Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lest I forget that the Beemer and Hertz cars can't read my Palm Address Book for Destination Locations!

<strong>Patrick</strong><br>Palm Pilot Professional -> Palm IIIc -> Samsung i300 (Sprint) -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Cingular) -> Treo 750 (Cingular)
    Folks,

I am on my first sales trip with Mapopolis and GPS and ordered a car without Hertz Never lost. Actually, we got NL in the car we rented, so I was able to compare the Treo 600 / Mapopolis vs. Hertz NL 3 side by side.

In downtown Chicago, the maps were so dense that the TREO was behind in mapping. But it did voice prompt and note every turn perfectly.

In routing, the TREO seems to prefer back roads, when NL makes better use of highways.

We hit a rotary twice, and NL dropped the ball getting confused and asking us to exit on the wrong turn. Mapopolis/TREO routed everything perfectly.

The maps are not as clear on the TREO, but it totally works great if you follow the voice prompts and check the road that it tells you to turn on.

I will never opt for NL again, and will rely on the TREO. I set the preferences to prefer highways and will test again tomorrow vs. Hertz NL.

Given that the cheapest standalone GPS unit with voice prompts and re-routing is $700+, Mapopolis and a GPS for $200 is A REMARKABLE DEAL. Highly recommended as a killer app for the TREO. Just be patient while you get used to the somewhat strange Mapopolis interface. And post any frustrations -- any problems you have are likely due to that klunky interface.

BTW, Mapopolis 2.27 is 100% stable. No lockups or problems since using this beta version. Datebk5 alarms come up, and when you clear them, you are back to Mapopolis. When a phone call comes in, you are left in the phone app and need to restart Mapopolis. This sucks because you need to reselect the endpoint (it comes up in a list of previous endpoints, so it's not that bad).

Glenn
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I've been using mapopolis navigator with my Treo 600 and Holux GPS mouse for about a month now and it's great.
    It picks great routes, the turn by turn directions are fantastic, and the maps are more up to date than most other maps on the internet.

I even got an old Palm m505 on ebay so that i can navigate while the treo is on a call, but with os 4.1, I can't run navigator, and the previous version of mapopolis pales in comparison.
    --jaslo
  4.    #24  
    Originally posted by Glenn_Butler
    We hit a rotary twice, and NL dropped the ball getting confused and asking us to exit on the wrong turn. Mapopolis/TREO routed everything perfectly.
    Glenn,

Glad to see you're fully up and running with Mapopolis Navigator 1.27. According to their FAQ section on their web site, Mapopolis updates their maps about twice a year.

I'm curious to know what brand/model of GPS mouse receiver you're currently using with your Treo. Based on your comments about how the 2 rotarys were handled, it would seem that your Treo GPS receiver is more sensitive and accurate than the Hertz NeverLost GPS system.

aolumide
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Neverlost was built before President Clinton turned off SA (selective availability) so it included inertial navigation components, in addition to the GPS.

Now, with SA turned off, I usually get GPS accuracy within 10m with 4 satellites acquired, better still with more satellites.

--jasonl
    --jaslo
    Hey guys, I'm trying out Mapopolis and I have one major concern...the maps they offer for download are HUGE (the ones with GPS support, the Navigator version), and I plan on taking a trip to NJ from MA this upcoming thursday. I have a 256 SD card, and assuming I subscribe and buy the maps and a GPS, how on earth can I load all of the maps that I need? Mapopolis seems to want to load all of the maps into RAM when you try to plan a route....this seems incredibly inefficient, and as such, with 24 megs available, the Treo is useless in this regard. Any hints? Any ideas?

Thanks!!!
  7.    #27  
    Originally posted by Sherv
    Hey guys, I'm trying out Mapopolis and I have one major concern...the maps they offer for download are HUGE (the ones with GPS support, the Navigator version), and I plan on taking a trip to NJ from MA this upcoming thursday. I have a 256 SD card, and assuming I subscribe and buy the maps and a GPS, how on earth can I load all of the maps that I need? Mapopolis seems to want to load all of the maps into RAM when you try to plan a route....this seems incredibly inefficient, and as such, with 24 megs available, the Treo is useless in this regard. Any hints? Any ideas?

