1.    #1  
    A newcomer to Treo, I'm not sure what to make of all the negative comments about the glitches etc.
    Anyway, after three weeks of "getting acquainted" with my 600, now it's my turn....out of nowhere, I can't answer incoming calls from Caller ID "blocked" or non identified numbers. The touchscreen becomes disabled, and the 5-way navigator does not work. These functions are enabled again after the call terminates or is forwarded to voice mail. HS TS says that I have to go through a hard reset to fix this (maybe) and that the problem probably lies with a third party app on the system, although I have been using only a couple of simple apps (airline timetables, conduit to sync with other PIM). The problem just surfaced today after three weeks of use.

Any ideas out there??
    This is a known problem if you have more than 3000 contacts.
    A workaround is to keep reducing the number of contacts and put all your addresses in Beyond Contacts or Keycontacts, which use a completely seperate database. Agendus won't help as it uses the built-in adress book.
    you might have your touch screen disabled during incoming or when you're on a call. Go to preference and then Keyguard. Check the settings there.
    Hi, I've got the same issue. I contacted HS, and the rerouted me to the "second level support team". They contacted me and asked a few questions. I still haven't had the pleasure of a replie.

I would like to ask all of you to who have this issue to report it to HS, and post something here. The more people reporting it, the faster HS will take action!
  5.    #5  
    Thanks, everyone, for your reply.

Coincidentally, I did increase the number of contacts dramatically before this started happening. The PIM database I use is a real estate specific application and allows me to pick and choose which records I sync. I will adjust this before I do a hard reset, as HS has recommended.

It is interesting how someone in this forum is aware of a "known problem" in this area yet Handspring TS did not seem to have a clue and just wanted to get me off the phone with a quick fix.

Anyway, I'll post the results of my efforts here.
    I don't have this problem on my TreoŚ
    sorry last post got messed up from my Treo posting.

My Treo 600 from sprint does not have this issue. Are you guys using GSM and which carrier are you on?
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by Poryphyron
    sorry last post got messed up from my Treo posting.

My Treo 600 from sprint does not have this issue. Are you guys using GSM and which carrier are you on?

I am using GSM (Cingular).
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by rudychow
    This is a known problem if you have more than 3000 contacts.
    A workaround is to keep reducing the number of contacts and put all your addresses in Beyond Contacts or Keycontacts, which use a completely seperate database. Agendus won't help as it uses the built-in adress book.
    Well, I did reduce the number of contacts, still at 3995, and the functionality returned, but the key and touchscreen respond slow or delayed. I tap the screen or press the navigation button to answer the call and it picks up about two seconds later. Still a little annoying.
  10.    #10  
    I'm thinking, could this be a memory problem? With 32(?) mg of ram, I would be surprised, but maybe saving the large contact database to a SD card would help?
    What if you use the built-in phone app for your personal contacts (to get below the 3000 contacts problem), and a 3rd party app (like KeyContacts or Beyond Contacts) for your business/real estate contacts (or all your contacts for that matter). Those 3rd party apps use their own separate databases, so you don't have the 3000 upper limit problem. The downside is that those separate databases are not saved via Hotsync. However, I swear by Backupman, which I have set to do a full device save every 6 hours. No chance of me losing data. I also use BackupBuddy - configured to save the contents of the SD card - so that if I lose the entire Treo + SD card, I can still do a Hotsync (with BackupBuddy) to get *everything* back onto my device.

Hey...what was the original thread topic again?...
  12.    #12  
    @gasguru

The original thread topic dealt with inability to answer incoming calls when caller id is blocked. Touchscreen and buttons appear to freeze/lockup, okay after call disconnects.
    I reprted the problem to HS, I was forwarded to the sencond level support, and this is what he e-mailed me:

<Quote>
    Thank you for contacting PalmOne Handspring Technical support.

We appreciate your feedback. Please forgive us. We do not have a prompt
    solution to the problem you are having with "No Caller ID" callers. We will
    forward this message to our engineers to have a look at it. We will get
    back to you as soon as we have an answer or solution.

If you ever have any other questions or issues, please do not hesitate to
    email us again, quoting the case number 4223066. This will assist us in
    tracking your case history, and for further troubleshooting. If you would
    like the latest updates or latest news concerning our products, please sign
    up for our free enewsletter at www.handspring.com. Troubleshooting articles,
    FAQ's and downloads can be accessed at www.handspring.com/support.

Thank you,

<End Quote>

I guess we can't do anything but wait!

Perhaps it will speed up things if some of us report the problem we're having!
    I think this problem is specific to the 600.

I don't remember having it with the Treo 180 or 270.

As a workaround, Beyond contacts and Mbook are working fine for me (but Mbook crashes if you enter the Notes field).
  15.    #15  
    @Stynos:

Since screwing around with this earlier in the week, it appears that since Handspring knows what happens when the TREO receives a call (i.e. indentifying someone IN your database) then they need to explore what is happening when TREO looks in your database for a contact that matches the incoming number and finds none.

I don't know, but is seems FAIRLY simple to me. Just another case of releasing a product to the market without being fully tested
    I have had the same situation numerous times and I only have about 300 contacts. As an aside, it has been my experience that the standard reason for most problems is "third party software". My 600 just went ape this week-7 random hard resets. I run 5 3rd party apps-none of which is new. Go figure. I remoed all these apps and it still did it. The good news is that Sprint has promised a new phone when they get some more in.
    I too have had similar problems on the Sprint network. Unfortunately, it seems that one of us in this forum knows more that all of the techs collectively at Sprint. I have talked with several Tier 2 reps who have indicated that the data arrows should only "go green" perhaps once per hour. One rep thought that I may have a defective unit, but I have since replaced that model and the current one does the same as well.

It seems that the incoming calls are arriving as the T600 is communicating with the data network. However, I have my email pushed to me rather than sync'd, and am not utilizing the Web in the foreground or background so I don't know. . .

Hopefully, a knowledgeable Sprint or Handspring engineer is monitoring our discussions and can offer a fix or at least some useful advice....

Cliff