Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A couple of forum members (maybe more) have posted messages in the past that pertain to issues with the current version of Mapopolis' Navigator software (ver 1.22) for PalmOS5 handhelds.

To reiterate briefly, the navigator software freezes up ever so often, requiring a soft reset. (Who wants to be doing that while driving?!)

Unfortunately, I downloaded the s/w and bought a years supply of maps before becoming aware of the problem. I own a GSM T6 and utilize an iTrek GPS mouse receiver (NMEA compliant, SiRF IIe/LP chipset) for signal reception.

I e-mailed Mapopolis support on new years day, and 'expressed' my unhappiness at their product. The support tech replied very early today with a download link to an updated beta version of the mapopolis.prc file. The tech's explanation for the problem was that the voice prompt functionality in the current version is a HACk that causes problems when a REAL GPS receiver is used in conjunction with the s/w. (Whatever)

I installed the beta update (ver 1.27) today, and for the FIRST time since acquiring the s/w and using it on my 45 mile trip to work in DC today, it did not lock up AT ALL !

(Woohooo!!)

Find the download link below for the beta update:

http://www.mapopolis.com/palmnavbeta.zip

While I'm cautiously optimistic that the update has solved the problem, I will be sure to update this message should anymore issues crop up.

Cheers,

aolumide

P.S. Happy New Year, all!
    Last edited by aolumide; 01/10/2004 at 10:25 AM.
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    First, thanks for all your posts on the subject of GPS. They have been extremly helpful to me. And it isn't easy for me to say thanks to anyone sporting such an ugly icon (yes, I'm from Cleveland)

I just received my iTrek GPS but haven't had a chance to try it. I'm using a Treo 600. I plan on using Mapopolis w/ GPS. I've used it before and loved it, just not the GPS version. The instructions that came with the GPS only refer to Pocked PC and PC instillations, nothing for Palm OS devices. There isn't anything on the CD either.

Will the i.Trek work automatically with Mapopolis on the T6 or am I missing something?

Wanted to ask before I seriously screwed something up. Thanks
  3.    #3  
    First off, you're welcome. Second, being from Cleveland, your thanks are REALLY appreciated, and third, the Ravens got knocked out of the playoffs in round 1, so there's that for you to celebrate at the very least.

To answer your questions, I got the same PC/Pocket PC documentation you mentioned when my iTrek GPS arrived in the mail. The PalmOS5 documentation you want is actually on the mapopolis web site in PDF format.

Click on this link to download it. It contains everything you want to know about how to use the Navigator 1.2x software.

Yes, the iTrek will work seamlessly with the Mapopolis software. No need to install any drivers or anything else on your Treo, other than the mapopolis software itself.

However, for a software freeze-free experience, ensure that you download and install the beta update (Navigator 1.27) I mentioned in my last post, as version 1.22 is buggy, and will take away your joy!

I've been enjoying using my iTrek/Mapopolis/Treo GPS set-up since the 1.27 version. Let me know how you get on with yours.

Regards,

aolumide
    Last edited by aolumide; 01/20/2004 at 03:00 PM.
    I was wondering if you could update us on if you've had continued stability with your i.trek with the new beta. It seems from reading the boards here that quite a few people have experienced the problem, but now are able to get 45 minutes of use or so without crashing. While it's far from great, that might be the best available option, and I would expect that this only gets better as they come out with new software. Price is pretty right too.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    I was wondering if you could update us on if you've had continued stability with your i.trek with the new beta. It seems from reading the boards here that quite a few people have experienced the problem, but now are able to get 45 minutes of use or so without crashing. While it's far from great, that might be the best available option, and I would expect that this only gets better as they come out with new software. Price is pretty right too.
    bmacfarland,

I'm glad to report that I've been a 100% stable since installing the 1.27 version of the Mapopolis s/w. The iTrek seems to be a pretty reliable GPS mouse receiver.

To give you a practical example, just this morning, I drove up to Lorton, VA from Columbia, MD to visit an aunt who had just relocated from Atlanta. It was a good 1.5 hour drive, and Mapoplis and the iTrek got me here accurately and freeze-free.
    (I'm in my Aunts house right now )

I bought the iTrek over the Holux GM-210 for a couple of reasons:

1) After reading about problems with it when used with the Treo 600 on this forum.

2) The test results of a review for GPS mouse receivers available at this link

As you'll notice in the review, the iTrek's SiRF IIe/LP chipset got good scores as far as sensitivity, accuracy, "dead reckoning", and signal reacquisition.

As a side-note, it's interesting that www.positioningsolutions.com ,a company that apparently partners to sell GPS solution bundles off Mapopolis' website, www.mapopolis.com ,are marketing what looks to be the Holux GM-210 (though I'm not a 100% certain) with the Treo 600.

What's more telling though, is that if you click on the 'GPS Solutions' link on the mapopolis site, and pick the navigator s/w version with treo 600 solution, you'll get a "The product you requested is currently not available" message. This same solution is still available if you start your search from the actual positioningsolutions home page, instead of the mapopolis home page.

In other words, mapopolis has taken down the option to buy the Holux/Navigotor s/w bundle (seemingly acknowledging the Holux problem?)but positioningsolutions is still selling it on their own dedicated portal.

Anyway, enough about that. In conclusion, I'm happy with my ITrek, and I highly recommend it for use with the T6 to interested parties without reservation!

Rgds,

aolumide
    Thanks this is more information than I'd ever thought I'd get without buying it myself. I now have to make one of those personal gut calls. I know I'm terrible with directions and can get lost inside my own small apartment, so GPS with the voice navigation has always been of interest to me. Thing is that I moved pretty much into the city and don't drive near what I have in the past, maybe to the store once a week or Boston to NY trip to visit friends (done enough times now I don't get lost anymore). So now that the perfect solution is here, I rarely have the problem that needs solving.

One final bit of information might help sway me to purchase this. Is it possible to detach the cords and swap in a new connector? I'm thinking that after the Treo 600 lifecycle is up, would it seem easy for me just by a different plug and reuse the same the mouse with my next PDA phone (provided they make a plug for it)? If this is something that I might be able to get a few years of use (and not lock me into the Treo 600) I could mentally amoritize it much easier.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    One final bit of information might help sway me to purchase this. Is it possible to detach the cords and swap in a new connector? I'm thinking that after the Treo 600 lifecycle is up, would it seem easy for me just by a different plug and reuse the same the mouse with my next PDA phone (provided they make a plug for it)? If this is something that I might be able to get a few years of use (and not lock me into the Treo 600) I could mentally amoritize it much easier.
    Semsons (where I bought my iTrek) will continue to make new cables for future PDA/smartphones to be used with the i.Trek mouse GPS. See the e-mail from Semsons support below:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Ade,

Yes, we will continue to make new PDA / smartphone cables for i.Trek mouse GPS. Currently, we have 9 cables available for i.Trek mouse GPS.

Regards,

Support Team,
    www.semsons.com
    Where can you buy the iTrek?
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by caseyatbt
    Where can you buy the iTrek?
    http://www.semsons.com
    aolumide, this post certainly answered all of my questions too and firmed up my desire to get back into the GPS game. My delorme tripmate and Palm IIIc were a neat combo but I never fealt like the "dream was realized" until I saw what was possible with my T6. So, enough of your praises and on to my question.

I've read in other posts about a phone call killing your route and forcing you to reenter your destination and essentially start over in Mapopolis. Does this new beta address this issue or have you been lucky enough to not get phone calls during your 45 minute drive(s)?
    <strong>Patrick</strong><br>Palm Pilot Professional -> Palm IIIc -> Samsung i300 (Sprint) -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Cingular) -> Treo 750 (Cingular)
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by turnepf
    've read in other posts about a phone call killing your route and forcing you to reenter your destination and essentially start over in Mapopolis. Does this new beta address this issue or have you been lucky enough to not get phone calls during your 45 minute drive(s)?
    turnepf,

I've actually sent Mapopolis an e-mail about this "incoming/outgoing call cancels navigation route" issue, but have not gotten a reply yet. Hopefully, they will do something about it eventually.

Currently, the beta version I have (ver 1.27) does not fix this issue. It's a REAL pain to have to re-generate your route in transit. My remedy (well, not quite a remedy ) is to shut down wireless mode while I'm GPSing, and check my messages at the end of my trip. This of course, is not a good idea in situations where you need to be in constant contact on the phone for business purposes, and a missed call from a business client is more or less analogous to a missed business opportunity.

Nevertheless, this is what I currently do to circumvent the problem.

rgds,

aolumide
    Last edited by aolumide; 01/21/2004 at 02:41 PM.
    aolumide,

I got the Mapopolis bundle today and have worked with it all day. The 1.22 version locked up any time I used the GPS (within 30 seconds or so), freezing the TREO and requiring a hardware soft reset. It would working in the GPS mode until it locked up. When I tried to navigate a route, it locked up immidiately. I will try the 1.27 beta tomorrow.

However, more concerning to me is the difficulty in entering in a valid navigation route that spans multiple maps. The interface is really clunky and most times it can't find any addresses.

For example, let's say I want to go from my home across the state. I load into RAM my home county, the major roads MAP for the state, and the county for the destination.

It can't find any addresses. I think I'm missing something...or this software is really, really bad.

The interface is clunky at best (or I'm an *****). Please enlighten me.