Thanks!!!
    Sherv,

Yes, the process is not as streamlined as one would like, but it is what it is, I guess.

The truth is that you need to do some ground work to identify the maps you need.

Based on your post, you would need to load the state county maps and state major road maps for your start and end points, as well as state major road maps for all in the states you will drive through between NJ and MA and then load all these maps contiguously. (NJ -> NY -> CT-> MA).

So, that makes:

1 NJ county-specific map,
    1 NJ state major road map,
    1 NY state major road map,
    1 CT state major road map,
    1 MA state major road map, and
    1 MA county-specific map. 6 maps in all.

As a subscriber, you have full access to all maps. The mapopolis site offers links to diagrams of states broken down into counties.

The 24 MB bottleneck is a pain. The maps range in size anywhere from 800KB to 9MB each! It just depends on where you're going.

I have a 512 SD card, and I load all the possible maps I think I will need onto it, and load only the one(s) I have to into active RAM.

Hope that helps. Good luck!!
    Last edited by aolumide; 02/06/2004 at 07:20 PM.
    Hey Aolumide, thanks for the reply and for all the GREAT info you've provided thus far on the subject of GPSs.

So, you address the issue of minimal onboard RAM...for the sake of argument, assume the 6 maps take up more than the 10 megs I have free right now. As it is, can Mapopolis swap in and out only the maps it needs to map the current route? That is, starting with Suffolk County in MA, and then going into NY or CT or wherever is next (hah, I'm such a newbie), can Mapopolis keep only two adjacent maps loaded at one point? That would definitely take a huge load off of the RAM and thus keep memory usage to a minimum.

As for the highway maps and such, the ones offered as demos are only the Navigator maps, which can only be downloaded (well, the demo ones, that is) in counties.

Apart from Mapopolis, what other good mapping software would you recommend for this sort of trip?

Thanks again for your help, I e-mail the developers with my concerns, so we'll see what the masters say

-Sherv
  9.    #29  
    Sherv,

As far as I can tell from my personal experience with the s/w, in order to get from any given point A to point B, Mapopolis requires that all relevant maps be loaded manually and contiguously in RAM. It cannot automatically swap maps in and out of RAM on its own. That would be a great feature, though!

So, if onboard ram is scarce, I guess it's feasible that you could break your trip down into smaller parts, and only load the maps for each 'micro' part of the 'major' journey, so to speak.. Then, when the end point of one smaller route is reached, you could then unload the old maps and load the new maps from your SD card to ram for the next part of your journey. However, I have not tried this yet. Please let me know if it works.

As far as s/w recommendations, I'm sorry, but I don't have any. Mapopolis is the first PDA GPS mapping s/w i've ever interacted with. Hopefully, other forum members can make suggestions. Do a forum search on GPS for more info on other GPS mapping options.

rgds,

-aolumide-
    Last edited by aolumide; 02/07/2004 at 09:07 AM.
  10. coz
    Hey aolumide,

I'm currently using the Itrek + T600 + Mapopolis setup. So far, I've only purchased the maps for Dallas (where I live). I would like to purchase the TX and LA Major Roads Map, but cannot find them anywhere on the mapopolis website (other than the ones offered on CD). Have you been able to d/l them? Please help!

Thanks!
  11.    #31  
    Originally posted by coz
    Hey aolumide,

I'm currently using the Itrek + T600 + Mapopolis setup. So far, I've only purchased the maps for Dallas (where I live). I would like to purchase the TX and LA Major Roads Map, but cannot find them anywhere on the mapopolis website (other than the ones offered on CD). Have you been able to d/l them? Please help!

Thanks!
    coz ,

I bought the North American map pack on the Mapopolis site ($99), and when I select a state to d/l maps for, I have a number of d/l link options:

1) "Download State Major Road map"

2) "Download All County Maps in State"

and

3) Separate links to d/l individual county maps in the given state.

I don't think the link for the state major road map displays unless you buy the map pack. Just a guess, though. You might want to e-mail mapopolis support and confirm.

