1.    #1  
    Hi,

is there a task manager (like Windows') for Treo 600, to see what programs are currently running and to stop the ones we are not using to free memory (many programs do not have an 'exit' or 'quit' options, so I assume they keep using memory even if we do not need / use them, right?)

Also, these may help spot memory leaks ... BTW: any known memory leak issues?

Thanks

D.
    Dominique
    I'd love ananswer to this also..
    I am used to an IPAQ which left everything running in the background
    Quote Originally Posted by dbouchon
    Hi,

is there a task manager (like Windows') for Treo 600, to see what programs are currently running and to stop the ones we are not using to free memory (many programs do not have an 'exit' or 'quit' options, so I assume they keep using memory even if we do not need / use them, right?)

D.
    I don't exactly know the procedure but PalmOS does not leave programs running when you exit it. It varies from program to program. If you have an alarm set in calendar for example, all it does is make a little event to happen in the system, but the whole Calendar/To Do programs etc. are not running. In the case of Documents to Go, it'll save a little current state file saying which file you have open, at which position, note any changes you make into that document, and then close the whole program. When you open DTG again, it'll look into that current state file, put it back into memory, and you'll continue right where you left off. With the case of Pocket Tunes, if you're playing an MP3, it will leave the codec and small events required to keep the audio going, but the unnecessary things are taken out of memory. If the player is completely stopped, it'll make a current state file just like DTG and close the whole program altogether. Most programs who require a current state file will save it so that it can wipe everything from the memory until it needs to run again. When PalmOS Cobalt comes out, it'll make these aspects much better than the existing PalmOS, making it much more efficient than Microsoft Pocket PC.

While PalmOS can do light multitasking already, the developer has to develop their own multitasking code. PalmOS Cobalt will make it much easier for developers to make little background applets, such as e-mail checking (already available on VersaMail etc.), or say you want to download a web page, but it might take 20 seconds, so you go to another program, while all unnecessary things except the web page downloading procedure is wiped out of memory. While you're doing your thing, a little alert will notify you that the page is ready to view anytime you're ready. When you're done doing the other task, just tap on that alert and everything will load back into memory complete with the download webpage and you're on your way.

That's probably more info than you needed, but now you know how efficient your Treo 600 and all future Treos are, as well as all the other PalmOS PDAs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Nguyen
    I don't exactly know the procedure but PalmOS does not leave programs running when you exit it. It varies from program to program. If you have an alarm set in calendar for example, all it does is make a little event to happen in the system, but the whole Calendar/To Do programs etc. are not running. In the case of Documents to Go, it'll save a little current state file saying which file you have open, at which position, note any changes you make into that document, and then close the whole program. When you open DTG again, it'll look into that current state file, put it back into memory, and you'll continue right where you left off. With the case of Pocket Tunes, if you're playing an MP3, it will leave the codec and small events required to keep the audio going, but the unnecessary things are taken out of memory. If the player is completely stopped, it'll make a current state file just like DTG and close the whole program altogether. Most programs who require a current state file will save it so that it can wipe everything from the memory until it needs to run again. When PalmOS Cobalt comes out, it'll make these aspects much better than the existing PalmOS, making it much more efficient than Microsoft Pocket PC.

While PalmOS can do light multitasking already, the developer has to develop their own multitasking code. PalmOS Cobalt will make it much easier for developers to make little background applets, such as e-mail checking (already available on VersaMail etc.), or say you want to download a web page, but it might take 20 seconds, so you go to another program, while all unnecessary things except the web page downloading procedure is wiped out of memory. While you're doing your thing, a little alert will notify you that the page is ready to view anytime you're ready. When you're done doing the other task, just tap on that alert and everything will load back into memory complete with the download webpage and you're on your way.

That's probably more info than you needed, but now you know how efficient your Treo 600 and all future Treos are, as well as all the other PalmOS PDAs.
    Thank You!!! That was an awesome answer....
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Nguyen

Is there an application that will actually wipe the memory clean after you leave an app? Seems that the longer I use my Treo the more unstable it gets and I need to do a soft boot.. Especially PTunes this pig always seems to stay running and looks like the cause of some of my instability......

Be nice to just have a little app to do what a reset does with the stylus....