1.    #1  
    Hey, I just wanted to chime in about the keyboard made by Handspring for the Treo 600. I got it for Christmas and I like it a lot. I trip over the Home button by the spacebar sometimes, but otherwise, its really nice. Having a full size keyboard that I can tote when I need it, and leave it when I don't just puts one more nail in my laptop's coffin.

But recently, I was out at the mall with my brother and he wanted me to beam him a contact. I couldn't do it. I got an error of - could not initialize library -. I didn't know what that was all about.

After some trial and error, I realized that I had left the driver for the keyboard loaded. In the driver on the Treo, it has a very distinct On and Off selection at the top. Seems obvious to just turn the driver off now (which did fix the problem), but I frequently try new applications and don't excercise the correct isolated testing procedures in a laboratory environment. As a result, a problem that crops up in an area I don't use much (like beaming), could be caused by a myriad of things. So after simply turing the driver Off, things work well again. I guess the moral of the story is to only turn the driver on when you use the keyboard (which I'm sure was in the manual somewhere, but hey, it was Christmas, who reads manuals on their own time?).

Anyway, I made sure to post the exact error message in my text so maybe someone else will search on it and find this useful.

Jason
    Yeah, the IR keyboard driver can cause lots of conflicts with other app the need to use the IR. For example I couldn't get my Treo to print via IR to a printer w/o first disabling the keybard driver....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I think that all of the keyboard drivers as well as hotsync and IR use the only serial port on the 600. If the keyboard driver is active, it takes over the port and won't release it for other programs to use.
    Zane