UPDATE: See text below from their web site on the benefits of buying a map pack:

============================================

"The purchase of an online Map Pack or Guide Pack entitles you to download an unlimited number of maps or guides from the purchased version of data for free for a period of one year from the date of purchase. Discount pricing is available for later purchases.

Immediately after completing your purchase you will be able to download maps or guides for free. Enhanced maps cover the whole U.S. Navigator and Platinum North American map packs cover the continental U.S. and many major Canadian cities. Navigator and Platinum Western European map packs cover the twenty-four countries of Western Europe. Guides are available for most but not all U.S. counties.

Map Pack Benefits

Download an unlimited number of maps from the purchased version of data for free for a period of one year from the date of purchase.

Download maps quickly and conveniently with our state zip files. Each state zip file contains all county maps in that state.

Access our state Major Roads maps (North American Navigator, and Platinum Map Packs only.) Each state Major Roads map contains all major roads in the state along with landmarks showing the center-point location of cities, towns and counties. Major Roads maps work seamlessly with county maps. "

============================================

Guess that confirms that you need to buy a map pack to d/l a state road map.

aolumide
    Last edited by aolumide; 02/07/2004 at 09:26 AM.
    Hey this thread is great.

I'm strongly considering gettting a GPS solution to work with my Treo 600.

I travel now considerably for business to cities I've never been before.

I have a few questions...

So the solution discussed and for sale on semsons.com (iTrek GPS with Mapoplis navigator s/w) does provide for voice prompting directions, correct?

How bulky is the unit and is it practical for flying to different cities and using with rental cars?

Does the 2 in 1 palm cable allow you to charge the Treo via car charger and connect to the iTrek GPS unit?

Would you think if more worthwhile to wait for the SD-GPS card from iGolf Tech or get this semsons iTrek solution?

Would you think the iGolf SD-GPS card will have a lower sensitivity than the antennea of the iTrek?

Thanks for your advice.
    Palm Professional -> Palm III-> Sprint Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Sprint Handspring Treo 300 -> Sprint Handspring Treo 600 -> Sprint Treo 650 -> Sprint Treo 700p
    I found it very practical to travel with and use in a rental car. The GPS itself isn't much larger than a Zippo lighter and the fact that it charges your Treo 600 too means just one cord to carry. I'd only offer a couple of points of advice on travelling with it. If you can spare the space bring the vent mount. I was trying to impress my boss on a trip a couple of weeks ago, had the cord come uplugged because it was sitting on my lap and over shot my exit by 15 miles (embarrassing!). Also, pay attention and don't rely solely on the voice prompts. I've found it taking me through private neighborhoods (Mapopolis doesn't know about gates), bad neighborhoods and stop and go roads. I've thought of a number of ways that they could improve this but I doubt the data is there to support it (road_type == private; road_style == stop_and_go). Also, if you come to a confusing intersection, it's a good idea to watch the screen a bit to know what's going to happen. A passenger can come in handy for that. Don't use the fact that it'll get you home as your use case. You know how to get home and take for granted the nuances in that trip. I'd recommend trying it out in town for a bit maybe going to parts of town you're not as familiar with before venturing out of state. I feel I'm using it better now that I understand "how" it works now.

As much as I'd like to have the SD GPS for size and cordless nature, I like having my SD memory card in all of the time and I prefer something a bit more durable as the iTrek seems to be. Not to say I won't go that route when the price comes down on the SD solution!
    <strong>Patrick</strong><br>Palm Pilot Professional -> Palm IIIc -> Samsung i300 (Sprint) -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Cingular) -> Treo 750 (Cingular)
    Wheathin,

I bought the "Serial Portable Navigation for Palm Tungsten / Treo 600 (CD ROM Edition) w/ Universal PDA mount for the Treo 600." from buyGPSnow.com

It cost $205.95+shipping, and here is what it comes with.

1) A somewhat cheezey universal mount that works OK for rental cars.

2) A decent serial GPS unit (I think by Halicon??) that is waterproof. It works fine on the dash.

3) An awesome "Y" cable that (1) charges the TREO, (2) powers the GPS, and (3) provides a serial interface between the TREO and the GPS.

4) Mapopolis Navigator CD edition (all USA).

I then bought the ProCLIP setup for my car (another $90, but it's awesome).

I have used the setup at home, and on several trips, and it generally works great. I store all the home maps permanently on the SD card, and then download maps to RAM as needed for trips.

The Mapopolis software is clunky and you need the beta 1.27 software (the other locks up whenever the GPS is turned on).

Having said all that, the software does work once you get used to it, and this is a killer setup for just over $200.

I will take pictures tonight and upload them.

Glenn
  15. coz
    Anyone have any idea as to when the next Mapopolis beta may be made available? I saw some preview screenshots on the gpspassion forums and can't wait to try it out. Hopefully they'll fix that nonsense about having to reprogram your route after answering a call - the Treo is, after all, a phone!

Aolumide, can you post a pic of your GPS setup? I'd like to see how you ran the wires, etc... I have a Ford Explorer and am using a vent mount on the driver's side air vent. Seems to work fine; however, I'd like to conceal the wires a bit more if it can be done somewhat easily (read: without taking apart entire dash).

Wheathin,

I would recommend against the SD GPS unit as you'll probably heavily rely on an SD card for storing maps. Also, the ITrek setup allows you to position the mouse on your dashboard or even on your rooftop - so I'd say you're almost guaranteed better reception with it.
  16.    #36  
    Originally posted by coz
    Aolumide, can you post a pic of your GPS setup? I'd like to see how you ran the wires, etc... I have a Ford Explorer and am using a vent mount on the driver's side air vent. Seems to work fine; however, I'd like to conceal the wires a bit more if it can be done somewhat easily (read: without taking apart entire dash).
    Coz,

Unfortunately, my car is in the shop for repairs, so I won't be able to furnish pics for the rest of the week.

I drive a 99 Honda Accord V6, and have my treo mounted in a treo 600-specific Proclip holder mounted on an accord-specific Proclip bracket. As far as placement goes, my proclip set-up is center-mounted but slightly offset to the left. In other words, it's barely 4 inches from my right hand when I'm in the drivers seat, and it's a little less than 3 feet from my head. The iTrek rests dead center on my dashboard, resting on a 'sticky' or slip-proof mat.

I really was not about to start ripping up my dash to install the cables, so what I did was 'velcro' the cable connected to the iTrek to the dash.

The Y-junction section and the rest of the cable rests in the open compartment directly in front of my cars transmission gear handle, so suffice it to say that I've got a lot of cable crammed in there. The serial port connector thus runs a short distance from the open compartment to the Treo's serial port directly above.

It's not elegant, but it works for me. I do my best to neatly roll-up the cables in the open compartment with some velcro strips, and that keeps them out of the way.

In conclusion, I highly recommend the proclip holder/bracket mount combo.

Hope my rant gives you some ideas.

rgds,

aolumide
    Last edited by aolumide; 02/17/2004 at 12:39 PM.
    Folks,

Here's a link to some pictures off the TREO/Mapopolis bundle installed in a Subaru Outback with the ProClipUSA mount made for the TREO 600/Outback.

http://adobe.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?...21b34a8d0a25bc

Note that the clips holding the GPS wire aren't snapped in, so it is real easy to remove the GPS for business trips!

Glenn
    Originally posted by Laugh_OH
    First, thanks for all your posts on the subject of GPS. They have been extremly helpful to me. And it isn't easy for me to say thanks to anyone sporting such an ugly icon (yes, I'm from Cleveland)
    What's wrong with our avatars?
    Just kidding. Think of how we felt seeing the Colts on TV for almost 20 years before we got our team back, at least you got to keep the team name and waited a lot less. Not trying to flame, I understand all too well how you felt to lose the team... glad we are rivals now... actually our division is UGLY rival central (north). We should gang up to all focus our efforts on steelers fans :P

BTW, mine blinks
  19.    #39  
    Originally posted by patwoods We should gang up to all focus our efforts on steelers fans :P
    Hear, Hear!! (Just kidding)
    BTW, mine blinks
    I noticed. Where did you get yours from?
    Originally posted by aolumide
    Hear, Hear!! (Just kidding)I noticed. Where did you get yours from?
    Made it at least two years ago when I had my visor deluxe and posted a lot more often on this site...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast