Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got my "form-fitted" Treo case yesterday and tried running with it this morning. Unfortunately, the hinge on the belt clip has a lot of give, and the Treo bounces around too much for my taste - I ended up just holding it in my hand while running (I listen to audible books).

Can anyone recommend a tight belt-clip or arm-band style case that would work well for running? Since the Ipod is of similar size, has anyone tried an Ipod case while running, that might work well for the Treo?
    You might want to check out the Krusell case:

http://www.executivepda.com/HTML/Pro...ccessories.htm

One of the nice features of the case is the ability to use one of several clips offered. Perhaps one of these clips would offer you the type of hold you're looking for.

http://www.executivepda.com/HTML/Pro...idaptclips.htm
    I use the horizontal case that came with my Cingular Treo for running. It's the same case as the Handspring Horizontal model.

Tried my iPod case, it's not as good.
    Ed
    I was about to suggest an iPod case. It's very much like the sleeve that comes with the Treo600 except it adds a belt clip and it's not quite as tight (which can be good and bad at the same time ). I wouldn't really suggest it for running, but for normal use it serves me very well. Perhaps you can find other iPod cases out there with a strap over the top to secure it into the sleeve which would work very well for running.
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    Hi, while I was still allowed to run, (before my 1st spinal surgery), I use and still use for speed walking, a case made for walkman and they also make them for disc players. They are made of the same fabric wet suits are made of.. neoprene, they have a belt made of the same stuff. Neoprene streches tight, so tight it will not bang against you. The case will be oversized for the t600, but the t600, will not bang at all! In fact as you tighen the neoprene strap the case will become form fitting around the t600! Try roadrunnersports.com. They should have it. Ttake care and happy running, sure wish I was still able to do my daily 6 miles. Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I had the same problem when I was looking for something to carry my Treo when I was at the gym. What I do is put the antenna side in first pointing to the right. I use sport earphones with the Treo adaptor. The cord runs behind the Treo and out the hole on the right. For me this is the perfect solution.

http://www.semsons.com/insporbelfor.html

I hope this helps. I lloked all over for soemthing just right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Agree with above--picked up a belt like that intended for the Ipod at CompUSA. Works great for running. I've always found the neoprene belts intended for CD players too bouncy.

John
    I developed an excellent solution for this very problem (Treo 600 on the daily run). It was even *free* for me - since I had an old phone case with a leather belt clip.

First I bought the (vertical) belt-clip model from Handspring. It stuck out about 3/4" off the belt, bounced all over and was totally impractical/kludgy. And puts plastic over your keyboard.

I looked at their horizontal belt-clip, but once I saw someone wearing one, ruled it out. Bulky, phone gets in the way, etc. Doesn't look very good either.

Then I realized the perfect solution was right in the box my Treo 600 came in - you know that slick/black leather case? But it has no belt clip. So, using a box knife I cut the leather belt clip (including supporting peice of thick leather) off my old "Sports phone case" (purchased at Sprint PCS store). Then I had the shoe repair shop sew it onto the standard-issue Treo case with their heavy-duty sewing machine.

Bingo! With this custom case, the Treo 600 fits very snugly along the waistline, doesn't stick out, and doesn't bounce around while you're running. It looks better with Business attire, than their $$ cases, too - and it is not as noticeable. If you wear it a couple of inches around past the midline of your belt it's hardly noticeable. And the Treo is very easy to get out of the case.

Now I'm wondering if you can buy more of the standard-issue Treo 600 cases from Handspring... but I don't think so. For when I wear this one out! May have to advertise for one on eBay!

I just posted a photo of it to my new moblog, so anyone else interested in making one can inspect it:
    http://bellspage.textamerica.com/

hth,
    steve
    Last edited by sbell22; 01/03/2004 at 08:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I just saw a new arm band last week that could hold mp3 players and cell phones.

I believe it was made by Body Glove, but I am not sure.

SN
    Devices Owned:
    Handspring 600 (retired), Treo 650 x2 (retired), Centro x2 (offline usage), Palm Pre x2, HTC EVO

Apps I can't live without on my Pre:
    Dr. Podder, Music (Remix) and JogStats
    Treo 600 fans searching for a great case... I have purchased 4 or 5 different cases for mine now, in addition to the "home-brew" case I mentioned earlier on this thread. And today I found the best one yet.

Surprisingly, at a "Brookstone" store. Their part # is 305748, and it was only $12.50 in the San Francisco store.

Tight-fitting, slip-in design, great belt clip, usable with sports too (doesn't stick out off the belt, or bounce around). Far superior to either case that PalmOne sells (I've tried them both).

It has a leather "top" that folds over the top of the phone and fastens into place with Velcro, protecting the top of the phone and the SD card area. There is even a "cutaway" in the top that goes around the Treo 600 antenna perfectly. They couldn't have MADE a better case for the Treo if they were trying... this one is a general-purpose case that really works, just by luck. Very small; no wasted case capacity or bulk.

I've also tried the recommended Circuit City, CompUSA, Best Buy (etc) cases - all of them that I've seen mentioned on these threads. This one is my favorite.

I still like my home-brew case as the all-time favorite, because it has no lid and I take the Treo out so many time every day. But it's a close call, and with the Brookstone case you don't need to have any custom sewing done, find the right clip to sew on, etc. And this one is replaceable. I will probably have the "top" cut off since I don't need/want that, but it isn't a big deal - I could use it without mods.

