Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It could just be me, or my treo, but in any case, I want to know a AIM program that works well. I've heard about Verichat, the "generic" AIM one, and Chatter. Let me tell you my experiances with them so far....
    1) Downloaded VeriChat. Appeared to be very good, I didn't have to input my buddy list, it said who was on and away, and I could send a message to them. Problem was, I couldn't receive one.
    2) Found "Generic AIM Client" on AOL UK page (or something, don't bother to ask how I found it) and downloaded it directly to the Treo. Launches, signs me on (I show up on other people's PC's) but no one is on my buddy list. Fine. I put people in, none appear to be in the "signed on" category even though I'm sitting at the PC and they clearly are. Send a message to the Screen name on the Treo, it pops up, conversation is fine. But I can't view people that are online, and therefore I can't start a conversation.
    3.) Looked at Chatter's webpage, it seemed to say I would need a new screen name, or something.... decided to wait with that until last, and haven't tried it yet.
    4.) Sprint's "Vision Phone AIM".... Basically same problem as the Generic Client, no one was on, and it didnt seem to register that I added a buddy to the list (it was a webpage form) Didn't try to send a message from the PC to the palm.

Can anyone who has (or hasn't) had these problems either a) help me or b) give me a suggestion for a different client. Feel free to IM me (sn is yuckamuk) or just respond to this.

P.S. The treo is still on the "14 day trial" and if AIM doesn't work, I don't think I'm going to keep it, so respond ASAP.

(edit) OK, i read the UK version has this problem for everyone on one of the other forums.... now for the other 2
    Last edited by yuckamuk; 01/02/2004 at 11:53 AM.
    3.) Looked at Chatter's webpage, it seemed to say I would need a new screen name, or something.... decided to wait with that until last, and haven't tried it yet.
    With Chatter, you need a screen name to log onto Chatter's servers, but you access your current AIM screen name. The Chatter ID is really an invisible process - I highly recommend it.
    You need a username and password to access the Chatter server. You do not _need_ new Yahoo, AIM, MSN, or ICQ usenames though. Some of us Chatter's do have alternate Yahoo or AIM or MSN usernames for when we are on Chatter via the treo so we don't need to remember to shut down one IM session (on the PC) before starting another session up (on the Treo).
    For your verichat problem:
    Make sure you have <100 buddies in your AIM buddy list. This fixed the problem for me.

To confirm you have fixed it, put yourself on your buddy list and try IMing yourself. If you get two messages (duplicates), you can receive.

Another fix that sometimes works for me is just to log into Verichat, go back the phone app, and log into verichat again. The second time usually fixes my inability to receive.
    I heard on Chatter you need to add all your contacts in order for you to see them. Verichat however will automatically list your buddies for you. A problem I've noticed with Verichat is that when you are logged on a PC and you sign on to Verichat, your buddy list wont completely show up unless you log off your PC and then relog back in to Verichat. Normally if you log on to another computer while logged on to a diff one, it will automatically log you off the other computer as soon as you log on to another one. Verichat also keeps you logged on unless you log off. You can use your phone to make calls etc. and once your done and your phone is in the keypad screen idled, you will get a notification when you receive any IM messages. You can either chat, deny, etc. Which I think is a pretty cool feature. If you are currently logged on to Verichat and logged on to a computer then you will have both connection active, and will get IM messages on both. In my opinion Verichat is a good program. Chatter is a little tedious to setup but the advantage of Chatter is a one time purchase. With Verichat you pay $24.95 for the first year then $19.95 a yr renewal fee. If AOL AIM is free to download for your PC, I don't see why they can't do the same for their Palm OS version. Atleast free for their subcribing members. Just my 2cents. Hope this helps...
    Originally posted by aznmode
    I heard on Chatter you need to add all your contacts in order for you to see them. Verichat however will automatically list your buddies for you. A problem I've noticed with Verichat is that when you are logged on a PC and you sign on to Verichat, your buddy list wont completely show up unless you log off your PC and then relog back in to Verichat. Normally if you log on to another computer while logged on to a diff one, it will automatically log you off the other computer as soon as you log on to another one. Verichat also keeps you logged on unless you log off. You can use your phone to make calls etc. and once your done and your phone is in the keypad screen idled, you will get a notification when you receive any IM messages. You can either chat, deny, etc. Which I think is a pretty cool feature. If you are currently logged on to Verichat and logged on to a computer then you will have both connection active, and will get IM messages on both. In my opinion Verichat is a good program. Chatter is a little tedious to setup but the advantage of Chatter is a one time purchase. With Verichat you pay $24.95 for the first year then $19.95 a yr renewal fee. If AOL AIM is free to download for your PC, I don't see why they can't do the same for their Palm OS version. Atleast free for their subcribing members. Just my 2cents. Hope this helps...
    AIM Changed the way they handle multiple logins, now instead of only 1 instance ( ie: Log in on Treo, auto-log off on PC), it allows the existing connections to remain (ie: Stay Logged on PC, Log in on Treo too) but sends you an IM from AOL System Msg stating that you are logged in multiple times.
    At first it seems handy but I had problems sending IMs from my PC and went back to a seperate AIM name for Wireless.
    Pete
    in order to recieve Messages you need to have a buddy list of around 100 give or take a few.. I had the same problem. Good luck, but Verichat is the BEST chat program.. Regular AIM restarts the Treo 600. Chatter is very complicated and not worth the time. Verichat is the way to go.
    Someone who has either program help me understand this:

Does this require airtime to be "chatting?"

Or in the alternative does it use up your GPRS data?

Or does it use your SMS messages?

I have Cingular so GPRS is not unlimited. For some downloads, I use my airtime and dial into "My Wireless Window". If this uses SMS and burns a message for every line you enter, I can't imagine anyone on Cingular using these programs.
  9.    #9  
    I have my chatter already configured, as I figured that it may be a hassle but 20 mins of time is worth the 20 dollas it could save. I do have a question about Chatter though. If I put up an away message, when I look at the that sn on the pc (a different one than the treo) it shows the away icon, and when i rightclick -> get buddy info it shows the away message. However, when I send a message I don't receive an auto response. Does anyone know how to do it? Also what is XA? I assume like extended away or extended absence. Thanks in advance.
    I kind of answered my own question through testing AIM 1.0 (UK) on my phone.

If I'm connected via "Cingular", then I am using airtime in order to chat. I also cannot receive a phone call as I'm using the line for data.

If I'm connected via "Cingular Express", then I am using GPRS data. I can receive a call and I can be "online" at all times. Data usage is kind of quick though.

I think I typed 5 lines to a buddy and signed off and I used up 24KB.

Cingular better come up with better data plans soon!!
    Greetings:

Without any additional software, other than Chatter, I use Chatter to IM via MSN IM, AIM, Yahoo IM.

Chatter works wonders.

Thank you.
    =====================
    Peter M. Abraham
    Dynamic Net, Inc.
    http://www.dynamicnet.net/
    I used the web version of Aim until I found Verichat. The web based aim would cut off my messages after I typed them. Haven't had any problems with it. Whatever the problem is it's not the Treo.
    I also only have 3 people in my buddy list.
    i want to download chatter. where do i get it?
    www.imchatter.com

Part of the installation process is getting a user name and password from Marc. I have used the program for a few months and love it. It is used extensively during the day for chat and "push IMAP email." For the price, it cannot be beat. For the level of service provided, it cannot be beat.

Ben

-------------

Originally posted by algierz
    i want to download chatter. where do i get it?
    The username has to be obtained from someone?

That would explain why I couldn't get the program to work and gave up trying....

Yepper, after installing it, drop an email on Marc Blank at chatsw@mailcan.com and ask for a user name/password. He'll set you up and give you a 30-day trial period.

You will have to read the references materials. It's the only program that I actually read all of the help files.

Ben

Originally posted by MVT
    The username has to be obtained from someone?

That would explain why I couldn't get the program to work and gave up trying....

I still see a big void when it comes to a useful IM client, at least for me. Chatter is a clever app/concept, but what good is it if you don't know who else is online or if you have to manually enter in screennames (especially if you have more than a hundred). It drives me crazy, so i just uninstalled it.

Verichat at least provides a buddy list, but it has an unreal subscription cost. This is absurd.

Maybe somebody could make a patch to enable the existing, though boring and outdated, aol IM client - perhaps the UK version, to run successfully on the T600.
    They could even charge a dollar or two for it.

My thoughts,

Aaron
    Actually verichat's subscription cost isn't that bad, when you take into the fact you get SMS messages when IM's coming. Say you are checking your contacts or just doing something else on the treo, IM's comes as SMS. Very convenient.

Verichat needs the money to pay for the servers that provide this feature.
    http://www.firstadopter.com - where early adopters discuss great stuff first
    If i recall correctly, Verichat is $50/year. Contrasting this cost with the $0/year fee i used to pay for AIM on my previous handheld devices, Verichat is expensive.

I am not much of a sms user as it has always carried a fee from service providers. This is my perspective.
    Originally posted by apjent
    If i recall correctly, Verichat is $50/year. Contrasting this cost with the $0/year fee i used to pay for AIM on my previous handheld devices, Verichat is expensive.

I am not much of a sms user as it has always carried a fee from service providers. This is my perspective.
    I just registered Verichat day before yesterday for my 600. Price was $24.95 for software and first year. $19.95 for subsequent years. Have used it for at least a year on my 270. Love it. (Cannot account for the problem reported by the original poster in this thread but it is not consistent with my experience. )
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast