1.    #1  
    Hey everybody,

Just wanted to relate the experience I've had using the Treo 600 MP3 player along with some great noise-canceling headphones. The Etymotic ER-4P headphones are the best I've heard! Very crisp highs along with strong bass. I also have a pair of Sony MDR-NC20's, but they don't compare and, along with most other noise-canceling phones, batteries are required. My job requires that I occasionally fly on a C-130 research aircraft (where describing it as a noisy environment would be an understatement) and I also do a fair amount of commercial travel and these things are indispensible for listening to music in a noisy environment like this. They offer ~20-25dB noise reduction and even though they aren't cheap ($249), they are worth every penny IMHO!

Here are some links about them if anyone is interested:

http://www.beststuff.com/articles/1358/

and reviews:

http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_117825_2750crx.aspx

and Etymotic Research itself:

http://www.etymotic.com/

Regards,
    Mike (aka work2fish)
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Read the reviews on these headphones and they all mentioned that since they enter the ear canal so deeply and create a perfect seal, that movement or rubbing against the body or pulling creates such horrible noises.

Also eating chips or anything like that is the equivalent of having your tubes full with a cold.

Frankly I was dissapointed that they do not provide a seal that blocks out most of the noise but that has a natural non pumping seal.

Some headphones now offer foam (porous) instead of the hermetically sealed leather or rubber.

Now for the Treo 600 forget it. Most of us are running and moving.
    Originally posted by mgauss

Some headphones now offer foam (porous) instead of the hermetically sealed leather or rubber.

Now for the Treo 600 forget it. Most of us are running and moving.
    The ER-4Ps come with foam tips as well. These earphones are obviously not for running/exercising as I doubt you would be fully able to enjoy the sound quality they produce while doing an activity like running. Besides, I wouldn't want to be exercising with a pair of $250 earphones anyways, afraid they would get damaged, use $10 earphones for that purpose. The ER-4Ps are for critical listening/pure musical enjoyment/etc. and for that purpose, they are gold. I've had a pair for the past couple of years and use them extensively (now with my T600) while flying. For their price and size and considering the sound quality you get, nothing else comes close IMO.

I can also speak as to what a reputable company Etymotic is. My ER-4Ps were a good 2 or 3 years out of warranty and I sent them back for repairs when I started having trouble with them about a month ago. They told me the cord needed to be replaced and the transducers were cracked but rather than repair and charge me for them, they just gave a brand NEW set of ER-4Ps at no charge and shipped them to me free! Now that is customer service!
    Last edited by Marty1781; 01/02/2004 at 02:34 AM.
    I'm a happy user of the ER-6 (Their $99 more affordable product). It does an excellent job at noice blocking, and the sound reproduction is so good, that for the first time in my life I can hear the quality problems of 128 kb mp3's. Crazy!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    You may also want to take a look at "The Plug" from Koss. Amazon has them for $15 ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...bosnation0e-20 ). They are cheap and the audio quality is very close to the over $100 earphone class!

Also, the E2c Sound Isolating Earphones from Shure are a perfect option if you have $99 to spend( http://www.shure.com/earphones/eseries_e2c.asp ).
    Don't fall for the "in-ear" headphones. The second post by mgauss is correct. The body noise is very annoying. And they start to hurt after a while too. Even with the smallest plugs attached to them they were such a sqeeze to get them into my ear canal and very uncomfortable. I had the Shures and the Etymotics and the Kosss (Koss's?) and hated them all. Give me a pair of nice over the ear phones anyday. Just my opinion.
    Originally posted by IHATECOMPUTERS
    Don't fall for the "in-ear" headphones. The second post by mgauss is correct. The body noise is very annoying. And they start to hurt after a while too. Even with the smallest plugs attached to them they were such a sqeeze to get them into my ear canal and very uncomfortable. I had the Shures and the Etymotics and the Kosss (Koss's?) and hated them all. Give me a pair of nice over the ear phones anyday. Just my opinion.
    It all depends on how you use the Etymotic's. They obviously aren't for jogging but if you want to sit back in an airplane seat and enjoy pure musical bliss, IMO, I don't think you can beat them for their price and size. Using them in this manner (stationary) is how they were intended to be used and if used this way, the microphonic cable really is a non-issue (at least for me anyways). The newer Etymotic's are also employing a newer cable that significantly reduces the microphonic cable effect. They should not be uncomfortable in your ear after using them for a few weeks and the fact they were for you tells me that you would have been a good condidate for the custom earmolds as the rubber/foam tips that come with the Etymotic's seem to work for most people who buy these earphones.
    I personally LOVE my sony nc11 noise-cancelling headphones. They're the in-ear style. VERY confortable. I've tried a whole bunch of them and nothing really fits my ear comfortably except for these. I also like how they're super portable because I travel with them a lot.

Their noise-cancelling ability probably isn't the best, but it kinda works. I'm very satisfied with them. About $100.
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p