Glenn

P.S. I have Trip Pilot and have never tried it with a GPS (I will!), but at least it can find addresses and compute a route!!
    aolumide,

I got the Mapopolis bundle today and have worked with it all day. The 1.22 version locked up any time I used the GPS (within 30 seconds or so), freezing the TREO and requiring a hardware soft reset. It would working in the GPS mode until it locked up. When I tried to navigate a route, it locked up immidiately. I will try the 1.27 beta tomorrow.

However, more concerning to me is the difficulty in entering in a valid navigation route that spans multiple maps. The interface is really clunky and most times it can't find any addresses.

For example, let's say I want to go from my home across the state. I load into RAM my home county, the major roads MAP for the state, and the county for the destination.

It can't find any addresses. I think I'm missing something...or this software is really, really bad.

The interface is clunky at best (or I'm an *****). Please enlighten me.

Glenn

P.S. I have Trip Pilot and have never tried it with a GPS (I will!), but at least it can find addresses and compute a route!!
  14.    #14  
    Glenn_Butler,

For the freezing issue, install version 1.27 ASAP.

The only thing that comes to mind concerning your inability to find addresses is to check whether you're loading the maps contiguously . On the map page, there's a checkbox that you can select to load the maps into RAM contiguously. Try that and see if this helps.

regards,

aolumide
    Last edited by aolumide; 01/23/2004 at 10:34 AM.
    Originally posted by aolumide
    Glenn_Butler,

For the freezing issue, install version 1.27 ASAP.

The only thing that comes to mind concerning your inability to find addresses is to check whether you're loading the maps contiguously . On the map page, there's a checkbox that you can select to load the maps into RAM contiguously. Try that and see if this helps.

regards,

aolumide
    aolumide,

OK, that check box helps a lot -- it seems to be able to route through different maps now. Soon I will go out for a test drive :-)

Is it just me or is the entire interface kind of odd?

Glenn
    I've used Mapopolis for years and never quite gotten used to the interface. I've shelled out the bucks for Navigator and a GPS now and glad for the beta version but would still love a more intuitive interface and the ability to take calls.
    <strong>Patrick</strong><br>Palm Pilot Professional -> Palm IIIc -> Samsung i300 (Sprint) -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Cingular) -> Treo 750 (Cingular)
  17.    #17  
    Glenn_Butler & turnepf,

I definitely feel the same as both of you about the mapopolis navigator interface. You'd think that the application would carry the burden of searching for any geographic/topographic relationships that potentially exist between any maps loaded in ram, and automatically arrange them contiguously, as their documentation mentions.

The truth is, this is actually my first time delving into GPS technology, and so, I have no previous experiences to compare to the mapopolis s/w.

Have either of you used any PDA/PalmOS GPS s/w before? If so, what's the comparison to mapopolis like?

rgds,

aolumide
    Folks,

I used this today in the car and the 1.27 beta version definitely totally solves the lockup issues. Now that I understand how to put in addresses (after finding the right map first), I would say this product is pretty remarkable for the bucks. the voice prompts and everything work well (and are loud on the TREO).

At the same time, the interface does take some getting used to!

BTW, my other experiences are with Hertz Never Lost (now on it's third revision). It has a CD in the trunk (so has access to all the maps). I would say that Hertz Never Lost works really, really, well. I'll post more after I spend more time with Mapopolis.

Thanks for the help!

Glenn
  19.    #19  
    Go to http://kudzumonthly.com/mapopolis/ for new mapopolis voices. A fellow TC forum member clued me into this URL.

By voices, I'm referring to the 'voice' used to issue navigational prompts. I strongly disliked the default voice in Mapopolis' Navigator 1.2x, so I changed mine to the 'Simone04' voice.

Nice!

The URL above displays a directory listing. The files of interest are the zip files with the 'MV' prefix. Download the zip and install the MapopolisWords.pdb file for whichever voice you want to try. I actually deleted the default MapopolisWords.pdb file from my T6 before installing the new one.

Unfortunately, there's no way to sample the voice before installing and testing it. I tried all of them, and the 'Simone04' voice was my favorite. A friend who took a ride in my car to check out my GPS setup said that the 'Simone04' voice almost sounded like the voice used in Hertz' NeverLost GPS system. And oh yeah, it's pretty loud, too!

Enjoy!
    I was forced to use the Delorme software with my old GPS because Mapopolis wasn't compatible with it (it wasn't standards based). I didn't like it at all because you had to pretty much plan what you were doing on your PC before doing anything trip wise. It just wasn't practical.

I've also used the Hertz system and it seems to work identically to the Mapopolis setup I've bought as a result of this posting. The only thing I might do looking forward is invest in another SD card to dedicate to this purpose so I'll always have all of my maps. I have a 256 MB card but I don't like sacrificing MP3s for maps!

I've also been in my friend's BMW 7 series with DVD nav and it was a much clunkier interface than Mapopolis so I suppose my complaining about the Mapopolis interface is a bit silly!

Bottom line: I'm very pleased with my investment!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast