1.    #1  
    After seeing how concerned Sprint appeared to be regarding the use of Bluetooth phones on their network, I'm beginning to doubt a new Bluetooth Treo will happen any time soon.

"Unlimited" data on a Treo 600 really is limited and in any event even the most hardcore of users probably wouldn't routinely go over 100 MB/month with strictly phone-based usage. (Treo-as-modem is another story.)

Right now Sprint hits people wanting wireless (non-Vision) data for laptops with a pretty high charge. Savvy Treo owners can bypass this and use their Treo 600 as a modem using one of three (actually two) options. It's likely that only a very small number of Treo 600 users now do this routinely - probably less than 1%. But add Bluetooth and watch those numbers soar, bandwidth drop and Sprint's revenues decrease. Why give away something when you can sell it?

Based on how grudgingly Sprint brought out their first Bluetooth CDMA phone (the slick little 3.5 oz Sony Ericsson T608 that was limited to around 10,000 copies) I wonder if their fear of Bluetooth is what actually forced Handspring to ditch Bluetooth in the Treo 600's final revision. And as long as Sprint is Handspring/Palm's most important partner, they'll probably continue to have a big say in what hardware is included. Videocam for videoconferencing would make sense from a financial point of view once the network can handle it, but accomodating Bluetooth right now is probably not high on Sprint's "To do" list.

$15 - $20/month for "unlimited" data appears to be what the market will bear, so don't expect carriers to try to recoup losses by bumping up this fee. So what will Sprint do? Probably maintain the status quo for a least a year. And since a Bluetooth GSM version would make a non-Bluetooth CDMA version look bad, AT&T, Cingular and T-Mobile customers are likely also "S.O.L.".

By the way, once those T608 are all sold (probably by next week?), we likely won't see another Bluetooth Sprint phone for at least a year. If you've got some extra Christmas cash around and want to make some money, buy a couple of these phones - you'll be able to double your investment selling them on eBay in a month...

Sony Ericsson T608
    Last edited by The Chupacabra; 12/28/2003 at 11:39 AM.
  2.    #2  
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra
    Videocam for videoconferencing would make sense from a financial point of view once the network can handle it, but accomodating Bluetooth right now is probably not high on Sprint's "To do" list.
    For those wondering about videoconferencing on cell phones, it will probably become the next "killer app" similar to email and the Internet. Sony Ericsson (and others) already have the first wave of these videophones ready to strike. Once networks are upgraded to handle video, carriers will probably use this as a major revenue source and will not care too much about policing Bluetooth data transfers. (But then VoIP will become the carriers' new headache...)

The future is now
  3.    #3  
    Based on how grudgingly Sprint brought out their first Bluetooth CDMA phone (the slick little 3.5 oz Sony Ericsson T608 that was limited to around 10,000 copies)

By the way, once those T608 are all sold (probably by next week?), we likely won't see another Bluetooth Sprint phone for at least a year. If you've got some extra Christmas cash around and want to make some money, buy a couple of these phones - you'll be able to double your investment selling them on eBay in a month...

Sony Ericsson T608

For anyone considering the Sony Ericsson T608, this web site has some good info:

Sony Ericsson info site
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by The Chupacabra
    [B]"Unlimited" data on a Treo 600 really is limited and in any event even the most hardcore of users probably wouldn't routinely go over 100 MB/month with strictly phone-based usage. (Treo-as-modem is another story.)
    [/SIZE]

Dunno about that. I downloaded three .mp3s from my home computer via VFSFTP to play for a friend today and used up 20 megs in the space of about 15 minutes. I also use PdaNet on my machine and seldom have a session that uses more than a meg or two...
  5.    #5  
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by polscphd2b
    [B]
    "Unlimited" data on a Treo 600 really is limited and in any event even the most hardcore of users probably wouldn't routinely go over 100 MB/month with strictly phone-based usage. (Treo-as-modem is another story.)
    [/SIZE]

Dunno about that. I downloaded three .mp3s from my home computer via VFSFTP to play for a friend today and used up 20 megs in the space of about 15 minutes. I also use PdaNet on my machine and seldom have a session that uses more than a meg or two...

When I say, "strictly phone-based usage", downloading MP3s and using PDANet (i.e. "Treo-as-modem") doesn't count. Anyone could go over 100 MB in a day or two if they downloaded a bunch of MP3 or other files using their Treo 600. The type of usage I mean is routine email, browsing the Internet and occasional downloading. 100 MB/month is around 3 MB/day of data - probably enough for one or two hours a day of Internet use.
  6.    #6  
    Well Sprint sold its 5000 or so Bluetooth-enabled Sony Ericsson T608 in a week. One week. Without any advertising. Without telling their sales department the phones were available. Say goodbye to Bluetooth on Sprint if you don't have one of these mini-phones.
    I know that "unlimited" is a word that the marketing department loves, but how about having a 2 tier system?

Since they're going after people that use more than 1GB per month, they could have the $15 plan for people that use less than 1GB per month.

For people that use more than 1GB, they could charge a higher price. Then they could advertise being able to use the service with laptops.

I think they'll be forced to do this, or something, once other carriers offer bluetooth Treos.

BTW, Sprint charges $100/month for 300MB for PCS Vision for Laptops!

Which reminds me... does AT&T include laptop use in their $79.99 unlimited plan? It's still high, but it makes sense to me if it does.
    Last edited by thppfft; 01/06/2004 at 04:31 AM.
    I have the world in my Palm
  8.    #8  
    Sprint just got another 400 Sony Ericsson T608 phones on Friday. They had around 200 this morning.