1.    #1  
    Trying to decide on which service works best in the Northern Virginia area. Any recommendations/feedback out there between Sprint, Cingular and AT&T for the Treo 600?

Thanks.
    I've been with Sprint since 1999. No landline. Strictly wireless. Perfect? Absolutely not. But they are good for the most part. My worst "signal" experiences have been inside buildings downtown DC (especially around the White House) and heading West on I-66 near the Gainesville area (intersection with Route 29). Sure, there are some other spots around, but I would call them minor. I always have 4 bars inside my apartment...and signal in the metro while underground is very good (roaming with Verizon).

As far as customer service, I always go to the Sprint PCS store behind the Tyson's Corner mall. No problems at all at that store and they have always gone the extra mile for me. Of course, I am always very calm . I only call the tech support when is necessary.

To summarize, I just signed another 2 year deal with Sprint last month when I purchased the Treo 600. But I have not tried any of the other providers in the area. So I can't compare Sprint to another carrier.

cash70
    Last edited by cash70; 12/30/2003 at 07:40 AM.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I also have only been a Sprint user. I've had Sprint for a few years now as well (at least 4, I think), and had a T300 before I got the T600. I use the Sprint store in Reston at Plaza America as it's just off the path I use to go home. Within the metro area, and the I-95 corridor, Sprint's service is awesome. Once you start going outside the metro area, service tends to be spotty.

The biggest complaint with Sprint seems to be customer service/support via phone. But I rarely have a need to call them for anything, so I've been happy overall.

- Mike
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the info guys.

I'm planning on relocating to the No Virginia in a couple of months. Any experience with the Sprint service in the Charlottesville area? I'll be going there frequently.
    Originally posted by cash70
    signal in the metro while underground is very good (roaming with Verizon).
    How does that work? I think that disabled "digital roaming" on my 600 so I'm guessing that I'll have to change that. What's the charge to roam on Verizon?
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
    Originally posted by satyric

How does that work? I think that disabled "digital roaming" on my 600 so I'm guessing that I'll have to change that. What's the charge to roam on Verizon?
    Yes you will have to enable roaming. I signed up for the Sprint PCS Free & Clear America service. It is $5.00 per month and will allow you to roam on Verizon's network. Your limit is 50% of your used anytime minutes. I have a 2500 minutes plan, however, if I only used 1000 during the month of December, only 500 will qualify for the plan. Anything above 50% will be charged at the regular rate. Also, when roaming your Vision service will not be available. So it is purely voice.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Originally posted by dpark
    Any experience with the Sprint service in the Charlottesville area? I'll be going there frequently.
    You should be good down Rt. 15/29 to Culpeper, but Rt. 29 beyond there will likely either be roaming or without signal until you get to Charlottesville. Sprint's tower maps don't provide any detail on the Charlottesville area, so I don't know how well it's covered, but I would imagine it's probably pretty good.

If you take I-95 south to I-64 West (which is probably more round-about, but works nonetheless), you should have coverage all the way.

- Mike
    go with sprint....for real. haven't had any problems playin with my treo. i got people that has all the other services....they get a lot of problems once they get on the road.