Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have owned the 180 and 270 and currently a 600 and have not had any issues.

The Treo 600 is well made and OS so far is much more robust than previous versions.

I have experimented though installing various flavors of different software on all of my Treos and yes I have locked it and have had to do hard resets.

To answer your questions:

1 - "-- Basic hardware problems are surfacing"
    These appear to be happening with folks that have upgraded their firmware released for the Italian Treos and not "official" releases of firmware. My phone appears to function better with less "dead" spots than my Treo 270 using Cingular service in Chicago.

2 - "-- Sprint is getting better but still really doesn't get data (read SMS);"
    I personally have never liked Sprint. Still use them today though for my Broadband ISP connection. I use Cingular GSM and it works fine although I have never depended on their technical support as I found out early on it is worthless. (but so is AT&T and Verizon's)/

3 - "-- Users have to struggle with core software."

Appears to happen more with users which are experimenting with different software. Relating to basic OS and installed programs I have not seen any issues yet.

In summary as others have mentioned:
    Folks (I am one of them) not having problems will not post as much as the folks that are having problems.
    I enjoy my T6. No major problems.
    The summary of all these statements is, Just like the TV @ your house if you dont like whats on the channel CHANGE IT!!! Quit coming on here whinning and complaining about a device that you dont even own! You have the option you get a PPC if you dont like it. Go back to the 270 or 300 link and Bi#*h with the other slackers about why you arent trading up to a 600. For most of you I would imagine it comes down to MONEY! If you really liked your 300 and could afford it you would have a 600, if not your friggin crazy! Good luck sitting around waiting for the next best thing, they have these FCC reports that detail any and all soon to be released phones, and I didnt see anything on the near horizon. There is no device in current production that comes close to the package that this "bad company" that "misleads" people. If they put out the device before it worked to the best of there ability you would complain that they had bad quality control. This is the price you pay to play the game, DEAL WITH IT OR SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!
    Treoseur
    To the guy who started the post

Sorry you don"t have the treo 600. As a previous Treo 300 user I can attest it is much better to have a faster treo that can be operated with one hand without that stupid flip lid.

I'm glad you're mature enough not to start a whole thread because you feel inadequate because you don't have the latest toy.

As a long time treo central user I can attest to the fact the issues or questions people have on the treo 600 people had a similar amount of questions on the treo 300.

The treo 600 is just more popular so more people post and try to do different things.

I am very happy with the Treo 600!!
    Palm Professional -> Palm III-> Sprint Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Sprint Handspring Treo 300 -> Sprint Handspring Treo 600 -> Sprint Treo 650 -> Sprint Treo 700p
    there's a cookie problem, and the speakers are marginal at best. the camera is a joke, and no voice recorder is inexcusable.

correct these issues and you'll have a device that will be hard to beat.
    Originally posted by JTREOB
    there's a cookie problem, and the speakers are marginal at best. the camera is a joke, and no voice recorder is inexcusable.

correct these issues and you'll have a device that will be hard to beat.
    Even if I grant you all those things that you mentioned, the device is already hard to beat.

Why didn't you just go ahead and add lack of bluetooth and low-res screen and all those other things that people occationally come on this board and gripe about?

Let's face it. As far as convergence phones go, there's nothing else out there that compares, flaws and all.

PS there's a fix for the cookie problem and I'm sure someone will write a voice recorder for the Treo 600 before 2004 is out. I suppose the speaker issue is a matter of personal preference, I have no problems with it. The camera does suck, though with practice you can get decent pictures out of it.
    Originally posted by ewokninja

Even if I grant you all those things that you mentioned, the device is already hard to beat.

Why didn't you just go ahead and add lack of bluetooth and low-res screen and all those other things that people occationally come on this board and gripe about?

Let's face it. As far as convergence phones go, there's nothing else out there that compares, flaws and all.

PS there's a fix for the cookie problem and I'm sure someone will write a voice recorder for the Treo 600 before 2004 is out. I suppose the speaker issue is a matter of personal preference, I have no problems with it. The camera does suck, though with practice you can get decent pictures out of it.
    PS. there is a temp. fix for the cookie issue. there is NO perm fix for the cookie issue. there are many who have stated the speaker stinks at higher volumn when sometimes needed. i agree. as far as an app to correct the lacking voice recorder, forget it. the unit needs to be flashed and nothing is in site to allow for this addition. decent pics with the camera? this camera was tossed in for the wireless companies and there lust for minute/data usage.

you are correct, it may be the best available. i have not used the samsung i500 which seems to have some nice features and a solid build. Regardless, an improved 600 model is needed to reach ultimate status.
    i have never found an issue with the core or whatever type of hardware on my treo 600.

its been fantastic!

its provided me with all that i have expected it to do.

and i have used many third party applications. sure a few dont integrate well, but its not a crisis at all.

sure, id love to see a better screen res, bluetooth, voice recorder and the typical cliche improvements, as well, but there is no other comparable device on the market now.

this is the best.

i think no matter what you have, you might always say you deserve better, because there will always be other products to choose from in todays free market.

yes you could wait for better devices, but you would be missing the many wonderful ways the treo 600 could improve your quality of life right now.

you can choose to light a fire with a match or you can choose do so by rubbing sticks together. its your choice. you can live either way, if you get my meaning.
    Last edited by treosensei; 12/30/2003 at 10:26 PM.

you are correct, it may be the best available. i have not used the samsung i500 which seems to have some nice features and a solid build. Regardless, an improved 600 model is needed to reach ultimate status.
    Oh, I didn't realize you were talking about ultimate status. Compared with everything else that's out there, this is the best. But for ultimate status we will have to wait a couple more revs.

Who knows? It might not even be palm that comes out with the ultimate smartphone, though I personally would be hard pressed to abandon my investment in software and familiarity with the platform for something else.

-Ewok out
    Greetings MobileDave:

"-- Basic hardware problems are surfacing;"

I've only had my Treo 600 (1st Treo, 3rd Palm type device) for two weeks; no problems. Yes, I know that is extremely too early to tell.

"-- Sprint is getting better but still really doesn't get data (read SMS);"

I guess because I've been in the Internet industry on the business and technical side since the early years to not be bothered by SMS.

Keypoint Systems did an industry study on SMS.

Would you care to get on an airplane that crashed or got lost 30% of time time?

Seriously, while I'm eager to see SMS, and hope it improves, I think it is over rated given the data loss.

"-- Users have to struggle with core software."

Again, two weeks is extremely too early to tell, but no struggles yet.

I did have two days of major frustration with Sprint when I got the phone; but once I got a hold of a good support rep in wireless, I was set.

Thank you.
    =====================
    Peter M. Abraham
    Dynamic Net, Inc.
    http://www.dynamicnet.net/
    The ONLY real weakness of the T600 is the 160x160x12bit screen. However, that is definitely NOT a fatal flaw.

The camera is as USEFUL AS HELL! I use it to take pictures of book pages in the library (as opposed to paying for photocopies). I also use it to take pictures of sketches and design diagrams I make on paper, attaching them to emails I send to clients.

Many problems with the camera (fixed focus, low quality, poor light response) can be solved through SOFTWARE. An improved imaging application can sharpen and clear up images, as well as adjust color. Including a simple camera was a VERY WISE CHOICE.

If I had to choose between a 320x320x16bit screen and double battery life, I'd choose the battery life. The compromise between PDA and phone requires 2 days of usage. PDA phones that need to be recharged every day or 0.75 days are failing on the phone end of the equation.

If I had to choose between built-in bluetooth/Wi Fi and a built-in camera, I'd choose the camera. Although either can be added with an SD card (hopefully soon), the built in Wi Fi is not as critical in a cell phone. The consumer friendly camera functionality makes more sense in a phone and will help to push units (e.g. improve sales). Cell phone cameras (and emailed pictures) are great "visible" indicators of the utility of the device. e.g. "That dang camera thar takes real good pictures Ma! Look how many eyeballs that thar fishy has on it!"

The only improvements I can imagine in the near-term for Treo 600?

- Better camera software
    - Low rez video capability
    - Wi Fi SD card
    - J2ME / MIDP 2.0 / JSR 184 support

Obvious improvements for the Treo 700?

- 320x320 screen
    - Better camera hardware 1 megapixel
    - Wi Fi built in
    - 2D/3D graphics acceleration hardware (Tapwave Helix 'lite')
    - And this: http://www.canesta.com/products.htm

And BTW! Hi to all (first forum post!)
    "I see dead pixels..."
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Well, since everyone else is sharing their love of the T600, so will I

I've had Blackberry, Kyocera 6035, Treo 270 and I bit the bullet and got a Cingular Treo for my T-Mobile account (got two, sold the other 600 and my 270 on ebay a couple of weeks ago and came out way ahead <g>).

This is by FAR the best phone I've ever had - and the best PDA. Together they are unbeatable. Never having had a better color screen on a PDA/phone than this I'm happy. Never having had WiFi or Bluetooth on a phone, I don't miss it. Never having had a camera in my phone before, I think it's peachy.

We all have things we "wish" the T600 would do. I have things I wish my laptop would do - and it's about as top of the line as it gets. But I'm quite happy with this one, and am soooooooooo glad I didn't wait around when I had the chance to grab a Cingular model.

Danita
    As I was trying to also get across in this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...43735/s/h.html

The 600 is the best device available to us right now. As soon as a device with B/T, WiFi, 1 Megapixel camera, 320x320 comes out you'll want:

GreenTeeth wireless -- Firewire speeds up to 500' away.

WiFiddletyFi -- 1Gbit wireless available nationwide

8 megapixel camera, with 640X480 30fps movies

1024x768 resolution (eek, you'll need a magnifier to view it!??!)

i.e. IT NEVER ENDS -- we will always want more! So, in the mean time while you are waiting (and waiting), your fun and productivity suffers because you don't have the best thing on the market!

Anyway, I'm still having fun with this thing and look forward to at least a year more of it
    I wish I didn't wait for T-Mobile's version but now that some are starting to surface on the Corp Accounts I'll have one as soon as they show publicly.

I agree that there is still improvement to be made in the Treo line but this is by far the best smart phone on the market with PalmOS. Would I love to see Wi-Fi/Bluetooth of course but does it need to be integrated, not really. SDIO will handle that and I've got to believe that SOMEBODY is developing a Bluetooth card for this. But like Danita said, I've never had a Bluetooth phone so I wouldn't miss it at first. I've never had a camera phone so I don't know how much I'll use it (I didn't use the Eyemodule on my Visor as much as I thought). Personally I'd love to see a stronger InfraRed port (mostly for an extra remote control) but I'm not gonna dismiss this device for what it does have and that's a solid foundation of features.

I love my TiVo but there's things that it can improve on. The Pioneer DVR-810H hits some of the biggest improvements I was looking for and now I have to justify whether it's worth the upgrade. Just like I did when the TiVo Series 2 came out or when I upgraded from a Visor Prism with Blackberry Pager to a Treo 270.

That's the life of a good line of consumer gadget/products!

The point is there are always things you would love to see in a product but that won't stop me from buying it unless another product out there already has everything. They'll eventually get all the features people want in but how long down the road will that be and can you miss a version in the middle. For the Treo 600 my vote is that I can't miss it. Jumping from MS Office XP to Office 2003 I can miss!

Regards,
    Mark
    I went from:

Visor Platinum
    Visor Prism
    + Digital Link
    Treo 300
    Treo 600

The T3 to T6 leap was by far the biggest. The stability alone of OS5 was worth the upgrade. I almost held out because of the low res, low color screen, but I am so glad I didn't! I liked my T3, but it lost Vision signals all the time so using the internet on it was not fun. The T6 is the best phone I've ever used, and the best PDA I've ever had. That doesn't mean it doesn't have some important shortcomings, but they aren't really things I need, just goodies I'd like to have. As for the screen, it doesn't bother me much that it's not better because it's so bright. For me the $200 cost for the T6 after ebaying my T3 was probably the best $200 I've ever spent on a computer or gadget.
    This thread inadvertantly serves to voice and reiterate the resounding echos of majority satisfaction and admiration for the Treo. If I wasn't married already -- well I just Love my Treo!

It has simplified my life and taken my techability to a new and higher level! I'm looking forward to better things ahead for the Treo whenever that happens. I also think this model raised the bar for other manufacturers which improves the selection process for shoppers. True it's not perfect, and no product (no matter how great it is, is for everyone). I believe the typical Treo owner is an educated informed buyer so there should have been no big surprises for those who purchased this phone such as picture quality and lack of this and that because we did the research, weighed the good and the bad.

My Treo is still amazing me to this day. Yesterday I was fiddling around with it and managed to turn off the system beeps. If I embrassed easily I wouldn't tell you that I had thought they were mandatory. -LOL

-Silence is truly golden
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 12/31/2003 at 06:23 PM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    The improvement I'd like to see, before we start attacking an incredible device like the Treo 600, is some magic whereby the title of threads in TreoCentral would change to reflect the majority of opinions posted to the dang thread, instead of constantly being stuck with whatever title the thread creator chose.

Until then, it might be a good idea to consider this practice: if you want to take issue with a thread which contains an "over the top" title, resist the urge to add to it, thus keeping that thread title bobbing to the top. Instead, create a thread with an opposing title, and let those who agree post to their chosen thread.

I don't know about you, but I'm sick of seeing this thread title bounce to the top, not as the result of people who agree, but because of people who actually disagree with it! Remember, some folks only read the titles of the threads!

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    I've used disposable camera's that take much better pics then the 600. Perhaps in a controlled enviroment you can get away with decent shots, but if you desire the spontaneous ability of camera shots forget it. It stinks.

A voice recorder should have been included. It would have made much greater sense for those who use the 600 for a business tool. It would have appealed to a far greater audience as well.

My bet is that the next version will have a recorder, better speakers, no rattles, solved the cookie problems, blue tooth, 320 x 320 screen and a canned media player. By then maybe even sprints sms will be available.
    My bet is that the next version will have a recorder, better speakers, no rattles, solved the cookie problems, blue tooth, 320 x 320 screen and a canned media player. By then maybe even sprints sms will be available.
    JTREOB:

I think all of those features (sans the screen upgrade) could be achieved for Treo 600 through software updates and a Wi Fi SD card.

---

Say, let's transfer all this constructive Treo discussion to another thread... ;-)
    "I see dead pixels..."
    People will never be satisfied. If the Treo had Bluetooth, WiFi, and a 2MP camera and a 320x320 screen and still maintained 4-5 hrs battery life people would still be complaining.

I've had 3 Treos. 3 Treo 600s that is. All since October. i'm not proud of that and it makes me wonder about quality control, but the Treo has brought a whole new level of mobility and useability to my life. If this one fails for whatever reason, I'll prolly get another one (though I'll seriously consider going back to two devices).. After having this as my 1st smartphone it'll be hard to go to anything else.

I'm actually surprised I like the 600. I had a 300 for 2 days and I hated it. It was slow, the screen wasn't impressive, and I felt like I was giving up waaaay too much from my cell phone and PDA at the time. I never kept up with smartphones until the 600 came out, and now I doubt i'll ever use anything else.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast