Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    I bought my unlocked phone from Cingular and am using TMobile. I am in Thailand, and my unit reconginzes that there are services, but it will not register. Thus I am stuck without a phone. I am really upset, because Tmobile assured me it would work.

I have spend 45 minutes on the phone (land line) calling from here to the states. After trying to find a problem, they told me, "the Treo 600 is not fully up and running with us."

Is this really the issue? Does the fact that my phone was from cingular (and still has the cingular logo at log in) matter? Have others had problems?
    See my first post in this thread:

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=43827

[edit: removed gripe against TreoCentral for not running an article about this]
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 12/26/2003 at 05:18 AM.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I have owned many GSM phones, and I do not believe what you are hearing is the case. The beauty of GSM is that it is the standard mobile phone system on 80% of the world. Regardless of wheather T-Mobile officially carries the phone you should be able to use your phone as long as the phone supports the frequency used by the provider in a given country.

More than likely T-Mobile did not enable global roaming on your account. Enabling global roaming has to be done by T-Mobile when you are in your home market. It must be requested as it is not enabled by default since additional credit checks are needed. Additionally, there must be a GSM global roaming agreement between T-Mobile and the international provider. You can check this at www.gsmworld.com . Also, the T-Mobile site contains info about their roaming service and partners which can be found at www.t-mobile.com/international/coverage.asp .
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Another thing you can try if you are still in Thailand is to purchase a local prepaid GSM SM card for a local provider there. These cards are usually inexpensive and provide usually good rate per minutee for call internationally. You should be able to pop out your T-Mobiile SIM and insert the prepaid SIM with the only downside beng you can only use the local Thailand number.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    i had the same problem with a different phone in thailand.
    go into network settings or similar, then to detect network or similar, then click on THAI AIS GSM or similar.
    the best place to get a local sim card is in mbk plaza on sukhumvit. i like one2call. here you will find dozuns of shops loaded with geeks who can solve all issues! also you can pick your own phone number here. also they have very cool phones we don't have in the states.
    don't forget you will have to hold down the 0 or similar to get a + that allows you to call overseas....
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Problem solved. I called TMobile again, and they realized that they hadn't set my roaming correctly. Took 2 minutes to rectify.

Question now is, who pays for the 45 minute phone call when the unit was not working. I think TMobile owes me a credit.
    Originally posted by zrs70
    Problem solved. I called TMobile again, and they realized that they hadn't set my roaming correctly. Took 2 minutes to rectify.

Question now is, who pays for the 45 minute phone call when the unit was not working. I think TMobile owes me a credit.
    Oh well... So much for the "BOO HOO, this is what you get for using a Cingular phone AGAINST THE MANUFACTURER'S WISHES, see I told you so!" bull posts.

Nyah nyah nyah. See? We told you so.
    Perhaps you should tell palmOne they are full of **** when they say:

== "Don't use a Cingular phone elsewhere or you may not get
    == good results."

Here:

-- http://www.handspring.com/feedback/feedback_site.jhtml

Just click on that and you can tell them yourself!

Go for it!

Lol!

[what an amazing jerk!]
    Originally posted by JHETZEL
    I have owned many GSM phones, and I do not believe what you are hearing is the case. The beauty of GSM is that it is the standard mobile phone system on 80% of the world. Regardless of wheather T-Mobile officially carries the phone you should be able to use your phone as long as the phone supports the frequency used by the provider in a given country.
    You are right about this, when it comes to using just the basic phone service. As for the GPRS standard, it seems there really is no standard because the GPRS on the Treo 600 does not work in India. In fact even my old Treo 270 did not work here. I know the problem is with the Treo since all I have to do is pop in my simcard in another (motorola/sony-erricson etc.) and the GPRS works fine, but not so in my Treo 600 or Treo 270.
    Originally posted by Coyote

Oh well... So much for the "BOO HOO, this is what you get for using a Cingular phone AGAINST THE MANUFACTURER'S WISHES, see I told you so!" bull posts.

Nyah nyah nyah. See? We told you so.
    Please don't feed the troll. (Though I did once before I knew better).

If he responded to each message he posted that turned out to be wrong, his posts would double.

Bill S
    Excuse me!

PalmOne is the entity saying don't do it - the messenger noting that palmOne is saying that is, surprisingly, absolutely 100% correct at all times regardless whether palmOne is correct or not!

Jerk.

===

You need to contact palmOne and tell them they're simply wrong!

Go for it!

You seem to think you know better!

I mean, ****, you can't have it BOTH ways!

Either they're wrong or YOU are!

So what the ****, just DO it!

Jerk.
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 12/26/2003 at 08:11 AM.