Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You said, "but the charger still works fine on my Treo300 and did not short out"

My phone came with a special notice NOT to use the 300 car charger on the 600. Maybe tha
    t's what's FRYING batts??
    unfortunately this happened to me last week, went on hols
    I've done a lot of experimenting the last few days with this battery drain problem. I ran this phone to nothing and plugged it back into the charger. The charger would bring back the battery life to only 50% no matter how long the charger was on.

The TOTAL reset of the unit immediately cured this problem. As a matter of fact as soon as the reboot was complete the battery showed 100% charge.

Just resynch with the puter and all your all programs are back right as rain.
    Good luck guys.

This also worked with my buddies treo 600 as well. Two treos equal problem solved.
    What does the blinking LED mean? Can't find in the manual.
    Originally posted by vitb9doc
    What does the blinking LED mean? Can't find in the manual.
    Blinking green means you have service.
    thanks.

I noticed today that with phone plugged into usb charging cable--charger plugged in to outlet--that if phone or net used, red led comes on and it takes several minutes before it become green. If using while fully charged, which it had been, I would have though that if plugged in there would be no need for additional charging after finishing an e mail session or web session.

anyone else with this problem?
    It's my understanding that USB charging cables charge at a MUCH lower rate than the AC (or auto) chargers. So it seems possible that using the net draws more current out of your battery than the USB cable is putting it. Hence, the red light comes on because the battery voltage monitor sees less than full voltage.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I had the same thing happen last night.. battery ran down to the point where I couldn't turn the unit on with any of the usual keys, even after plugging in the charger cable. Found that ejecting my SD card caused it to wake up immediately... Interesting.
    Originally posted by Poryphyron
    I'll bet that your phones battery was not rebooting correctly. If you performed a battery reset on the Treo 600, your battery would probably have switched off correctly and then reawoken when connected to a charger. Soft reset whie olding down K and backspace keys to turn off the battery completely - you will lose all data but it is the most complete reset you can perform to awaken a seemingly dead unit.

If your battery was incredibly low, you might not even have enough power to get the reset to effect. Perhaps doing it with the charger connected would do the trick.
    Poryphyron, so you are talking about resetting the battery instead of the palm device. i had never heard of that before. where did you find out about that? is it in a manual someplace or something?
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    I wanted to kill the battery of power completely and it really made my phone go into a panicky type of behavior. Nothing was working properly at below 20%. I figured since the battery was irreplaceable (unless turned in to palmone or to put that ugly battery attachment on it) that cycle charging the battery would make it last longer. I would highly recommend to go by what the instructions state which is to "top off" charging as much as possible instead of cycle charging.
    Just curious - since you knew what was in the instructions, what made you think letting the thing go completely dead was a good idea?

The problem of "battery memory" in rechargeable devices was dealt with a long time ago.
    yeah.....battery memory. that was a problem with ni-cad and later ni-hydrate batteries....i believe. li-ion batteries
    (which i believe almost all cell phones and pdas with internal batteries now use) don't have those issues and so don't have to be drained. so i was surprised to hear about "resetting" the treo's battery. i didn't know you could do such a thing. i, of course know about resetting (akin to "rebooting") the palm...but in the above posts they are talking about "resetting the battery"...
    Last edited by southbound747; 01/10/2004 at 08:59 PM.
    on a lot of the new/highend pda's, smartphones, laptops etc there are electronics which charge the battery in an 'intelligent' (adaptive) fashion and also keep some of the memory and cpu circuitry (silicon) from going completely dead when the battery charge gets low... sometimes backup batteries, but frequently nowadays just capacitors which serve to keep some ram/logic alive, etc... and smart charging circuitry. So there is now often a simply "dead battery" mode, then there is "completely dead battery(s)" mode, and there is often a "reset" button/mechanism to move into the latter state.

