1.    #1  
    I think the Treo 600 is a great device. Sure it has a few drawbacks, but all in all it's solid. My one problem is that it's running the Palm OS.

While I like Palm, I think the PocketPC devices are starting to really look nifty. Soon I'll bet MS will get it right and they will have one heck of an OS on their hands (which is hard for me to say as I write this on my 17" Apple PowerBook).

So now my question... Does anyone make a PPC device that compares to the 600 in hardware? It has to be fairly small (the Hitachi is a brick) and it has to have a thumboard. If it's not out today, do we know of a device that will be released in the coming year that will do this? So far I have found nothing. A few come close, but they are either HUGEGANTIC or they are missing the thumboard.

I really like my 600 and won't give it up, I am just curious as to what the future will bring (and I doubt that PalmOne will be releasing a PPC device, just a hunch).

Thanks,

-SD
    How about hacking the treo to run it? hah, pipedreams
  3.    #3  
    Speaking of pipedreams, maybe that's the case. Maybe the PPC devices just consume to much power or have processors that are to big to run on a smaller device. Maybe we won't see a Treo-esq device running PPC for many years. I could just be dreaming here.
    I'm writing this reply on my 17" Apple Powerbook and methinks you're nuts for wanting something with a MS OS!

That said, you're probably right. With the scores of positive reviews on the form factor and feature set of the T600, other manufacturers can't be far behind. And since most of the target audience for convergence devices is already using Windows, I'm sure Windows Smartphone OS will be powering many of the front runners.

I personally am hoping PalmOne and PalmSource can keep up.
  5.    #5  
    My thought is that they won't be able to... They are barely in the lead now, and MS has a lot more money in their pocket to throw at this market. MS wants this area, and what MS wants, MS gets.

I have nothing against Palm, I think it's great... I just don't see it living for the next 5 years. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

SD
    I would suspect (and hope) that Palm will remain at least a niche player in the PDA-phone space - there is a huge base of available applications, which will take quite some time to build up on the PPC side. The other thing is that there will always be a certain number of people who will buy computing devices primarily on their non-MS-ness. People have sounded the death knell of Apple for years, but through a constant stream of innovation, they have kept afloat, perhaps even gaining ground.

I work at a company that earns 100% of their revenue from developing for the MS platform and I have pariah status for owning a palm device but no one seems willing to go head to head with me on features, integration or form. My coworkers have both i500s and MPx200s.
    MS makes bloatware. They really NEED all the memory they can get cuz their apps are usually bloated way more than they should. I recently tried to switch to a PPC PDA, bluetooth phone combo and gave up (after I lost my Treo180). Things you take for granted on Palm will give you frustration on the PPC. Best of class apps will appear like hacks written in a weekend. I'm a software professional (and MS enterprise apps at that), I should know.

ActiveSync is a hack which insults intelligence. With Palm I never even have to think about all the crap I ended up worrying about on PPC. Anyone wants to buy an IPAQ 2215

MS has money, never has had innovative ideas. They may push there way in with brute force, but in terms of merit, it is up to us users to support the better technology, make that way better (as against hacks put together to keep their finger in every pie).
    Originally posted by silverdragon

So now my question... Does anyone make a PPC device that compares to the 600 in hardware? It has to be fairly small (the Hitachi is a brick) and it has to have a thumboard. If it's not out today, do we know of a device that will be released in the coming year that will do this? So far I have found nothing. A few come close, but they are either HUGEGANTIC or they are missing the thumboard.

Where's PurpleX when you need him!!!!!!!

The only "PPCs" with thumboards are the G1000 and the h4135, and the latter obviously is not a phone. Also, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$ $is$ $only$ $one$ $M$$ $Smartphone$ $model$ $from$ $Sierra$ $called$ $the$ Voq that has an interated thumbboard. However, this obviously is a totally different platform than the one found in PPC's....

If your willing to forgoe the thumbboard, there are a few intriguing options like the forthcomng h6000 which is supposedly based on the TI Wanda ref design. Then there is also the LG SC8000 which is a very interesting and svelt device...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    why not run a ppc emulator on a palm? you can do the opposite I know for sure...
    I think running a PPC emulator on a Palm wouldn't work very well. Most of the hardware specs for a Palm OS are below the requirements of a PPC. You'd need more powerful hardware to run the basic PPC apps and then you'd need extra for the layer that emulator needs. With the strides that the Palm hardware has made it's possible it could happen in the future. Right now, it's like making an Super Nintendo emulate a Playstation 2.
    you can run super nes emulator on palm (treo)...
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Where's PurpleX when you need him!!!!!!!
    lol, shhhh . . . he may still be lurking around here, you don't want to awake him.
    if you want to see some real m$ fanatics, check out the i600 links on the verizon howard forum.

despite it being buggy, slow caller id, a battery hog, basically no software, horrible re: text input, questionable rf and having a 33% return rate (based on forum poll), there are still a pile of people that just blindly say they love the thing (to the point that i was wondering if M$ was paying them off).

of course, it is currently the best (LOL x 1,000,000) that verizon offers!
  14. crp
    When I first saw it, I thought it WAS a Treo.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/h...owse_link=true
    Sprint Treo 755p, 650. Before that: Treo 600, 300, Pilot & Palm Pilot.