Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if it's possible to connect an external antenna and/or amplifier to the Treo 600. I use mine on my boat and have a signal amplifier and external marine antenna on attached to a Verizon Air Card. I'd love to be able to use the same thing on my Sprint Treo 600.
    I own the antenna, I just need to find the adapter to fit the back. Numerous queries to both Pa1mone and Wilson's Electronics (AWESOME web supplier of external cell antennae) have turned up nothing. Let me know if you find one.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I am also looking for the antenna adapter cable for the T600 for an external antenna I have.

DrDoom, which antenna do you have? I have one by Global Wireless accessories called the megaboost

http://www.globalwirelessaccessories.com/GWA_P8.htm
    Just an older glass mount model that Sprint used to sell. A friend of mine is an RF engineer for Sprint and he gave it to me. He said it works the best.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Originally posted by DrDoom
    Just an older glass mount model that Sprint used to sell. A friend of mine is an RF engineer for Sprint and he gave it to me. He said it works the best.
    What's it look like? Is it capacitively coupled through the glass? Any spec on gain in db? And why does it work best?

I am going to try to make a connector to fit the Treo 600 antenna connector out of brass or copper and teflon for the dielectric. I have an Emco Compact 5 lathe that I'll try to make it in. I'll use an adapter cable for another phone and cut the connector off and replace it with the connector that I will make. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Originally posted by newtreouser

What's it look like? Is it capacitively coupled through the glass? Any spec on gain in db? And why does it work best?

I am going to try to make a connector to fit the Treo 600 antenna connector out of brass or copper and teflon for the dielectric. I have an Emco Compact 5 lathe that I'll try to make it in. I'll use an adapter cable for another phone and cut the connector off and replace it with the connector that I will make. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    There are many of us, including myself, who are interested in solving this mystery.

I am interested in finding a good solution to this problem as my Treo 600 gets very poor reception inside my apartment, and I've spent quite a bit of time trying to track down a solution, but haven't yet:

I found this snap-in inductive connector and holder at:

http://www.cellularking.com/Merchant...ry_Code=HIRSCH

and thought that even though the antenna that comes with it looks small, I could always get a larger antenna if that one didn't help, but in asking around, I got this response from another antenna source:

"The jaws do not open wide enough for any PDA style phone. Even then,
    induction is far less effective."

s/Cellproguy@CellularAccessory.com
    Terry Usrey, Vice President

Then I got encouragement from this website:

http://www.alternativewireless.com/c...amplifier.html

which implied that finding a "phone antenna adapter" to connect the Treo 600 to would be no big deal, but searching further found none which they said would fit the Treo.

I also found this device that says it works with all SprintPCS phones but it doesn't say how:

http://www.cellphonesolutions.com/homelink.html

Also, the PalmOne/Handspring website itself at:

http://support.handspring.com/esupport/html/carkit.jsp

refers to a car kit with antenna, which I assume could be adapted to in-home use, as follows:

"For Treo Car Kit installation, directory of installers, product support and technical support, please contact THB United States or THB Europe:

United States: 1-800-232-3816
    Europe: 00800-842-468-5463

Compatibility
    The installation car kit is compatible with Treo 600 for AT&T, Cingular, Orange, T-Mobile and other GSM/GPRS networks worldwide.

Not yet compatible with Treo 600 for Sprint PCS. (Expected availability April 2004)"

This might be a solution, if you are willing to wait until April 2004 or whatever later date that gets pushed back to. I'd rather not!

There is also an interesting discussion on this subject on the Howard Forums, but since I can't get to their website right now, here is the one Google cached:

(copy and paste in your browser:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:S...ng_en&ie=UTF-8

And if I pull out the rubber stopper on the right top of the back of my Treo, there is indeed what looks like a brass port which could receive a connector, but who knows whether it is wired or just mounted there for a future model?

Last but not least, there is another thread right here on TreoCentral which adds some additional ideas and mystery to the whole subject, at:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...hlight=antenna

I wish we could all put our heads together and come up with a solution that works! At the very least, it would seem that, there ought to be a way to have an adapter of sorts slip over the built-in antenna stub and work inductively, although I agree that a wired connection would produce a better result!

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    Two pieces of information to add to the discussion:

1) Wilson Electronics: www.wilsonelectronics.com has adapters for almost every other Sprint phone and I'm guessing one of them works with the back plug adapter on the T600. I have just sent an e-mail to their support inquiring and will post what I hear back. They have all types of external antennas and amplifiers.

2) THB: www.thb-usa.com As many have noted, THB is the manufacturer of the Handspring car adapter kit. They have a whole range of proucts - the one Handspring is selling is on the low end of what they do. I asked THB if they would have products available soon and the response I received is below. I replied back requesting a more specific time frame. If you go to their web site, you need to download their PDF catalog - that's the only way you can figure out what they offer. (www.thb-usa.com/pdf/catalog_082603.zip)

Subject: THB PHONE PRODUCTS
    Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 08:50:19 -0700

Keith,

I'm in receipt of your info request for THB USA HandsFree products! THB
    USA is working on several new and exciting products for the new year!
    Yes, you are correct in saying we seem to be limited on products for
    CDMA compatible phones. However, THB has develop the system for the
    HandSpring Treo 600 but it's not compatible for the Sprint PCS Treo 600
    at this time!

Should you be able to attend the '2004 Consumer Electronics Show, look
    for our booth at the Las Vegas Convention Center during Jan 8 to 11. We
    are in the North Hall - Booth #5230

Check back after the first of the year as we will be releasing several
    new products!

Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 09:45:07 -0600
    To: info@thb-usa.com
    Subject: CMDA Compatibility??

I would like to purchase a few of your products but it does not look like you offer products that are compatible with my phone - the Sprint PCS Handspring Treo 600.

This phone has an external antenna jack, but from what I can tell, you do not really offer many CMDA products or products for my specific phones. Is this correct, or am I missing something?

I am interested in either the CarTalk or TrendTalk and a Dual Band On Glass Antennas.

If these are available for my phone, I would also be interested in a THB USA Custom Harness for each of my cars.

Thanks!
    New to the Treo world, but I, too am interested in an external antenna. I already have a panel roof mount antenna with an adapter from my Sanyo 8100 (what I had before buying a Treo)...Anyhow, I found this website from an earlier post, and found what seems to be an adapter:
    http://www.cellphonesolutions.com/rfcables.html
    Last edited by shreksbrother; 01/22/2004 at 07:36 AM.
    Originally posted by shreksbrother
    New to the Treo world, but I, too am interested in an external antenna. I already have a panel roof mount antenna with an adapter from my Sanyo 8100 (what I had before buying a Treo)...Anyhow, I found this website from an earlier post, and found what seems to be an adapter:
    http://www.cellphonesolutions.com/rfcables.html
    I called them this morning and was told that they don't have a RF cable that will fit the Treo 600. He said there wasn't yet enough demand to justify it.
    I have a 300. Emailed with him and he said it was the 'ring' style that slipped over the Treo's antenna. I guess for 15 bucks I'll give it a try...I'll probably order it in the next few days and report back.
    Adam.
    I have a 300. Emailed with him and he said it was the 'ring' style that slipped over the Treo's antenna. I guess for 15 bucks I'll give it a try...I'll probably order it in the next few days and report back.
    Adam.
    That is for the cable correct? Which antenna are you going to try?
    I already have a panel roof mount antenna with an adapter from my Sanyo 8100 (what I had before buying a Treo)...Anyhow,
    I got it from www.cellantenna.com and it worked awesome for my Sanyo 8100

I got it from www.cellantenna.com and it worked awesome for my Sanyo 8100
    What was "it" that you got?

They seem to carry many different products.

NatesTreo
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    As I quoted in that post, I got a panel roof mount antenna. Here's a link:
    http://www.cellantenna.com/Antennas/..._____PC-19013: