1.    #1  
    By default pressing opt+screen (4th button) = keyguard activated.
    This feature is also extended to a press & hold input; press & hold the screen on/off hardkey = keyguard activated.

Thing is, as keyguard itself causes a load of other programs not to work correctly, I have resorted to not using it.
    As such, the opt+screen combo is currently useless.
    Anyone write an app to change this?

Having "opt+screen (as well as press & hold) = lock & turn off" would be sweet.
    Originally posted by rudychow
    By default pressing opt+screen (4th button) = keyguard activated.
    This feature is also extended to a press & hold input; press & hold the screen on/off hardkey = keyguard activated.

Thing is, as keyguard itself causes a load of other programs not to work correctly, I have resorted to not using it.
    As such, the opt+screen combo is currently useless.
    Anyone write an app to change this?

Having "opt+screen (as well as press & hold) = lock & turn off" would be sweet.
    This is interesting. I have not noticed any issues while using keyguard. What problems do you specifically experience and how do you avoid accidental phone dialing if keyguard is disabled?
  3.    #3  
    I use "Disable Buttons". Freeware and configurable. No conflicts too.

As for keyguard causing problems:-

Problem: The inbuilt Keyguard would often "lock" scheduled processes (alarms, backups, email auto-fetching, etc.) unless the programmer has specifically tuned it to work through it. What happens is the screen will turn on and the program will launch the first bit (eg. snappermail's retrieving email popup) , but unless you disable the keyguard by pressing the centre d-pad button, the sceen will remain that way indefinitely. Keyguard also causes alarms on some 3rd party apps to not work.

Real-life Example: Let's say you schedule backups at an unobtrusive period, 6am. As you awake from slumberland, you suddenly remember that an all-important conference call started 30mins ago. You need your phone immediately. So you turn on the Treo and disable keyguard. What do you get next? The backup (which was supposed to run unobtrusively at 6am) will perform now right before your eyes. Your only option now is either to cancel the backup or wait. Either way, the clock's ticking.

Compatible apps: BackupMan, Bob's Alarm, Inbuilt Calendar, DateBk5

Solution: Don't use keyguard. Another freeware, "Disable Buttons" works in much the same way that keyguard does, except it doesn't require any unlocking via the centre d-pad. What it does is disable the hardware buttons so that any accidental presses will not turn on the Treo 600. Completely configurable. With no keyguard, most older apps will work as scheduled.