I first discovered this on my Mac powerbook... it has some similar issues and you have to know where the "secret button is (under the snap-out keyboard) to "reset" the battery circuitry, to fix a variety of ills. I suspect something similar is going on with the Treo. Just speculation at this point, though...
    steve bell

Sharp Zaurus>HP200LX>Cassiopeia E-10>Palm Pilot 1000/5000>iPaq 3600>HP 360/620LX>Palm III, IIIx>Diamond Mako>Palm V>Palm Vx>Psion 5Mx>iPaq 3630,3670>Samsung i300>Sony Clie NX70>Kyocera 7135>Sony PEG T50>Samsung i330>Treo300>Samsung i500>Sony NZ90>Sony SJ33>Rim 7230>Sprint Treo 600>Treo 600>iPaq H4355 PPC>iPod + Sprint Treo 600>Sony Clie NX-73, Th55>Sanyo 8200>Treo 650>Tungsten T5+BB 7290>iPhone 2G>iPhone 3G>AT&T BB Curve>AT&T BB Storm>BB Bold>Sprint Curve>Sprint/Palm Pre (6/6/09)
    ok...cool sbell22....thanks for the info.
    same happened to me. My battery drained to below 0 and the some. I couldn't turn it on until i connected it to the charging cable. And to my surprise, all my data was loss and it had rebooted itself. I know it didn't do this to the t300, why now on the t600?

From what i've read, I don't think most people who have tested this have tested it enough. Just draining it to 5% is still more then enough for it to retain the memory. Instead, try killing the batter and then leaving it on all night until it won't turn on anymore. And then leave it like that for a few more hours and see if your data is still there or not. That would be a better test then just draining it to 'near' 0%.
    I'm not having that problem at all. It shuts down and I've gone as long as two days without a recharge and the data has not lost. Using Treo 600 Cdma.

I bought the my car charger at the sprint store and use a regular home charger.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by eskin
    I had the same thing happen last night.. battery ran down to the point where I couldn't turn the unit on with any of the usual keys, even after plugging in the charger cable. Found that ejecting my SD card caused it to wake up immediately... Interesting.
    Exact same thing happened to me this morning! I had seen this thread, but never paid any attention to it - but my Treo shut itself off for low battery, and button pushing didn't help. I popped the card and voila.

I hadn't tried any kind of a reset at that point yet though, so maybe just resetting woudl have done it too.

Danita
    Hi There,

Fist post on this thing. I had the same exact problem several times with my T600, but I must say that (at least the last two times) what happened was that I was using an installed application (Scrabble, to be precise) and the Treo didn't even warn me about the battery running low. It just went dead an erased all my data. So annoying.

If anyone finds "a cure" for this, please share.

Thanks.

d I e M e L

Quote Originally Posted by inspecta gadget
    same happened to me. My battery drained to below 0 and the some. I couldn't turn it on until i connected it to the charging cable. And to my surprise, all my data was loss and it had rebooted itself. I know it didn't do this to the t300, why now on the t600?

From what i've read, I don't think most people who have tested this have tested it enough. Just draining it to 5% is still more then enough for it to retain the memory. Instead, try killing the batter and then leaving it on all night until it won't turn on anymore. And then leave it like that for a few more hours and see if your data is still there or not. That would be a better test then just draining it to 'near' 0%.
    But at that point you had ignored the warnings about low battery and kept the screen on... the battery warning mechanism cannot account for you continuing to crank the battery with high processor use and LCD on with keyboard backlights etc. The protection mechanism is meant to warn you that your power is low and then put you in an unusable state for a while. It seems that continuing to use your handheld after the EXTREMELY low warning is a bad idea because it may force your handheld to go straight thru the shutdown stage and jump to a voltage which is an endgame for your data. This is like getting the low gas warning on your car and continuing to drive at 80mph instead of limping to the gas station.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danitaz
    Exact same thing happened to me this morning! I had seen this thread, but never paid any attention to it - but my Treo shut itself off for low battery, and button pushing didn't help. I popped the card and voila.

Danita
    So does an SD card increase battery drain? I mean, if it is not being accessed?
    One day I ran my battery completly down, to the point of the treo shutting itself down. Then I turned it back on (pressed reset button) and used it somemore (10 min maybe) then it shut down again... so i hit reset and used it somemore...did this twice... then it was down for the count... wouldn't turn on... got home and plugged it in... the treo was powered off completely but the charge light was red... about 5 hrs later I unplugged the unit and it looked like it was off so i hit the reset button and it came on fully charged... moral of the story... run it down till it cuts off completely... it won't hurt anything....
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12