1.    #1  
    The "envelope" voice mail icon appeared at the top of my main screen and won't go away, even though there are no new voice mails to retrieve. This triggers lots of unneccessary checking of empty voice mail box. Any suggestions? The instruction book is silent on this issue. Thanks

Or on a Sprint T600 phone goto the phone app and click menu.

One of the prefrence screens contains a button to clear voicemail icon.
  3.    #3  
    thanks,
    you're a genius.

do I have to do this after each vm is picked up?
    Do you have a Sprint Treo600? Check you voicemail notifications settings...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5.    #5  
    yes, Treo 600 Sprint.

where are these settings?
    I had a similar problem and I was told by Sprint to be sure to exit voicemail by pressing "***" rather than just hanging up. Supposedly this is a clean exit from the VM system and will clear the notification icon. This was several months ago, and I haven't had any problems with it since.
    Its so nice to come here with a question and find an answer...Thanks everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by BillK400
    Its so nice to come here with a question and find an answer...Thanks everyone!
    That's what it's all about. You see these answers in this thread can't be found in any manual. Good jobs on getting the guy fixed and come up with those undocumented answers!
    heck, even I didn't know about the ***!
    thanks, joedude!
    I just wanted to add this in case it helps anyone. With Sprint, I've found that part of the trick is to (after listening to the vm) wait a few moments before hanging up.
    i got excatly the same problem but im with Orange UK and cant find the button to clear vm please help
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    I had the same problem on my replacement Treo 600 and by got rid of the icon by pressing the * key - what a pain until I stumbled across that. I pressed it only one time to get ride of it. Ben
    With Orange UK you press 2 or 3 to save or delete the message then stay on the line until the nice lady goes back to the main menu. Look at the screen, only hang up when the icon has cleared.
    Animo et Fide
    the thing is i have deleted all of my voice mail already i have none yet the icon still stays i think i am going to ring orange up
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR