Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I currently carry a Palm Vx PDA and a Ericsson T28 World phone on Cingular. Love both, but it is probably time to 'let go'

After several weeks of internet and soul searching, I have decided to stay with Palm instead of jumping to Windows Mobile. This makes Treo 600 the obvious choice (over Motorola's MPX200 and Samsung's i600).

But can't decide between Sprint, ATT or Cingular. All seem to have about equivalent coverage in Chapel Hill but I have heard horror stories about Sprint's customer service. But, I don't like the high data access rates for ATT and Cingular. Any suggestions?

Another option I am seriously considering is to stick with my Palm Vx and T28 for a few more months till the next Treo (Treo 700?). the higher resolution and BT would be nice to have since I just got a Jabra BT headset for free at Amazon (purchased an ATT plan on T616 for my wife, btw, the T616 was free too). But this option doesn;t have much logical merit, there will always be something better in the _next_ model. But if its only a matter of months......!

Just looking for some advice.

Confused.
    I would not expect a new Treo until Q1 2005 or later. I think Handspring has their plate full just trying to fill orders on the Treo 600.

The Treo 600 is a killer phone. I have tried every damn phone on the market and I live and die by my Treo 600.

Hopefully Bluetooth and High Res will be in the next Treo release, but not at the expense of a bigger phone and/or more weigh. The battery life on the Treo 270/300 sucked and I am sure handspring got an earful about it. High res may bring back those nightmares for them. But hopefully power and battery technology will significantly advance by then.

Personally, I would like to have a pure 3G Treo instead. The Web is still a joke on these phones. I use the Directory Assistance app on the Treo all the time which is a really useful use of the mobile Internet but it is just too slow still.
    Number 1 should be best coverage, including areas that you travel if applicable. Seems like you already have that covered. Number 2 should be $$$. Seems like you already have a pretty good idea about it also.

Sprint...customer service is most definitely not the best. There have been times I've had to walk them through their duties. However, I also have ran into good customer service representatives both on the phone and at their stores. Same thing happens with the cable and internet companies. I have been with them since 1999 and just signed for another 2 years last month.

Phones are like computers, you buy one today and a few months later there is something out there that looks a bit better than what you have. That is why I keep them for a long time so when I upgrade there is a huge difference between the new and old one. I had a Nokia/Palm III for 3 years, Kyocera 6035 for 2 years, and now the Treo 600. So I have figured that my next upgrade will be in 2 years. But that is just personal preference.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I live in Durham, and parts of Chapel Hill and Carrboro seem to be a cell phone wasteland. Reception can be spotty at best in some residential areas. You may want to talk with friends who have cell phones and others on this forum to see who they use and if they have good coverage. Borrow a phone for a night and take it home to see where coverage goes out.
    I can tell you that I had a hard time a year ago deciding whether I should buy a Treo 270 or 300. I ended up not buying one because it had a specific deficiency (i.e. lack of expandable memory) that would severely limit its usefulness when compared to the Clie I already owned.

So, when the Treo 600 appeared, it was an easy decision as it offers a SD slot. I can tell you that this Treo exceeded all of my expectations and like any innovative device, it created new uses that I couldn't fathom previously.

I was surprised by a few of my reactions:

1) I thought I would miss the 320x320 resolution on my Clie, but I don't. I don't even think that I'm using a "low-res" device at all.

2) I thought I preferred Graffiti, but I don't miss it in the slightest. The ability to use the thumboard, 5-way navigation button, and the occasional tapping on the screen with my 5th digit is more efficient than using just a stylus. My "purist" notion that a device that replicates a pen and paper as being most efficient is no longer true for me.

3) AND MY MOST SURPRISING REACTION/THOUGHT:
    This device is so useful to me, that I doubt that I would purchase the next generation Treo if all it offered were Bluetooth and a hi-res screen. I think it's *that* terrific.

I know that better devices come with time, but this device is too useful to me as it is. Unless my personal and professional needs change drastically, this device should meet all of my needs. If I do buy the next generation Treo, it will be truly to buy a new "toy" and not based upon actual needs.

I don't think I helped you at all, but you're really in a win-win situation. I mean, you're not starving or homeless. You're wondering if you should use 2 separate tech devices or a converged one.
    I'm a happy Sprint customer. I can't imagine other carrier's CSRs being any better. Plus their data rates are great and u wi' use data on this phone.
    I must second the positive sentiments in this thread. The 600 is my organizer, my phone, my mail, my music, my news, my pictures, my flashlight, blogger and my internet radio. I absolutely live inside this device and would not part with it. I too have no plans to replace it for several years, even if the next one's got BlueTooth.

If you're a heavy internet user (you probably are) I strongly suggest you look closely at one of the Sprint plans that includes unlimited PCS Vision use. 
    Ditto on unlimited SprintPCS Vision - it's the best plan available for getting all the value from PDA/Phone. I thought web access would be more of a gimmick. Now that l've got it, with unlimited use, I can't believe how often I use it. The convenience of my Treo600 with Vision is just plain compelling. I'm very satisfied with this whole package.
    I don't think I would have seriously considered the Treo were it not for the Unlimited Vision part of my Sprint PCS plan... I'm a constant Chatter (IM/Email) user. (I also discovered the joys of IMAP setting up the Treo for my email usage.)

I would really like to have had BT in the phone for the wireless headset aspect (and maybe syncing). If I had a BT-equipped car, I'd want it even more.

This is my first Palm, so the screen res isn't really an issue for me except where software compatibility is concerned. I'd wish the camera was better before I upped the screen res.

As this is my first Palm, it's the first PDA I've ever had with me at all times. I have an iPaq that I never use because I never took it with me anywhere... That's part of reason I like it so much - it's forcing me to use the PDA aspect so I can get a bit more organized...
    I've been a Palm user since my Palm IIIxe. I've upgraded to many different models over the years, and there's no doubt in my mind that this is the best of the bunch. I used thr other Palms I owned quite a bit, but now that my Treo is also my phone, I use it ALL the time and love it. Like many Treo 600 users, I thought I'd miss the higher resolution of my previous Palm, but I rarely notice the difference. I also find that I can enter text faster with the Treo 600 keyboard than I ever could with Graphiti. I can't imagine going back...

As far as service providers, I can heartily recommend Sprint. I've been a customer for over four years and have been very happy.

Just do it! You won't look back.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    If the Treo got 320 x 320 I'd marry it.
    Originally posted by dalmiabk
    I currently carry a Palm Vx PDA and a Ericsson T28 World phone on Cingular. Love both, but it is probably time to 'let go'

After several weeks of internet and soul searching, I have decided to stay with Palm instead of jumping to Windows Mobile. This makes Treo 600 the obvious choice (over Motorola's MPX200 and Samsung's i600).

But can't decide between Sprint, ATT or Cingular. All seem to have about equivalent coverage in Chapel Hill but I have heard horror stories about Sprint's customer service. But, I don't like the high data access rates for ATT and Cingular. Any suggestions?

Another option I am seriously considering is to stick with my Palm Vx and T28 for a few more months till the next Treo (Treo 700?). the higher resolution and BT would be nice to have since I just got a Jabra BT headset for free at Amazon (purchased an ATT plan on T616 for my wife, btw, the T616 was free too). But this option doesn;t have much logical merit, there will always be something better in the _next_ model. But if its only a matter of months......!

Just looking for some advice.

Confused.
    1) Sprint's customer service is horrible.
    2) Stay away from Sprint - they have the worst customer service you could imagine.
    3) If you go with Sprint, you'll probably regret it - their customer service is unbelievably bad.
    4) Don't expect a new Palm branded PDA-phone any time soon. But Samsung should have a nice PalmOS phone out in a few months.
    5) Ask around to see what reception is like in your area with the various carriers.
    6) You can get unlimited data from AT&T for $20/month. Just ask for it. The last two AT&T reps I have spoken to both indicated that this pricing was available for any voice package.
    7) You need to be honest about how you will be using the device(s). If you plan to mainly use PIM apps and occasional email/web, your current setup could work for years to come. If you won't do a lot of reading on your PDA, want a color screen or easier wireless access, a Treo 600 could be a good choice.
    8) If you plan to do a lot of reading/email/web/spreadsheets, you really need the larger screen size of a stand alone PDA and could get a Bluetooth phone (like the Sony Ericsson T610/616) and any of the Palms with built-in Bluetooth. Using separate devices lets you upgrade one at a time and sometimes you may appreciate being able to carry around just a tiny dedicated phone instead of the slightly bulky Treo 600.
    9) If you plan to use the phone outside the USA, get an unlocked GSM phone.
    10) If Bluetooth is important to you, don't buy one of the current Treo 600.
    11) Borrow a Treo 600 for a few hours if you can.
    12) If you need a really good phone, get separate phone + PDA. The Treo 600 is not exactly the greatest phone in the world.
    13) Avoid Sprint.
    14) Stay away from Sprint.
    15) Whatever you do, don't go with Sprint.
    16) If you insist on going with Sprint but want a separate PDA and cell phone, the Bluetooth Sony Ericsson T608 was released four days ago. It isn't sold in Sprint stores (call 1 866 PCS-AUTO to order) and will probably be sold out by next week. It took me only three hours of calls/hold time with Sprint's dedicated Customer Service Professionals to get my order for this phone placed earlier this week. If Sony is able to fix the CLIE UX-50's few major problems, I think the CLIE/T608 combination will be the best way to go.

It's hard to appreciate the benefits of a true convergence device until you actually start using it. Perfect example: the Directory Assistance app is absolutely brilliant. Finds phone numbers, addresses and gives accurate directions to any address listed in the major phone books.

http://home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/palm/#da

(How could an app this useful be freeware? Definitely in the top 10 - along with Vexed and YAUC - freeware Palm apps.)
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    1) Sprint's customer service is horrible.
    2) Stay away from Sprint - they have the worst customer service you could imagine.
    3) If you go with Sprint, you'll probably regret it - their customer service is unbelievably bad.
    1. who cares
    2. who cares
    3. who cares

I've commented on this before, but I think it's amazingly funny how many people get so bent out of shape about customer service.
    I mean really, how many times do you people call customer service? Do you call just for fun? Because you're bored? Are you just really sensitive? In the 5 years I've owned cell phones (both with T-Mobile and Sprint) I've probably called customer service 4 or 5 times ever. To be honest, I don't remember if the CS reps were good or bad, because it's such an insignificant part of the last 5 years of my life. My coverage is good, I love my phone, and the pricing plan is decent. That's what matters.
    Why anyone would choose a carrier based primarily on their customer service reputation is beyond me.
  14.    #14  
    Chupacabra, let me understand this, you are strongly advising to stay away from Sprint, but _you_ just ordered a T608 from Sprint??

or did i miss something in your post?

thanks for the other great comments. In terms of having a GSM phone for Europe, i got my T28 unlocked by Cingular by sweet-talking the CSR.
    Originally posted by Minsc

1. who cares
    2. who cares
    3. who cares

I've commented on this before, but I think it's amazingly funny how many people get so bent out of shape about customer service.
    I mean really, how many times do you people call customer service?
    The reason why this matters is because a convergent device is complicated and without proper support the thing simply will not function. I have four sets of names and passwords to get my Treo "connected."

After over 60 hours my Treo now only some times does e-mail correctly. It took over 40 hours for Sprint to get the account set up right and all of this was over a period of two weeks.

Now that I have most of the functions I need, I can live without having to call Sprint to reset my account every day. Fortunately Sprint did try everything they could do to help. The problem was with the servers that store account and log in information.
    After spending a fair amount of time on the issue I decided that it came down to Sprint or T-Mobile because of their unlimited data plans. ATT and Cingular just don't cut it. In the end, I decided I preferred the battery life of the GSM over the speed of Sprint. I spend more time talking than browsing on my 270. The ease of moving the phone to other carriers also favored the GSM
    phone. So I am waiting for T-Mobile (hopefully this week.)
    Enquiring minds want to know ...
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra

5) Ask around to see what reception is like in your area with the various carriers.
    Actually, T-Mobile stores (the official ones) have a computer program that will show you, at street level, what your coverage should be in any given area. In Hawaii, they have a deal where if you are unhappy with their coverage you can end your contract with NO early termination fee at ANY time. YMMV.
    I don't understand all of this hate for Sprint's customer service. I've been a Sprint customer for about four years and been very satisfied with the services because I don't put myself in a position to where I have to call customer service for support. I just wonder what is going so wrong with everyone's service that they have to call Sprint's CS so much and receive all of this bad service? I have had my Treo600 since October and the only thing I've had to call Sprint for is to get the phone turned on and change plans. Why is everyone calling so much?
    On the original subject, get the Treo600 CDMA. Thrust me, you will not be disappointed. This may be one of the greatest devices ever. PERIOD!
    Originally posted by Minsc

1. who cares
    2. who cares
    3. who cares

I mean really, how many times do you people call customer service? Do you call just for fun? Because you're bored? Are you just really sensitive? In the 5 years I've owned cell phones (both with T-Mobile and Sprint) I've probably called customer service 4 or 5 times ever. To be honest, I don't remember if the CS reps were good or bad, because it's such an insignificant part of the last 5 years of my life. My coverage is good, I love my phone, and the pricing plan is decent. That's what matters.
    Why anyone would choose a carrier based primarily on their customer service reputation is beyond me.
    You response suggests a lack of intelligence, but in the spirit of the season, I'll attempt to educate you nonetheless.

Most people purchasing phones will have limited - if any - contact with the customer service departments for the providers. Unfortunately cell phone and their networks are becoming more complex and many of us inevitably have some problems with the phones requiring interaction with customer service reps. Until you've experienced the frustration of dealing with a dozen incompetent CSRs and their equally incompetent/lazy managers, it will probably be difficult for you to understand why customer service should be a factor (one of many) considered when deciding on a carrier. But try to think next time.
    Originally posted by dalmiabk
    Chupacabra, let me understand this, you are strongly advising to stay away from Sprint, but _you_ just ordered a T608 from Sprint??

or did i miss something in your post?

thanks for the other great comments. In terms of having a GSM phone for Europe, i got my T28 unlocked by Cingular by sweet-talking the CSR.

Sprint was chosen for a number of reasons including:

1) Superior coverage in my area.
    2) Fair price for unlimited data.
    3) $300 Treo 600 on 1 year contract from Amazon.com
    4) My company discount.

I am fairly comfortable with both phones and PalmOS devices and had (mistakenly) expected I would never have to deal with anyone from Sprint. Unfortunately, things that should have been either automatic or taken five minutes to accomplish typically take hours with Sprint and require speaking to numerous individuals per call.

Don't say you weren't warned...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast