1.    #1  
    I'm sure others have done the following...I just couldn't find a tread discussing this (sorry in advance if this has been covered in a different thread)...

While waiting for my Piel Frama case I decided to take the standard slip-on case that came with the Treo, and a $7 clip from CompUSA (a button with sticky tape and a removable clip) and two drops of super glue...and viola! I've got myself the equivalent of an IPod case for my Treo...that fits! Works great....

Of course, I'll be tossing it out once my new Piel Frama once it arrives.

Cheers

Interesting...but how about some pics!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    Here is a composite pic ....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hmmm... just be careful until the new case arrives. I did the same thing using an extra nub from the clip I use with my Waterfield case (http://www.theclip.com -- awesome BTW!), and the industrial space-age supernatural extra-sticky 3M glue still wasn't good enough for the nylon outside of the 600's slipcase. It worked great for a week! ... until it popped off in the car. :O

Funny thing is... the clip part of my original iPod case broke off leaving my poor little iPod sitting on the floor down the hall at work (fortunately I rescued it before it was abducted by some other music lover). I picked up a Nutshell case for my Treo, but now I'm tempted to make daily examinations of the threads with a microscope to make sure they're not fraying.

No, I'm not paranoid. Nope. Not a bit. Uh uh. Nope. No way.
    Dave
    Originally posted by howardem
    While waiting for my Piel Frama case I decided to take the standard slip-on case that came with the Treo, and a $7 clip from CompUSA (a button with sticky tape and a removable clip) and two drops of super glue...and viola! I've got myself the equivalent of an IPod case for my Treo...that fits! Works great....
    Are you still using this homemade case? How has the attachment of the button to the slipcase held up? Any signs of it weakening or coming of?

Thanks,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  6.    #6  
    Meyerweb,

I only used the case for a few days and then replaced it with the Piel Frama (great case BTW). So I can not attest to the potential longevity. I imagine that it would fail eventually and its probably just better to get a cheapo case then risk your Treo.

Cheers...
    Thanks for the info.
    Bob Meyer
    This thread reminded me that a couple of years ago I bought a belt clip kit. Consisted of a belt clip, two plastic buttons to attach to the back of things, and two round pieces of 3M double sided foam mounting tape. I only used one of the disks, for a Nextel phone my office gave me, and it stuck like it was welded on. When I took a new position in the company, I passed the phone on to my replacement, and it's still hanging it there.

So I decided to try turning the cheap slipcase that came with the phone into a belt case.

Granted, a smooth plastic cell phone makes a better gluing surface than a nylon case, but I decided to give it a try anyway. That 3M tape is good stuff. Following the directions as best as I remembered, I cleaned the case and plastic disk with an alcohol swab and let them dry for about an hour (the nylon did soak up some alcohol). I then put the sticky tape on the back of the disk, positioned it on one side of the case and pressed. Hard. Then I put a small piece of wood inside the case, put the plastic button on a table, and pressed even harder. Then I let it sit for 24 hours for the adhesive to cure.

Today, that button seems to be stuck on really solidly. I pulled on it with a lot more force than the little Treo will put on it. I've been wearing it today, and it seems to work fine. It hold the Treo firmly enough it's not going to fall out, but it pulls out without too much grief when I want it to. I'm going to watch it carefully for a while to make sure it's not coming loose, though.

Next, I think I'm going to take a heavy duty punch an make a hole in the back of the case where the speaker is.

For anyone who's interested, the little belt clip kit came from Best Buy. I've attached a couple of photos, too.
    Bob Meyer
    And here's a view with the clip attached. Both of these pictures were taken with the Treo, BTW.
    Bob Meyer
    in prowling this area a thought came to mind (and this exceeds the number of thoughts/year i allow myself), has anyone tried doing this with the The Ultra Clip™ from the clip co. the same one that is used in the Vaja line?
    Lesson learned:

Do NOT use a swivel clip on a case without a top strap or closure!

Yeah, that's right. The included case, which seemed real snug at first, isn't so snug anymore. After a couple of days, the case got flipped upside down while I was at Best Buy, and my baby fell out on the floor. Thankfully, it was carpet, it landed on the antenna, I think, and nothing was broken. But my SD card did pop out, which I didn't discover until later that day.

Yes, I went back.

No, no one found it and turned it it.

Oh, well, live and learn. I still think the idea is sound, but only with a belt clip, and not a swivel.
    Bob Meyer