1.    #1  
    Just got my Reason Product's Unleash! earpiece. I had a Jabra Freespeak for less than a day before I sent it back.

Here is a quick synopsis of my impressions comparing the two:

[list=a][*]Unleash is smaller and lighter [*]Unleash is generally clear ... I had significant static with Freespeak[*]The charger/case is unique and uses batteries [*]The Unleash base unit is significantly smaller [*]The Unleash base unit does not have a clip...the Freespeak does[*]The Unleash click-to-answer and click-to-hangup works perfectly with the Treo 600...as we all know the Freespeak does not! This is a big big PLUS!![*]The Unleash is half the price @$69[*]Quality seems very good, but time will tell[/list=a]

I'll see how it works in 'everyday' use over the next couple of days...Gotta figure out the best way to attach it to my new Piel Frama case (without ruining the case)
    Last edited by howardem; 01/02/2004 at 02:52 PM.
  2. sda
    I, too, returned my Jabra Freespeak after one day. I could hear fine but no one could hear me.

I bought a Shure Quietspot and it seems to work well...nice and quiet even when I'm driving at highway speeds.

For comparison, I have also ordered the Unleash wireless headset AND The Boom. I convinced the nice order person to allow me to purchase it for $99 though I am not a returning customer. I think their holiday special ended yesterday.

Once they've all arrived, I'm going to do some comparison testing for ease of use, noise cancellation, and comfort. One of the three is going to be sent back....one will remain in the car, the other at home for hands free calling.

I look forward to hearing your continued impressions of the Unleash product.
  3.    #3  
    Ok, so I've been using the Unleash now for a couple of days in my standard enviornments (work, car, etc..). What started out to be a love affair is turning sour. The unit has just frustrated the crap out of me!

First off... It is not clear in all enviorments. In the house, without being surrounded by electrical devices it works great, but in my car with all the electronics, heated seats, etc., it is not so clear, crackling and static to be precise. Also, the range drops significantly in my car...I have to put the phone on my lap to get reception, if I place it on the passenger seat I loose reception...thats not even 3 feet from my ear! Also, the sound when it is clear is a bit muffled and not as loud as I'd prefer (turn up the phone and the base unit too high and you get real distortion). Also, as a side note, the volume control should be on the headset and not the base, to make it totally hands free. Not to be totally negative, the unit was very comfortable and the base unit is slick. This is just not ready for me to use in everyday work.

So bottom line...back it goes. Bummer the concept is so cool, too bad the performance just doesnt work for me. Looks like I might get 'The Boom' instead.

Hope others with the Unleash product have a better experience than I did!
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Greetings howardem.

I've ordered the Unleash after reading these boards and am curious as to your return experience. If the product and I have "issues" I'd like to know how efficient they are with RMA's and such.

There is another thread which mentions a user's problem with range and battery life. Perhaps writing them to tell them of the problem will result in a new unit for you and it may work better.

Life on the "bleeding edge" is soo exciting...right?

Thanks and cheers!.

Here's the link to the other thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...h&pagenumber=2
    Palm IIIx, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Centro, Pre
    Originally posted by 7zero
    There is another thread which mentions a user's problem with range and battery life. Perhaps writing them to tell them of the problem will result in a new unit for you and it may work better.
    Greetings. I'm the one that reported this problem and I was happy to see I was the only one until howardem did here. I reported it as a "pairing" problem, based on their troubleshooting page at http://www.reasonproducts.com/support_unleash.html
    I've had mixed results with the static around electronics. Sometimes absolutely clear, and other times not. In fact, the first time I encountered it, I was sitting in my 4Runner with the engine, radio, etc. turned off. Heck, the key wasn't even in the ignition!

I e-mailed them for an RMA No. on the 26th. They responded on the 29th that their returns manager was out until January 5th. I was a little put off by that, but it just seems to show how small a company they are.

howardem - I'm intersted to here about your RMA experience. I'm now supscribed to this thread, but this is the 3rd thread about the Reason Unleash. The one posted by 7zero and this one http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t44057/s.html
    I've switched my reports to http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...t44264/s.html,, trying to keep things in one place ... easier to find, etc.

I'm still going to go for a replacement. Still hoping I'm just suffering from "early adopter glitch syndrome".
  6.    #6  
    I sent an email to Reason Products explaining my problem and hope to hear from them this week. Life on the bleeding edge has it drawbacks!

Blue Merlin - Too many Unleash threads...I agree. This thread started as a comparison of Unleash to FreeSpeak...I did not expect to veer into the same direction as your thread. My expectations were very high for this product... I'm bummed that I get such unpredictable performance from it.

I just ordered TheBoom...I think I am going to wait for one more iteration of the wireless sets before it goes prime-time for me...I just dont have the patience (or talent!) to sync/re-sync while driving, deal with the static, etc. I'll let you know how Reason Products handles the return and refund.
    Such is the life of threads sometimes, isn't it

I have the same plans. One more shot and it's The Boom. I tossed mine in the corner (gently) 2 weeks ago. All I've got left are those crappy HS ear buds.

I understand the holidays and all, but it's still irritating. I might have more patience if I already had a reliable headset and could just play.
    has anyone tried Fonegear or looked in that? Or is that the one you are referring to when stating the "boom?"
    has anyone tried Fonegear or looked in that? Or is that the one you are referring to when stating the "boom?"
    You can checkout some Fonegear comments on the threads posted above, and I believe, in some other threads on this site.

Same for TheBoom. Here's their website http://www.theboom.com/
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I hate to bring this thread back to Unleash, but I am wondering if anyone still likes it?

After a small flurry of positive opinions here, I ordered one, right about the time everyone started complaining about it.

So what is the take on this thing? Are there a couple messed up and the others are OK, or is it looking like all of these are junk?

Thanks
  12.    #12  
    Well its absolutely not junk but the limitations are a problem for me.

When the headset and base unit are synced the system works as advertised although its not very loud and the headset picks up surrounding noises.

The problem is that it doesnt sync all the time, so while driving its sorta hit or miss. If the unit doesnt sync I might have one or more of the following issues:

1) No reception
    2) Static and crackling
    3) Extremely limited range ...like a foot

Its so damn frustrating because its a nicely built and packaged unit, very comfortable and easy to transport...but not predictable or reliable enough for me.

Also, dont expect to leave your phone in the car and go pump gas while still on the phone. This is not a knock on the system or its quality, its simply a limitation of the magnetic technology, which at best gives you 6 feet of roaming.

So....If you dont have a problem with fiddling with the units so they sync up (not a simple task for me while driving) and you must have a wireless headset and you dont want bluetooth (dont even think about the Freespeak...it sucks with the T600!) and you dont want to spend $100+, then this might be a perfectly acceptable unit for you.

Touch decisions!
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by howardem
    The problem is that it doesnt sync all the time, so while driving its sorta hit or miss. If the unit doesnt sync I might have one or more of the following issues:

1) No reception
    2) Static and crackling
    3) Extremely limited range ...like a foot

Touch decisions!
    So have you talked to the them about the prroblems you are having? If so are you sending it back as defective or did they just tell you that this is the way the thing works?

I'm ok with the short range. I have no problem keeping the phone in my shirt pocket or on my belt as thats what I do now and I am used to it.
    howardem - No response from Reason on my RMA request. How about you?
  15.    #15  
    Blue Merlin - Nada...Zilch...No communication...but it is only Monday.

Willp2 - My gut tells me that this is 'normal', but have not heard from them yet regarding the problem or RMA.
    Just got this response from reason: "We will send you a replacement unit today via Fedex 2-day, for delivery by Friday, January 9th. For your convenience, we will also send you a prepaid FEDEX label for returning the defective unit. Please affix the label on the outside of the box and drop it off at any FEDEX location."

They are either reading these boards or are just smart business people. I had decided that if they didn't finally respond by today that I wasn't going to accept a replacement.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Greetings Blue Merlin.

Sorry to have misrepresented the problems you were having with your Unleash and for adding to a crazy threading mess. I guess I'm reading these boards a little too much and confusing some issues.

I'm happy to hear of their note to you. Since I ordered mine last Friday, I've had contact with Reason twice. They've contacted me twice; Once to verify my shipping address and another to let me know of the delay in shipping due to the holiday.

So far Reason sound like they care about customers. Of course the proof is "in the pudding" or in this case...in the headset. I'm waiting for my Unleash to arrive tomorrow and will report back here.

As to avoid another thread, should feedback go into this thread for easy viewing?

Thanks for reading and your thoughts. This type of community feedback rocks!!!

-zero
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I just recieved my Unleash Headset today and so far it seems good other than it feels a bit loose when sitting in my ear. If I shake my head the ear piece falls out (could be my ear...). I will play around with making adjustments to optimize the fit. That said I tested it through my office (i.e., at my desk, in a server room, around various electronic items and moving to random areas throughout the office). Sound quality is loud and clear. Will test in the car, but so far so good.

The unit is surprisingly compact and light. I will provide more updates after I have some more time with it.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    7zero - Re: Which thread to post to: Well, in one sense it may be too late now. But, on the other hand, this thread is meant to be about a comparison of the Unleash and the Freespeak.

Threads migrate. That's just human nature. My only interest is to keep people informed. In this case, especially because I'm only one of 2 people that have reported here about problems with the Unleash (other than the personal prefernce type). That's why I double posted my report today. Another example: I started a thread abou the Unleash. 2 days later someone started another thread about the same thing. I switched my posts over there because more people were contributing there.

So, I'm now posing an honest question. If this thread is no longer about its title, should we declare it dead and move non-comparison Unleash specific posts over here? http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...44264/s/h.html

Re: Unleash Contact You're not the first to report a phone call or two from them. They've never done that for me ... what gives?
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Blue Merlin

So, I'm now posing an honest question. If this thread is no longer about its title, should we declare it dead and move non-comparison Unleash specific posts over here? http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...44264/s/h.html

Re: Unleash Contact You're not the first to report a phone call or two from them. They've never done that for me ... what gives? [/B]
    Right. I'll respond to posts in the group you listed. Sorry for the confusion.

As for contact from them. They E-mailed me regarding the holiday shipping. Perhaps anyone who ordered last weekend received the same E-mail.

Cheers and thanks!