1.    #1  
    I find it curious that T-Mobile delays the introduction because, they say, it doesn't sync properly with their network. Now the phones are finally being released to the warehouse and a firmware upgrade shows up that T-Mobile users say improves voice quality and GPRS speeds:

thread on firmware

Seems to be too much of a coincidence. Anyone got any thoughts?
    Enquiring minds want to know ...
    Originally posted by BaltimoreTreo
    I find it curious that T-Mobile delays the introduction because, they say, it doesn't sync properly with their network. Now the phones are finally being released to the warehouse and a firmware upgrade shows up that T-Mobile users say improves voice quality and GPRS speeds:

thread on firmware

Seems to be too much of a coincidence. Anyone got any thoughts?
    Ill let you know in the next couple days when i get mine
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by HumP

Ill let you know in the next couple days when i get mine
    Should be getting mine about the same time.
    Enquiring minds want to know ...
    I thought my "Cingular" Treo was working fine with T-Mobile, but recently I've had a couple instances where people called me and the phone never rang despite good reception. There have also been a few SMSs that I never got. Anyone else seeing this?
    == "...The Treo 600 smartphone is currently available
    == with plans from AT&T Wireless, Cingular Wireless*** and
    == Sprint. We expect to have service from T-Mobile available
    == soon..."
    ==
    == "...*** Cingular-branded Treo 600s have been optimized for
    == use on the Cingular Wireless network. Customers who use
    == Cingular-branded Treo 600s on other GSM/GPRS network may
    == not receive optimal voice reception or data speed..."

-- http://www.handspring.com/products/c...overview.jhtml

Silly thought: Perhaps palmOne is telling the truth?
    Originally posted by infobhan
    I've had a couple instances where people called me and the phone never rang despite good reception.
    And you have never had this happen with any other cell phone that you have ever owned in the past ???
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    [B"...*** Cingular-branded Treo 600s have been optimized for
    == use on the Cingular Wireless network. Customers who use
    == Cingular-branded Treo 600s on other GSM/GPRS network may
    == not receive optimal voice reception or data speed..."[/B]

Well then what about Cingular Treo 600's which have been upgraded to an international unit via the firmware update that has been floating around? Maybe the problem isn't with T-Mobile's network being out of compliance. Maybe its the settings preloaded into the Cingular version for it to work properly with Cingular's network.

That would definitely explain the faster GPRS speeds and enhanced voice quality reported by many T-Mobile users (including myself) after performing the FW upgrade. Definitely something to think about...

All in all I truly love my upgraded/debranded Cingular T600. You'll have to pry it out of my clutches once I'm dead otherwise I will not pass it up. It does exactly what I need it to do and never lets me down.
    Originally posted by infobhan
    I thought my "Cingular" Treo was working fine with T-Mobile, but recently I've had a couple instances where people called me and the phone never rang despite good reception. There have also been a few SMSs that I never got. Anyone else seeing this?
    I have been having the same exact problem. Only a soft reset fixed the problem. It started on the 24th and went throught the weekend until i did a reset. The only time i would receive a call was when the unit was not asleep, as soon as teh screen went blank to go to sleep the calls would ring and the end up in voicemail, never alerting my phone.

I talked ot tmo and palmone - both were worthless in teh help. Maybe the tmo optimized one will fix the problme. I use tmo's service in San Francisco, so I beleive I am even on cingulars towers. Where are you?
    I am in the Boston area. To be fair, I didn't really notice any problems until recently. Anyway, I bit the bullet and upgraded to the latest international firmware that's out there. So far, I haven't missed any calls and GPRS seems to run smoother, but it may all be in my head. It's certainly no worse.

The resolution may have just been a result of doing a hard reset, which the upgrade requires.
    Where can I get the upgraded firmware? I can't seem to find it.
    my cingulair unlocked treo is working great with t-mobile. My only issue is that my speaker phones seems to cause callers to hear an "echo"

i too would be interested in this firmware upgrade does anyone know where to grt it?
    Here is the thread containing a link to the file as well as in depth discussion on installation.
    lite blue,

Check out a post by a member named Mol in the Worldwide GSM forum thread below for the 2.08 firmware update. For installation instructions, go to page 6 of the same thread and scroll down until you come across a rather long post from Mol .

It's pretty straight-forward. I installed from an SDIO card, and it went smoothly. I also concur with the assertion made by skillllllz about improved voice quality and GPRS data speeds now that I'm running the international firmware on my Cingular T6 running on T-Mobile's network. I'm still getting the occasional echo complaint when I use the speakerphone though, but there's DEFINITELY a general improvement.

Firmware 2.08 update

Good luck.
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    thanks for the link.

BTW: my conspirousy therory is that t-mobile is dragging their feet on treo 600 release because they want to market their silly Sidekick phone. I have no evidence, it is just a guess, but they are doing a lot of marketing of the sidekick( TV comercials) andthetreo 600 blows it away
    Originally posted by aolumide
    I also concur with the assertion made by skillllllz about improved voice quality and GPRS data speeds now that I'm running the international firmware on my Cingular T6 running on T-Mobile's network. I'm still getting the occasional echo complaint when I use the speakerphone though, but there's DEFINITELY a general improvement.
    Firmware 2.08 update

Good luck. [/B]
    Yeah, this update is great. I was a little nervous but as aolumide said, it's painless. It took me 30 minutes. Though I can't speak to my phone quality until I use it more, my browser speed has REALLY increased. I bought my Treo in Singapore but run it here in Houston through TMo. Haven't had a single problem. (knock on wood)
    i read on one of the above links that someone was worried that the firware upgrade has caused a big decrease in battery life.
    Has anyone else notice this problem?

thanks
    well I just performed firmware upgrade. Worked great!
    looking forward to testing speakerphone tomarrow
    thanks for all the help to all those who posted
    Regarding battery life after the firmware update - I have not seen a significant difference.
    well firmware upgrade seems to work well, but i still get echo complaints on speakerphone. Maybe i have a faulty device. but otherwise the phone is awesome
    I see no reason why T-mo's equipment should be any different than cingular. remember that they are buying bandwidth from cingular on the west coast. same towers, switches etc.