I will post a photo of this one (or a URL to Brookstone.com if they have a photo online) soon.

hth,
    Last edited by sbell22; 01/17/2004 at 10:12 PM.
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
    This is the one, I believe by using the part number that was listed in the previous post:

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/produ...h_words=305748
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
    Yes Chaz, that is it (the latter post). Treosome, the one you found is very similar and looks interesting too. Note, it has a swivel-style belt clip. But I think the second one (the one I bought) is better, because the belt clip is more tight-fitting. The back of the case (the Treo) hugs very tight in to your waistline. With any swivel-clip case, it's going to stick out just a bit further (although this is one of the better swivel-clips). Since the Treo 600 is a bit on the heavy side, when the case sticks out that could turn into a (probably minor) problem.

It's uncanny how well the T600 fits in the Brookstone case... if they would have *tried* to design it to fit the Treo 600, then it probably wouldn't fit quite so well Like the cases that Handspring sells... downright junky!! and 3-4x the cost!
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Will either of those phones allow you to hook up a headset while it's in the case? I hate having to have the phone sitting in my lap while using the headset while driving, and it would be right out for the gym...
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I purchased the armband mp3 holder from Tunebelt.com. Here's a picture of it: http://www.tunebelt.com/ab3.

It holds the Treo pretty snug. Since there is no hole in the bottom for the headphone adaptor you have to run the wires up the side and out the top but the pocket is deep enough to accomodate the Treo with the adaptor at the bottom.

I use it on the elliptical machine which is a little lower impact than running. I'm not sure if the armband would be tight enough with the adaptor in there while jogging. I guess you could always cut a hole in the bottom and put the adaptor outside to allow the Treo to be deep enough in the pocket.

Jason
    You could modify this case to allow a headset to be used (or headphones for playing MP3's) by punching a hole in the bottom of the case... it wouldn't be a problem as far as structural integrity. An exacto knife could be used to cut it, too. Probably best to have a shoe-repair shop do it, including a light stich around the hole (leaving some clearance for the 3/32" plug case, etc.)

The bigger issue is... considering where they put the plug, and factoring in other reports of plugs broken off in the Treo. you've got a problem using it with the plug sticking out... then to get a broken-off plug out, you have to remove the back which voids the warranty. Not the greatest point on the T600 physical design.

Also, there's the issue of accessing the T600 controls to change phone settings, dial a call, change a track on an PTunes, etc. You'd have to unplug the headshet, unless you made the hole in the bottom large enough to "pull" the treo up out of the case, with the cable/plug still plugged in.

I'm working on a couple of "workaround" solutions. One is a small velcro-on plastic collar assembly which protects the plug area from impact, when you're using it at the Gym, on your belt getting in/out of the car, etc.

The other is a "micro-plug" which only sticks out about 1/4" and has a lateral re-inforcement to take any impact stress off the phone. Both of these are home-brew prototypes, if I get something workable I'll post a description and photos on TreoCentral.

I'm building the plug using a 3/32" male connector, but WITHOUT the external jacket. I'm soldering an extender/coupler cable to it, but it'll be a "stub-style" connector. That's the approach. Any suggestions for a better approach welcome.

What I want to end up with is a plug that can always be connected to the treo, with a light cord that does not get in the way as the T600 comes in/out of the case for usage... when you want to use it in that mode.
    steve bell

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    What if you put the T600 upside down and cut a hole in the bottom of the caes for the antenna? That would really make it secure as the antenna would anchor it to the bottom of the case and you'd eliminate the worry re: the 2.5mm plug. If one was to do this, which direction would you want the T600 to be facing (screen in toward arm or facing out)?

What do you think?
    good idea... i'll try that. Maybe a couple of slots in the side and
    you could also access the volume controls (mostly for MP3 mode). you could still use the case in right-side up mode.

I'm not that great with leatherwork, so i may end up going back to Brookstone
    steve bell

sbell22, I went to Brookstone today to have a look at this case and I have to say I disagree with some of your assesment of it.

First off, it's not a perfect fit for the 600. This case is a little too short. In order for the Treo to fit properly in the case you have to pull/stretch the flap so it fully secures onto the velcro. Just doing this one time caused my SD card to pop out from the pressure the flap was putting on it.

Secondly, the antenna cut out is on the wrong side (depending how you look at it I guess.) But it forces you to place the Treo into the case with the screen facing in. I know some people prefer this but others do not.

It's not a bad choice for the price but in my opinion it's no where near the perfect Treo case.
    I found a case at Target yesterday that seems like it would work very well. And it was, IIRC, only about $10.

It's made by Sanyo, and is a "universal" cell phone case, size large (they also have a small, but the T600 is too wide. It's made of padded nylon, and is ok looking, but not as nice a leather. It has a non-swivel type belt clip, and a strap that goes over the top and secures with Velcro. With the phone inserted so the screen faces your hip, the velcro strap nicely clears the antenna. With the screen out, you sort of need to pull the strap away from the antenna. But screen in probably offers more protection anyway.

The only "drawback," if you want to call it that, is that the case is a bit tall. I think you could probably get the right angle headphone adapter in between the bottom of the case and the phone, and still close the top with the strap. (The bottom of the sides are open. If you're careful, you could probably pull the phone out of the case with the adapter and headphone cable still attached.

I'll have to check out the brookstone one, too.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast