Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hello,
    Can I use my handheld magellan gps reciever with the treo? It can hook up to my laptop via a serial adapter.
    What cable would I need?
    Thanks,
    Mark
    I'm currently waiting on my iTrek GPS receiver from semsons.

I've also installed the Mapopolis Navigator S/W, which, according to the documentation, supports voice routing and automatic rerouting. I can attest to the voice routing functionality, having tested it, but I won't be able to verify the auto-rerouting until my receiver arrives.

Fikse:
    As to your point about ones inability to adjust the volume of the Mapopolis voice prompts, my remedy was to pipe the voice audio to my iRock FM transmiter, which transmits the voice prompts through my car stereo system, thus allowing me volume control. I simply plug in the iRock into my Treo's headphone jack. Pretty simple and satisfying arrangement IMHO.

Cheers!
    I'm currently waiting on my iTrek GPS receiver from semsons.

I've also installed the Mapopolis Navigator S/W, which, according to the documentation, supports voice routing and automatic rerouting. I can attest to the voice routing functionality, having tested it, but I won't be able to verify the auto-rerouting until my receiver arrives.

Fikse:
    As to your point about ones inability to adjust the volume of the Mapopolis voice prompts, my remedy was to pipe the voice audio to my iRock FM transmiter, which transmits the voice prompts through my car stereo system, thus allowing me volume control. I simply plug in the iRock into my Treo's headphone jack. Pretty simple and satisfying arrangement IMHO.

Cheers!
  4.    #24  
    Any thoughts on this one?
    http://www.mobileplanet.com/private/...1446&listing=1

Seems to me I can get mapopolis for about $90.00 and a GPS receiver for around $100.00 saving about $60.00 if I put the two together myself.

-SD
    aolumide,

great idea, I'll just use the treo headphone adapter and plug it into where my ipod connects into my car stereo.....

too bad we can't use the GPS antenna without the power adapter plugged into the cigarette lighter....
    Hi all, I just spoke to igolf again today. the drivers for the igolf unit and palm os including the treo 600 are complete. They have already been sent off to mapopoplis who needs to do some minor re-writing and they will then ship the units. Total time should be in about 3 weeks from today. I spoke to them about 2:45 pm est on 12/29/2003
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Originally posted by ilovedessert
    Hi all, I just spoke to igolf again today. the drivers for the igolf unit and palm os including the treo 600 are complete. They have already been sent off to mapopoplis who needs to do some minor re-writing and they will then ship the units. Total time should be in about 3 weeks from today. I spoke to them about 2:45 pm est on 12/29/2003
    Sweet. Then I'm going to wait for the igolf. Being able to go mobile with the gps and not be tied to my car is going to rock. Has there ever been any commentary on the possibility of Pharos releasing a palm driver for their GPS SD card which currently only works in pocketpc? The next killer combo will be to integrate GPS with our data connections so we can get real time traffic reports based on our current location which is what Pharos provides their PocketPC customers...

http://www.pharosgps.com/products/se...arttraffic.htm
    unless you plan on putting the treo with the igolf far up on your dashboard, it might not even work in the car.....
    I know someone with a gps for pocketpc that works in their office and they don't even have a window. What's up with that? Granted the signal is quite weak though.
    I'm thinking about getting a 600 with service from Sprint.

On their page http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/Ph...tSkuId=treo600
    they claim the following feature:

"Features an embedded Global Positioning System (GPS) chip necessary for utilizing the E911 emergency location services where available."

So, is this a new addition to the 600? Is there a way for regular software to access the GPS information from the embedded chip? (I was surprised when I came here and saw everyone talking about external GPS devices.)
    Originally posted by jhazen
    I'm thinking about getting a 600 with service from Sprint.

On their page http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/Ph...tSkuId=treo600
    they claim the following feature:

"Features an embedded Global Positioning System (GPS) chip necessary for utilizing the E911 emergency location services where available."

So, is this a new addition to the 600? Is there a way for regular software to access the GPS information from the embedded chip? (I was surprised when I came here and saw everyone talking about external GPS devices.)

As I understand it, this is not Satellite based GPS, but rather marketing speak for the new location based services that cell companies are trying to roll out in compliance with the FCC...

http://www.fcc.gov/911/enhanced/

Based on that FCC page it's only accurate to within 50-100 meters. Satellite based GPS is accurate to within 7 meters 95% of the time. Does anyone know if software installed on our devices be able to access the signal and retrieve our location and give us location based information or will the location only be accessible to the cell company and 911 services?

Regardless of those answers, satellite based GPS is going to be the only way to go for a while AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $thus$ $the$ $need$ $for$ $an$ $external$ $receiver$.
    So, I take it that since iGolf/mapopolis is creating a version that will work for the T600, the SD receiver will actually fit in the slot? Has anyone actually verified that with them?

Don
    dear don, yes it does fit in the sd slot of the treo 600. I have spoken to them about a dozen times about this issue and it will fit in. I was surprised by the orginal posters comments that the igolf unit will look bulky, to me it seems the slimest easest to set up and no cables. what is bulky about it? take care, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Thanks for the info... what kind of range will it have? Will it work in the car or only outside in the golf course? Or will it possibly have an external antenna?
  15. AJB
    Originally posted by rwilson290
    As I understand it, this is not Satellite based GPS, but rather marketing speak for the new location based services that cell companies are trying to roll out in compliance with the FCC...

http://www.fcc.gov/911/enhanced/

Based on that FCC page it's only accurate to within 50-100 meters. Satellite based GPS is accurate to within 7 meters 95% of the time. Does anyone know if software installed on our devices be able to access the signal and retrieve our location and give us location based information or will the location only be accessible to the cell company and 911 services?

Regardless of those answers, satellite based GPS is going to be the only way to go for a while AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $thus$ $the$ $need$ $for$ $an$ $external$ $receiver$.
    Close, but no cigar. We make an E911 mobile location centre for carriers. There are non-satellite solutions, because not all phones have GPS, but the "chip" in the treo 600 is indeed for satellite GPS. The catch is, it is only half the solution.

The treo 600 has what's called an "assisted" GPS chip. I have described this in detail in this thread

The long and the short of it is that the phone, without the network can't give you a location. Half the solution is in the phone, and half in the network (that way they can sell you your location).

As far as software accessing the built in GPS, there are no useful APIs on the treo for accessing the AGPS information, only for accessing the network provided info.

AJB
    Q: How do you make God laugh?
    A: Tell Him your plans :-)
    Thanks. In that thread someone mentions a phone they used to have that could access the lat and long of the nearest cell towers. Can the Treo do this? (obviously not good enough for a mapping applications, but could be used for other apps)
    Originally posted by ilovedessert
    Jay,

Pls let us know as soon as you finally recieve the iGolf. I read your post months ago when you ordered it, and have been waiting ever since. The mouse solution doesn't work for me. Like you, I need the SD solution. BTW, do you know if one can talk on the phone while using the iGolf GPS? Of course the GPS voice prompts would be temporarily suppressed.

HRB
    Dear HRB,

Hi, they tell me it should be here about the 3rd week in jan of 2004. I stress 2004 b/c I joked with them when they said jan. and I said what year!

I will post here as soon as it arrives and then shortly there after, once I gert to check it out a little.

I never thought to ask if you can use the phone, while using the gps system. Good ?

happy new year one and all take care, jay
    Originally posted by rbrar

Jay,

Pls let us know as soon as you finally recieve the iGolf. I read your post months ago when you ordered it, and have been waiting ever since. The mouse solution doesn't work for me. Like you, I need the SD solution. BTW, do you know if one can talk on the phone while using the iGolf GPS? Of course the GPS voice prompts would be temporarily suppressed.

HRB
    I did once receive a phone call while listening to an audible book and the audible reader kept reading so I would like to think the default in the devices is to keep running unless they specifically code to it silence or stop when a call comes in.

I prefer voice prompts not be suppressed during a call, or giving an option to mute them lest you make a wrong turn during a call. Getting lost would would only serve to screw the quality of the conversation up. Granted an option to mute voice prompts would be nice, if for example one were talking to a prospective employer for a phone interview.
    I get lost so easliy I could get lost in my own house and not b/c it's a big house! therefore, I do hope there are options like keeping on or turning off voice promts while using phone. I also like to talk on the phone a lot, so I hope they both can interact well! take care, jay
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast