1.    #1  
    Can the Cingular version do multi-tasking? Can I use Blazer and AIM? Does AIM look good on this phone? I'm looking to pick up a sidekick. I can't take this wait anymore. To make matters worst I've been waiting for 4 months for this phone. I give up! I'm signing a data only plan and I'll get a voice service from AT&T. Unless the treo can do multi-tasking. Then I'll bite the bullet and spend 600+ for a unlocked treo.
    The Palm OS does not do multi-tasking. If you are using Blazer (actually you shoud use WebPro) and want to go to an AIM program the Browser will be in "freeze" mode until you come back to it. Verichat on the Treo is the only IM client I have used but its actually really really good IMHO. I have the Sidekick also and although its a great device it does not handle PIM function well enough to use as a daily carry. If you need to use PIM functions you can't go wrong with the Treo. If you just want to IM get email and browse non-javascript web site then get a Sidekick.
    Palm OS5 has some basic multitasking capabilities (for example I can quite easily have Mp3's playing in the background with Aeroplayer while doing other stuff).

OS6 will supposedly have full multithreading multitasking.
    For the example you gave of AIM and another program, multi-tasking works perfectly. however, it only works provided you're using Verichat. The other problem with this is that unless you have unlimited SMS, you might get charged for using it. If you're browsing a website, and a message comes in, Verichat pops up an option box. If you type your message and hit enter or quick reply instead of chat, then it will send your message and return to the program you were already using.
    You should try chatter for IM'ing. Chatter will pop up a dialog if you are running another program and allow you to respond to the IM and then return to the original program. Chatter will also not use SMS (and the charges that might incur). Chatter uses straight TCP/IP pushed to the treo.
    According to the Palm OS Programming Bible, the Palm OS can handle multi-tasking, but the user inter face is single tasking. Which means that a program can handle communications or playing music in the background while you do something else, but only one program can have control of the screen at a time. Apparently the Verichat program mentioned above can get a message in the background and take over the screen, let you reply to the message and the switch back to the other program much like the sms application does when an sms message comes in. In fact the Verichat program sounds like it uses sms to handle chatting.
    yes, that sounds right on target. Although I was talking about Chatter not Verichat.

Chatter does run in the background and pop up alert windows when new messages come in from the chatter server. It P
    Yes, that sounds right on target. Although I was talking about Chatter not Verichat.

Chatter does run in the background and pop up alert windows when new messages come in from the chatter server.

Verichat suspends and disconnects locally from the Verichat server. If the verichat server detects a new message, it sends a true SMS message to your phone.

The chatter local client and server communicate using a more persistant TCP/IP connection to determine status. No SMS usage there.

That might be important if you are limited in SMS usage.