1.    #1  
    A heads up for any of you on the fence about selling your unlocked gsm T600.

I've been watching them on ebay in the last few days and people are getting full list price (or close to it) for a USED unit. New units are going for $720-750. Craziness if you ask me, but thought some of you might want to know...

Jeff
    Just out of curiousity, what does it mean for a GSM phone to be 'unlocked'? This seems like a big deal around here.
    Originally posted by petesamprs
    Just out of curiousity, what does it mean for a GSM phone to be 'unlocked'? This seems like a big deal around here.
    An unlocked unit can be used with any GSM provider. For example, a user can simply pop in the sim card from TMobile, ATTWS, or Cingular into an unlocked unit and use the unit without restrictions. On the flip side, a user cannot use a TMobile sim card in a locked ATTWS phone and vice versa.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I have been watching these prices climb as well. I currently have a GSM Treo 600 (Cingular version unlocked) and plan to post it on ebay when the Tmo GSM is available. I have another serial number to get the upgrade price of $399 (if that holds true). I was hoping to get $499 for it... for the prices the new ones are getting, I may just want to resell the new one. C'mon Tmo... make it available and in a hurry..papa needs a new 512 SD card...

Waiting for Tmo again..(can't complain with the recent free web access, I'm staying with Tmo).
  5.    #5  
    Don't mean to tell you your business, but I suspect that the moment Tmobile starts selling the T600, the prices on ebay for unlocked phones will drop like a stone. That's due to two causes:

1) Most folks want an unlocked phone only because they want to use it with TMO

2) TMO is much less draconian about unlocking phones for their customers than AT&T, so there will instantly be many more "unlockable" phones on the market

Just my $0.02...

Jeff

(Waiting inpatiently for tmo and CES)
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Good point. No need to apologize, it is everyone's buisness here.

I'd be hopefully buying from pa1mone directly. Not sure if Tmo will have them in their stores or site before or after that. I know some people prefer and unlocked phone and do not want to extend their contracts. There are some nice deals for other providers (Sprint's $250 Treo 600), but a 2 year contract needs to be signed. That scares people a bit. The unlocked 270 went for a premium on ebay as I remember. I boc'ed at the visorphone to treo 180/270 upgrade and could never find a ebay deal as a buyer that wasnt well over the $300 upgrade deal.

I think my worst scanario is an even swap for the new Tmo version for a slightly used Cingular version as I have a friend who will give me what I paid... I just think that any previous treo owner will upgrade as I will, and others who do not want to get into another contract and are looking for an unlocked 600 will pay a little more.

I remember seeing some Cingular versions of the 600 on ebay just after I got mine..they were going for a premium as well.
    Just how do these people obtain unlocked phones? Are they dealers or what. Is this the greasy underbelly of the cell phone market?
    Just buy the Cingular version. It's unlocked already.

Originally posted by draxll
    Just how do these people obtain unlocked phones? Are they dealers or what. Is this the greasy underbelly of the cell phone market?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Originally posted by bcaslis
    Just buy the Cingular version. It's unlocked already.

Honestly bcaslis, I could not agree with you more. Until I 'see' a T-Mo' version of the T6 working with added features that I don't have but want or need I'm not letting my fully functional, superbly working Cingular T6/T-Mo' go. It doesn't make any sense to.
    Originally posted by t1234hn

An unlocked unit can be used with any GSM provider. For example, a user can simply pop in the sim card from TMobile, ATTWS, or Cingular into an unlocked unit and use the unit without restrictions. On the flip side, a user cannot use a TMobile sim card in a locked ATTWS phone and vice versa.
    This also applies to international travelers. Many other countries use GSM. So if you travel there frequently, you can get an account and SIM card from a foreign GSM service provider and use their local rates intead of roaming rates from a US company (if the US company has roaming agreements outside the US).
    Day-Timer (1995) > Palm Pilot 5000 (1996) > Palm Vx (1999) > Treo 600 (2003) > Treo 650 (2006)

Avoid MediocreSoft!!! - Give me PalmOS or give me death!