also a technically-oriented silicon valley guy. He's not "too" picky but he knows what a decent/normal telephone call sounds like. And I also recorded my Treo to voicemail. In each case for 3 configurations:

1. using the Treo as a telephone handset (holding the Treo in my hand) -- this time in various positions; being careful not to muffle or baffle the microphone in any way; holding it the regular way, etc. (various positions). My friend reported the Treo sounded "terrible, can hardly hear you" no matter how I was holding the phone. The recordings sound the same to me.

2. in speakerphone mode, with the Treo face-down, face-up, and also this time, using the Treo as a handset while it's in speakerphone mode! (more on this below). The Treo sounds pretty good in speakerphone mode! The only truly "ok" mode.

3. with a headset (a brand-new Shure noise-cancelling headset -- mentioned elsewhere in these forums as a very good one). The Treo sounds MUCH better than in handset mode with a headset, but the sound is "harsh" and "tinny" -- enough to make the call "grating" to the callee. With my phone, this mode is borderline unusable.

With a headset, the outgoing audio is much clearer and sharper than the audio generated using it as a handset. But what I've learned is, no matter which headset I use, including the new Shure, with a headset the outgoing audio is quite "harsh"; it's hard to listen to. Something about the equalization in the Treo. I wouldn't want to listen to someone calling me for long with sound like that. It's sort of sounds like they're in a barrel, but without the echo. Part of the 3kHz voiceband must have been equalized out. But the advantage with the headset is, you pickup less background noise. I confirmed the Shure even works walking down a busy downtown street near noisy busses, taxis, etc -- I sounded like I was in an office (the noise-cancelling effect really WORKS). In speakerphone mode, you're going to be picking more of that up with the Treo's sensitive Electret mic.

The breakthrough on this round of testing came in testing case #2 - using the speakerphone. My Treo sounds like a normal cell phone (pretty decent) when using the speakerphone. It doesn't matter whether the speakerphone is on a desk, or the Treo is being held in your hand (you can hold it in front of you; or even hold it to your ear; both work quite well). I discovered that using the Treo as a handset (e.g. walking down the street talking on the phone), the phone sounds MUCH better on outgoing audio, than it does in normal/handset mode. This was a real learn that for me, is a "stop-gap" solution which will allow me to keep/use the phone, until HS gets their phone chipset vendor to rev the silicon. That is likely to be 6 months or longer out, at a minimum.

If you are using the T600 as a handset, in speakerphone mode, just turn the speaker volume down. It really isn't much different from using it as a regular phone; just an extra button push is required to throw it into speakerphone mode. The sound comes out the speaker in the back, instead of the earpeice but it works surprisingly well. Not that you'd want to use it that way say, in an elevator But walking down the street, or setting in your office, it's a workaround.

If anyone has suggestions how I could transcribe some Sprint voicemail recordings into a .WMA file (or something like that), I'd post a test recording on the internet, along with a hotlink. So in this thread you could "click on" the recordings and hear what a Treo 600's outgoing audio sounds like in handset mode, vs. speakerphone/headset mode.

This is not a "minor" problem with the device! I really like the integration, email, web (etc etc) capabilities of the Treo -- else I would get rid of mine and buy a Tungsten 'T3' and a Bluetooth phone. Then I'd have a phone that works right, and a high-res Palm. But I don't think there is a Bluetooth phone that works with Sprint. Even if I was willing to change carriers, I suspect I'd still be missing some of the "nifty" things the Treo can do! So I'll suffer along for now...
    Last edited by sbell22; 01/17/2004 at 10:33 AM.
    steve bell

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast