1.    #1  
    I thought the Treo 600 had built-in java....how else could it access the sprint mobile stuff....(i.e the downloads, messaging, etc.)

If i don't have java on my phone, then add java, does that mean i can play yahoo pool with my phone????
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    I think that is JavaScript...not Java
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
  3.    #3  
    no, there were javascript browsers for the 300 too but it still could not access PCS Vision, etc. PCS Vision runs on Java not JavaScript. The Treo 600 can already access PCS Vision, hence it already has java support, in a logical aspect.
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    The treo 600 does not have java. PCS vision is a web site that is available only to people on the Sprint network as far as I can tell.
    This is my understnading also.

Treo 600 does not have Java when it ships. However, Java is being developped for Treo 600 and a beta version is already available (for free).

D.
    Dominique
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600
    I thought the Treo 600 had built-in java....how else could it access the sprint mobile stuff....(i.e the downloads, messaging, etc.)

If i don't have java on my phone, then add java, does that mean i can play yahoo pool with my phone????
    There are 3 ways "Java" is being used here.

On the Desktop you have "javascript" and "java". Javascript is obviously inside the browser, and "java" is used for both applets (yahoo pool) and standalone applications.

Things are different on the Treo. You still have javascript but you don't have the full-blown java you find on the desktop.

Further, while a form of Java is being developed for the Treo it is NOT the full blown version you find on the desktop. Thus it will not run Java appletts in browser the same way your desktop will.

Clear as mud?
    Hello,

Based on this explanation of Java on a Treo 600 vs. on a Desktop then, what advantages or applications will we be able to run once Java for the Treo 600 is available and installed?

Thanks,

Adaboy1
    adaboy1
    Originally posted by dbouchon
    This is my understnading also.

Treo 600 does not have Java when it ships. However, Java is being developped for Treo 600 and a beta version is already available (for free).

D.
    WHERE ???
    > WHERE ???

Might want to check the frontpage article about it...
    Originally posted by Mahootzki

WHERE ???
    Also, read this thread...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by adaboy1
    Hello,

Based on this explanation of Java on a Treo 600 vs. on a Desktop then, what advantages or applications will we be able to run once Java for the Treo 600 is available and installed?

Thanks,

Adaboy1
    I forget the exact term, it's something like "Java2 MIDP" or some such.

In simplest of terms, Java consists of
    1) Core language
    2) Compiler
    3) Platform specific interpreter
    4) Core assemblies

It's item 4 above that is where the "guts" of Java's capabilities exist. The "MIDP" version of Java2 has a different set of assemblies than the desktop/server version.

Palm will have to further extend the MIDP assemblies to tap into local databases etc.

All the cellphones that advertise game capabilities or other software are running Java2 MIDP. So IF the cross-platform claims of Java hold out we should be able to run those apps on the Treo 600 after bying a license for the Java2 runtime.

I say "IF" because no language is truely cross-platform. (Remember BASIC, COBOL, C, C+, and C++; they were all initially "cross-platform")