Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Its funny that the folks who down the T600 the most are the ones who don't have one...
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Donna sits with the people at Palm that paid millions.

Donna says, "guys, we're gonna make it worth your while that you bought us."

"Here's why:"

(now you fill in below)
  3. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    The interesting thing about this thread is that it highlights the fact that people have different ideas about what makes the perfect smartphone (PDA/PC/car/wife etc).

I use the phone in the car alot, so I miss some of the features of my old 6035, but a proclip car holder and a Jabra bluetooth adapter have resolved some of those problems - voicedial would be nice - and some big buttons for speed dial.

I have no use for voice memos - never used it on the 6035.

The screen resolution is just fine - since the tradeoff would be less battery life.

I've gotten used to the keyboard - so much easier than graffiti - would be nice to be able to play bejeweled without a stylus or fngernail though.....

I'd like it if no apps were in ROM - that way I could decide if I wanted city time (no, since I use worldmate) or datebook+ (no, I have datebook5), but those apps are fine for the casual user.

The camera is fine - I have my D1 if I want better pics.

No device will make everyone happy - this seems to be a fine compromise those....
    Cheers

Charles
  4.    #44  
    As the thread starter, I'm surprised this one has lasted so long. Guess it proves my point: There is debate here.

Despite the clear excellence of the Treo 600, we're still not there yet. Let me just ask you this, how many people have looked down at their T6 and seen a fatal error staring back for no apparent reason?

And we take it. We hit reset and try to figure it out and waste a lot of time in the process. Honestly, it's getting a little old. I know I will be flamed by those who will say, "don't buy it" or whatever. But that's not really the point. We're all just getting so used to taking it. We're like this big free QA department. Worse, we're the ones paying for it.

To me, that's not the way it's supposed to work.
  5. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    This treo has given me fewer resets than any of my 6 prior palms. PPC devices will reset all the time.

Buggy third party software is usually the culprit for the resets - not the device itself - why is that HS' fault?

I ALWAYS know why I got a reset - I suspect most users do. It is almost always to be traced back to some installed program.

I have about 15mb of installed programs and my treo is rock steady.......
    Cheers

Charles
    Originally posted by MobileDave
    Let me just ask you this, how many people have looked down at their T6 and seen a fatal error staring back for no apparent reason?
    Hardly ever. Almost all the resets I've encountered were due to buggy thrid party software that I probably shouldn't have installed in the first place....

Anyway, how would you know since you already stated you don't have a Treo600?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Hardly ever. Almost all the resets I've encountered were due to buggy thrid party software that I probably shouldn't have installed in the first place....

Anyway, how would you know since you already stated you don't have a Treo600?
    Ditto.

If you could please list the software you presently have installed on your imaginary Treo 600, the rest of us may be able to help you track down the culprit.

Have you done a backup/hard reset/selective one-at-a-time restore? That will generally find it for you.
    Originally posted by JTREOB
    I've used disposable camera's that take much better pics then the 600.
    Disposable CAMERA! Key word - CAMERA. Or did that camera also have a phone built into it along with a PDA and email ability?

TROLLS!!!!!

I love that the one of the biggest complaints is the CAMERA!!! For goodness sakes - WHO CARES ABOUT A CAMERA?? IT'S MAIN FUNCTION AND USE IS PHONE AND PDA!!

Go back to your holes.
    Originally posted by MobileDave
    As the thread starter, I'm surprised this one has lasted so long. Guess it proves my point: There is debate here.
    DEBATE??? Where? I see the vast majority posting in strong support of the T600. Oh, and then there are the few trolls that don't even own the T600 posting about how bad it is - I guess that's a well informed and factual opposition to make it a 'debate'.

Too funny.
    Trolls? People complaining who don't have the phone? Wrong on both counts.

The fact is, a poor camera shouldn't have been included. Even the latest evaluation piece at treo central says it's "terrible."A sound recorder ,as mentioned in this review as well, should have been included. It would have made more sense for those of us who seek a legitimate business tool vs. the latest gadget.

There are other items, as well, that need addressing and were accurately mentioned in the TC review.

Trolls? In a shallow attempt to discredit, you can call them what you like. Personally, I see people with legitimate complaints on a smart phone that requires some obvious improvements and as so agreed to now by the TC staff. Those trolls!
    Last edited by JTREOB; 01/03/2004 at 07:17 PM.
    Even the latest evaluation piece at treo central says it's "terriable." Those trolls!
    Yeah, they aren't expressing any kind of, like, y'know, "opinion" kind of thing. Not at all. Or, maybe, yeah, it could, y'know, like, be. Or something. (Of course, I'm not sure what a review of "terriable" means, but then I can't spell either.)

Arguments that the 600 should have included a certain feature are pretty sad. The lack of Bluetooth or a voice recorder doesn't make the device "flawed" or "broken" or wrong in any way, really -- it just means that it isn't the device you are looking for. Now move along, please. Would you buy a Mac and then complain that it doesn't have very many games? No, that's just silly -- Macs don't do games. If you bought a Mac and think you're a gamer, you're just dumb. The same logic basically applies to the Treo.

On the other hand, one of the things that makes the Treo (and other Palm OS devices) so attractive right now is the rich independent development community. It is actually possible that you could get your Treo 600 voice recorder even though Handspring didn't include it with the original package. You could get what you want! Amazing!!

Talking about actual included features and how well or poorly they work is another matter, of course. Sure, the camera isn't the greatest thing ever, but now we're into the range of personal opinion (imo). I like the Treo camera. It's very much like a toy, but I happen to like toy devices like this. So there.

Saying that a feature specifically shouldn't have been included is ...well, it's pretty silly, too. You have to go through the whole deep dark forest of Opinions About The Features before getting to say that one weak feature should have been left out in place of another one (even if the new feature is a cheaper, lighter, simpler device). Does anyone really think they can successfully navigate that path and arrive on the other side with a coherant argument? I'm just gonna go ahead and say that no, no you can't.

The whole "people who don't have a Treo giving their opinions on its quality" thing is pretty funny. Look, guys -- it's perfectly fine for anybody to say what they think about, well, about anything. On the other hand, it's simply got to be true that people who actually have the freakin' thing most likely have a stronger claim on being able to understand the device.

The Treo is good enough that individual taste continues to be the largest deciding factor in evaluating the device.
    One needs to examine their own standards as to what is acceptable and what is not. It's obvious there are those with higher standards and expectations then others. Whether it's the camera, speakers, rattles, sd slot configuration or cookie issue there's no doubt one could be completely satisfied with the 600 while another very disappointed.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 01/03/2004 at 04:33 PM.
    The fact is, a poor camera shouldn't have been included. Even the latest evaluation piece at treo central says it's "terriable."
    With all due respect, I think I would prefer a crappy camera to no camera at all...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    One needs to examine their own standards as to what is acceptable and what is not. It's obvious there are those with higher standards and expectations then others. Whether it's the camera, speakers, rattles, sd slot configuration or cookie issue there's no doubt one could be completely satisfied with the 600 while another very disappointed.
    This thread is pathetic. I happen to love this device, and refuse to read this crap. I'll go back to all the other (thankfully) helpful threads that just make the 600 that much better. For those of you trolls who will undoubtedly flame me, take comfort in knowing that I will not revisit this thread to defend my post. Flame away!

Thank you to all the people who post things of value to this forum. You make sorting through the crap worthwhile.
    Who's pathetic? What a joke.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 01/05/2004 at 06:18 PM.
    Treo 600 will own your bases. You cannot win. Treo only smartphone that will ever love you. You are nothing without the Treo 600.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123