1.    #1  
    So I keep getting SMS messages on my treo that start with // and the rest is all grabage charachters. I presume this is a valid message that somehow got ****ed up. Anyone know how to fix this?
    Originally posted by quale
    So I keep getting SMS messages on my treo that start with // and the rest is all grabage charachters. I presume this is a valid message that somehow got ****ed up. Anyone know how to fix this?
    Now I'm getting them too... Maybe 6-7 in the last hour.

//SVAgIBMQBAACjcc+kFjVhI3oHeNbgDPXYHmhfrKdH8Kk5qBHNOp5ymiJVLQWoplwdI82KcUqja19/FGslaCI3x5sz0eBm0TWo=//VS

They all vary, but all start with //SVAgIBM...

VERY annoying.
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
    Simple answer to this one guys... any SMS that has the

//SVA ...... //VS

is a Sprint Business connection SMS message trigger. So the question is:

1. Did you have Business Connection installed on your device at one time? Getting this message in the clear means the BC client is not on your device so the standard SMS app is picking it up. If had BC and removed it from your device but have a login still you can log into the web interface and go to the settings page and devices section and remove your device officially. If you don't have a login anymore then call Sprint per #2 below.

2. If you never had Business Connection installed and are getting these then contact Sprint and tell them the situation.. and don't hang up until you get an acknowledgement that they will take care of it. They have a way to turn this off. This can happen due to getting a new phone number from a previous Business Connection user.
    Originally posted by MobileGhost

//SVA ...... //VS

1. Did you have Business Connection installed on your device at one time? Getting this message in the clear means the BC client is not on your device so the standard SMS app is picking it up. If had BC and removed it from your device but have a login still you can log into the web interface and go to the settings page and devices section and remove your device officially. If you don't have a login anymore then call Sprint per #2 below.
    Now THAT's cool! I did have BC installed, but had to delete it as it kept resetting my device (see thread in the SprintPCS discussion -- http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t48740/s.html). Too bad that Sprint was clueless (although not too surprising). They said that maybe I signed up for an SMS messaging and forgot about it.

So I guess that my options are to 1) live with a resetting device, 2) live with annoying messages, or 3) delete BC altogether.
    Last edited by satyric; 02/20/2004 at 08:29 AM.
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
    Comments to your options....

Option 1: Resetting every 5 minutes would be no fun at all. Sounds like you are victim of the Treo ROM upgrade.... Was it working previous to this?

You may try this...

1. Click on the email button on the device to download the app again and register it. See if this solves the problem. It may not but would be worth a shot.

Option 2: This is not an option anyone would live with. If you did not cancel your service yet you can still login via the web and go to the settings page... then go to devices section and click edit. You should see your device listed. Click on the Mark for Delete and the Purge Data and then click save. Give that a few minutes to see if that fixes the SMS attacks... :-)

Option 3. Deleting it from the desktop will not solve the SMS attacks... option #2 should do it. If you are already all deleted everywhere then you'll need to call Sprint and give them your ph number / tell them you are a Bus conn user and they need to purge you from their database.
    Last edited by MobileGhost; 02/20/2004 at 01:30 PM.

//SVA ...... //VS

1. Did you have Business Connection installed on your device at one time?

2. If you never had Business Connection installed

That theory doesn't work for me - I have BizConn installed and working. Any other theories?
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G

//SVA ...... //VS

2. If you never had Business Connection installed and are getting these then contact Sprint and tell them the situation.. and don't hang up until you get an acknowledgement that they will take care of it. They have a way to turn this off. This can happen due to getting a new phone number from a previous Business Connection user.

that could be a possiblilty....the other one could maybe the message isn't decrypting for some reason. When a message is sent, it is encrypted for security precautions, when it reaches it's destination, it decrypts...or as the case may be...doesn't decrypt, which is what I think we have here...I'm not an expert at all this, just an amatuer guess...take it how you want.

::edit::
    this is highly unlikely though, because it would have to do with a coding error, how can that be possible that the keys conflict??? might be a coding error...what firmware and hardware do you have?
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    JoeTampa - To clarify

You still get SMS messages of the variety

//SVA ....garbage looking text..... //VS

even when you have BC installed and working?

1. What device are you using? 300 or 600?

2. What are your sync prefs settings set to on the device? Push and/or scheduled sync?

3. What are your settings in the Web interface "Settings" page for the "Alerts" section?

This is a bit unique and could possibly mean that they are being sent from another user that has mis-typed their phone number during registration. There is a way to pseudo confirm this but it means you'll need to follow some key steps. Read through them all before you start:

1. Log into the Web interface and click on the Setting Link.

2. From the settings page click on the edit button in the devices section. Verify that your device ph number is listed once and only once. If listed once then click on the "Mark for Delete" and "Purge Data" setting and click Save.

3. You'll receive a message on your device in a few minutes saying it wants to obliterate all data... acknowledge this.

4. Shutdown your desktop connector by right clicking on the taskbar icon and select exit.

5. On your device remove the BC program. Soft Reset the device.

Now if you still receive the SMS messages then it is coming from some other place than your setup most likely. The key is how often do you receive the messages that do not get removed. If it is a long while then you'll have to wait accordingly to try and prove it.

To restore things simply restart the desktop client first and then donwload the device client again by hitting the email button and register using your credentials.
    JoeTampa - To clarify

You still get SMS messages of the variety

//SVA ....garbage looking text..... //VS

even when you have BC installed and working?

Yes.

1. What device are you using? 300 or 600?

2. What are your sync prefs settings set to on the device? Push and/or scheduled sync?

Push and Smart Power sync.

3. What are your settings in the Web interface "Settings" page for the "Alerts" section?

All alerts off.

2. From the settings page click on the edit button in the devices section. Verify that your device ph number is listed once and only once. If listed once then click on the "Mark for Delete" and "Purge Data" setting and click Save.

Listed *SIX* times. One (#1) was marked for alerts. I removed the alert setting for #1 and deleted 2-6.

<snip>

Now if you still receive the SMS messages then it is coming from some other place than your setup most likely. The key is how often do you receive the messages that do not get removed. If it is a long while then you'll have to wait accordingly to try and prove it.

Sadly, I don't have the luxury of that kind of time - These occur maybe twice a month. I'll see if removing these other devices helps. I appreciate the info! If they return, I'll look into doing the rest of what you suggested.

- Joe

Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    JoeTampa - Since your device was listed six times that may have been the problem...I'm not sure how it gets into that state but it does and I have seen it reported before. My guess is since it was "over" registered it may have been sending you multiple SMS triggers and while it processed most of them there may have been times where it couldn't, just a theory. You'll know in a few weeks if that fixed the problem.