1.    #1  
    Does anyone know of a text editor for the Treo 600 that uses convenient 5-way key navigation? If so, please post here.

I (and I think other people) want to edit lengthy notes quickly, navigating with the 5-way. Although Microsoft Word compatibility would be nice, I think good 5-way navigation is more important for good editing (I don't want to use a stylus!). I'd be satisfied with a Palm doc file or a text file format. One simple font would be enough for me (although others might disagree!); but it would be nice if I could choose different font sizes. Even the exclusion of bold and underlining would be OK (again, others may disagree).

I'm posting this because I've seen many complaints of poor 5-way navigation in mainstream Palm word processors like WordSmith (I've found no navigation documentation and haven't downloaded).

If my understanding of poor navigation is incorrect, could somebody be more explicit about which of the below functions WordSmith (or another text editor) does or does not do?

NOTE: I know NOTHING of Treo combination keys that will work with the 5-way, so I've made up key combinations below to give an idea of what I've been looking for. This is somewhat like basic navigation and text selection in Microsoft Windows, that uses the Ctrl key and Shift key in combination with arrow keys.

Thus, in my first example below, you hold the Option Key while tapping the right-side of the 5-way button to move one word at a time to the right:

Text Editing Function......Conceptual Key Combination

move one word to right...Option+5-way-right
    move one word to left.....Option+5-way-left

move one screen up.......Option+5-way-up
    move one screen down...Option+5-way-down

select text right [for
    cut, copy, or paste[:......Option+Shift+5-way-right
    ..................................[selects one word at a time]

select text left [for
    cut, copy, or paste]:......Option+Shift+5-way-left
    ...................................[selects one word at a time]

cut, copy, or paste........use existing menu x, menu c,
    ..................................menu p

It would be nice to go to end of or beginning of a line (rather than just word by word) but I'm not sure this is really needed given short line length available on a Treo 600 and the scarcity of other simultaneous key combinations that might be used.

Existing operations of backspace and return keys would continue as now.

Existing operations of the 5-way with no other simultaneous key depressions would continue as now i.e.:
    5-way left = one character left
    5-way right = one character right
    5-way up = one line up
    5-way down = one line down

Thanks for letting me know of any Treo 600 programs that use the 5-way somewhat like above.

If there are no such programs, would someone consider writing one? I'd pay a reasonable price for such a program.
    For Wordsmith --

In the document list:
    R/L do nothing
    Up/Down page up and down
    center key does nothing

In an individual document:
    R/L go to end/beginning of line
    Up/Down page up and down
    center key does nothing.

No way, as far as I can tell, to move one character at a time or one line at a time.

David
    At the moment no WP app supports the Treo's 5-way nav. Blue Nomad (WordSmith) is hopeless. Dataviz (DocToGo) is planning an update, but I am skeptical.
  4.    #4  
    Thank you all for the information.

Maybe I should e-mail DataViz and Blue Nomad with some suggestions?
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Originally posted by FuturePerfect

Please send your ideas on to Dataviz and others... I have begun emailing other developers about similar suggestions.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    Originally posted by FuturePerfect

give dataviz your 2 cents here.

bluenomad seems to be lost, do they know about color devices?

i deleted wordsmith a long time ago. ashame really. I put my hope on Dataviz.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  7.    #7  
    Felipe:

Thanks for linking to the DataViz feedback page.

I posted there and via an e-mail to support@bluenomad.com which Blue Nomad lists as the place to send suggestions.

Hopefully someone is listening.
    I would be happy if Memopad supported the 5-way better. I like to scroll through my notes but when you press down it just goes to the "down" button.
    I received this from Booby Genest at Blue Nomad Support:
    Hello,

Thanks for your message. WordSmith supports the Treo600 device.
    The latest version of WordSmith
    is available from our website:
    http://www.bluenomad.com/ws/prod_wor..._download.html

I have not tested it exstensively, but it seems to support the 5-way.
    Wordsmith has minimal support, essentially you page up and down, that's it. No ability to select in the document list screens and no (real) ability to move the cursor.
    PsMemo, a freeware memopad replacement, version (0.6.3) now supports the 5-way navigation keys. See thread on details. http://treo.discussion.treocentral.c...ad.php?t=52006
    Quote Originally Posted by neotope
    I would be happy if Memopad supported the 5-way better. I like to scroll through my notes but when you press down it just goes to the "down" button.
    You might want to check out PsMemo. It's a BIG improvement over MemoPad.
    See this thread: PsMemo now supports the Treo 600

Edit: OOPS! Tiger Beer beat me to it!
    This is the latest note I wrote to Bobby Genest at Blue Nomad and his response. It is somewhat encouraging:

> Thanks again for the reply. The point I am trying to make is that you have
    > customers who love your product. But is is not keeping pace with the
    > advances in hardware. We would love to maintain our loyalty, but we have
    > not seen any real commitment in print that you are going to provide the
    > proper support for advances devices and operating systems.
    >
    > Many people are like me, using a Treo to replace many functions the we used a PC for in the past; e-mail, short memos and reports and editing attached documents and downloaded files. It is your choice how you want to approach
    > this, but your customers seem to be losing patince and turning to other
    > products. Go onto <http://discussion.treocentral.com> and search for
    > Wordsmith. You'll see what you may already know: that people love the
    > product but are disappointed with its development.

WordSmith development has been on the back burner for awhile.. since
    we have been directing all resources towards the newly released BackupBuddy 2. Now that that is out, hopefully WS will get some updates.

Sincerely,
    Bobby Genest
    Blue Nomad Sales & Support

--------------------------
    >
    >
    >