Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I tried Chatter first and haven't left. I will have to try Verichat at some point though, can't talk one-sided forever.

But I didn't get chatter just for AIM. And the reason I bring that up is because not all the IM services store your buddy list on their server. Particularly ICQ, which is what I use most. Besides, I may not even WANT all my contacts to get me when I'm on the Treo... But I have my Chatter set up with my AIM, ICQ, MSN and Yahoo ids.

Like other's have mentioned, you need a Chatter account - that's the NEW account, not a big deal. And the IMAP support is growing in leaps and bounds. I don't know if Marc (Chatter's author) works on anything else given the rate at which he releases new features and fixes.

Chatter worked for me first try and continues to work for me (as IM AND Imap client) and improve so I really don't have any impetus to try anything else!
    I'm not sure about everyone else, but AIM made my Treo600 MAD!! It freezes up and makes me hard reset it. Obviously, I've since removed AIM away went the problems.
    Truth is good, knowledge is power and it's the second mouse who gets the cheese
    Originally posted by ivyrose
    I'm not sure about everyone else, but AIM made my Treo600 MAD!! It freezes up and makes me hard reset it. Obviously, I've since removed AIM away went the problems.
    Me too..no matter what I do, I can't get any version of aol IM to work on my t600. Used to work great on my t300. Sucks because all I need is AOL IM.
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
    Originally posted by chuhsi

Me too..no matter what I do, I can't get any version of aol IM to work on my t600. Used to work great on my t300. Sucks because all I need is AOL IM.
    It did not work on my 270. That is how I found Verichat. Verichat is what I recommend.
    i have a question about the pcs vision aim..it usually runs in the background or whatver as i'm on the web.

when i receive an im and the whole link "go to" thing comes up does that take the place of the website i was looking at? after i'm done replying to the im is thre a way to sort of "alt-tab" back to the website i was previously browsing?
    Have you tried Chatter yet? I have used it for several months and use it exclusively. i haven't used Verichat in two months. If not, you may obtain it from:
    www.imchatter.com - as noted in this thread, it requires a user name and password from the author.

As for AOL, I used the UK version on my 300 for a while and was not overly impressed. It is at that time I purchased Verichat. Along came the 600 and hi to Chatter and shortly after that, see ya to Verichat.

Ben

Originally posted by ivyrose
    I was using that AIM (UK vers.) until today without any glitches. I downloaded another program and all of a sudden it started crashing terminally. I had to do a hard reset and when I reinstalled everything, it continued to crash terminally. The only way I could get it to stop was reinstalling my Treo software and re-syncing....somehow it corrupted my Treo sync files.

Now AIM is dead for me...

Anyone have an evaluation version of AIM1.1 that I can test?
    Hi....I just got my Treo 600 today, and one of my priorities is getting AIM set up on it.

First I purchased this software from Handango, which basically is AOL proper, including IM. But I quickly discovered that two of my main goals were not met with it. Those are

1) a mobile phone icon by my name on my Buddy's lists, so they know I'm coming at them through the phone. It doesn't do that, and they have no way of knowing.

2) I want to be able to be notified of incoming IM's at any time, even if I'm not logged on. Where my phone will notify me that I've been IM'd. Is that even possible?

I'm fine with having purchased that program, because I do use AOL regularly. But I guess when I purchased this phone, I imagined that it would be like my friend's Blackberry, which provides both of those features. Was I wrong?

Anyway, after reading several message boards, I decided to try the trial version of VeriChat. It worked fine as well, but offered neither of those things. Is there ANYTHING that will do those 2 things, or is it just not possible on the Treo 600?

Any and all responses are appreciated!! Thanks.
    Chatter definitely accomplishes #2 but I'm not sure about #1. I suppose you could set your status as "Mobile" but I'm not sure the other party sees that on their computer.
    I discussed the mobile icon briefly with Marc, it boils down to this:

There are two protocols for accessing AIM, OSCAR and TOC. OSCAR is the one "AOL sanctioned" clients use and have the wide variety of features, including the flag to change your buddy list icon (i.e. the little phone). AOL keeps this protocol closely held and doesnt allow others to use it.

TOC is less feature filled and doesnt have the ability to change the buddy list icon, but is/was open-source in that anyone can use it.

Chatter and Verichat both use Jabber (a multi-IM service, this is how you can connect to AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ simulataneously). Jabber uses TOC to talk to AIM, primarily because it is more stable. If AOL detects an unauthorized client on OSCAR, they tend to change the protocol, such as the MSN and Trillian debacles last year.

My problem is by the time an IM goes from Chatter Client thru the Chatter Server to the AIM server to the AIM client, there is a slight delay, for normal IM this is unnoticeable, but since I am deaf, I have a screenname to IM that hooks to an Operator for a phone call, and the delay is noticeable to them. But aside from that, Chatter is the best for me
    Pete
    Thanks.

I guess what I'm really trying to find out is what is the BEST and most funcional application for using AIM on a Treo 600. I must say that when I purchased it, I imagined powering it up and signing right on to AIM. I was quite disappointed to conclude that it would require all of this trouble.

What are everyone's recommendations for an AIM program that

a) causes the mobile icon to appear on my friends' Buddy Lists
    b) allows me to be alerted to an incoming IM even if I'm not signed on

I went to AOL keyword "my mobile," and came away from the conclusion that if you don't purchase a phone that comes equipped already with AIM, there's really no place for you in this world.

I'm very anxious to hear everyone's opinions. One of the most important things to me in this phone is that I be always IM-able.

Thanks.
    The web version of AIM (launch Blazer, on the PCS Homepage select Messaging) offers both of those features but I find the interface sort of cumbersome.

AOL is supposed to be working on getting their official AIM Client Treo 600 compatible, but I wouldnt hold my breath
    Pete
    Originally posted by PeteEMT
    The web version of AIM (launch Blazer, on the PCS Homepage select Messaging)
    Can you post the url?
    wim2.aol.com/?service=sprint3g

AOL recently restricted by IP use of this, so if you dont have Sprint it prolly wont work
    Pete
    Originally posted by PeteEMT
    The web version of AIM (launch Blazer, on the PCS Homepage select Messaging) offers both of those features but I find the interface sort of cumbersome.

AOL is supposed to be working on getting their official AIM Client Treo 600 compatible, but I wouldnt hold my breath
    I don't know HOW I missed that yesterday. Guess I'm overwhelmed by all these features. What's more, I called Sprint tech support, they couldn't even tell me something that simple. They "didn't know" the best way to access AIM. Sad, really.

You're right though, it is a bit cumbersome. I wish I could just receive and send AIM text messages easily and simply. Using this program, you have to actually tap a link to the message, then you have to say, "yes, I do want to accept IM's from this person," then you get the message. It's a lot of steps.

Oh well......
    OSCAR and TOC documentation exists. With the advent of Java support from PalmOne, I suspect that a *free* java client will be coming our way very soon. It may already exist. Perhaps I will try to convert an existing java client and see if it can be done.
    If you understand, things are just as they are. If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12