Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After reading numerous positive and at times even quixotically reverent and "hushed" reviews of Boxwave ClearTouch screen protectors, I finally decided against my better judgement to order the $15 piece of plastic. Boy do I regret it! Not only is it overpriced, it is extremely fragile. Following the directions carefully, I cleaned my Treo in a dust free area and aligned the cleartouch carefully as possible to the screen. Unfortnately, my first attempt was not as positive as I would like b/c there was too much space between the screen protector and the bottom edge of the screen for my liking. So I decided to remove the Cleartouch and ty again. Now removing the freaking thing is an absolute PITA. I used the edge of a credit card to gently nudge the edge of the Cleartouch off the screen. This was an extremely frustrating experience and basically took me forever to get the thing off. Once I finally did, the Clieartouch obviously had numerous fingerprints all over it. So I gently rinsed the screen protector under warm water as suggested and let the plastic film dry under air. After patiently waiting for the Cleartouch to dry I attempted my second application. This time I adjusted the protector more centered and even. I again followed the instructions and used a credit card to press out the bubbles underneath the plastic, but to no avail the bubbles would NOT go away! Why? Well it just so happened that the edge I used to remove the Cleartouch is permanantly warped now and the bubbles refuse to go away, destroying the entire aesthetic of a damned $15 screen protector! ARHHH! What a waste of time, energy, and money for such a lousy result. Now I'm no clutz and tried as delicately as possible to handle the Cleartouch...but if you can't even remove it once without warping the stupid thing, then I can't see how the average user out there can get much milage out of this product. Basically, I feel like I totally wasted my money for a lousy piece of plastic for which I could have gotten a similar result with something far less expensive. All I can say is that I will never pay that much for a stupid screen protector ever again, and will definitely not buy a Cleartouch again...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 12/25/2003 at 11:03 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Next time, you should use scotch tape to remove the protector.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by eddietreo
    Next time, you should use scotch tape to remove the protector.
    Tried that, but didn't work... The Cleartouch really adhere to the screen very strongly. No scotch tape could pull that thing off...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Don't give up on the premium screen protector until you try the G2's. You get two for the price you paid for one of the other.
    Good Luck
    When you said the cleartouch adhere to the screen strongly, did it leave any residue or goo on the treo600?

I ordered the cleartouch but haven't tried it yet.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by eddietreo
    When you said the cleartouch adhere to the screen strongly, did it leave any residue or goo on the treo600?

I ordered the cleartouch but haven't tried it yet.
    No, no residue or glue was seen. One side of the Cleartouch is sticky and the other side is not. I think the cleartouch basically forms a tight suction-like barrier to stay in place. Thus, probably the reason for the difficulty in removing it. Having one side warped though makes it much easier to remove now...

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I just ordered NuShields two days ago. They supposidly do not have an adhesive. I will post my experience wit theeem when they arrive. The are less expensive thn the Boxwave.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    yes, they are a total pain to put on, but they work sooooooo good once they are on. My Boxwave on my T|T lasted 8 months.
    well hmm - I was (pick one) either lucky/skilled/asleep/not paying attention to not have messed up my install of the great Boxwave. Mine went on perfectly (whew!) the first time and no issues so far, otherwise.
    'Course now I've jinxed myself and will probably run over the dang thing with my car....
    gfunkmagic, i'm confused. had you used the cleartouch protectors previously and just had a bad experience with this application? In two previous posts you seem to reccomend the cleartouch.
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Refer to this thread regarding the minisync cable. Also here's a review of the clear touch screen protectors. Personally I think the two best products are either the cleartouch of the G2, but proably prefer the former b/c of fear of damaging the cushioning around the screen with the G2...
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Yeah, go with the Boxwave or G2. I personally prefer the Boxwaves...
    I'm just curious. I don't have any protecor on the screen but was considering the cleartouch.

TIA
    I LOVE my boxwave screen protector. Given that I have trouble putting contact lenses in my eyes, I figured I woul dhave trouble putting the screen protector on my treo 600.

So I ordered the 3 plack.

I had the same problem you had with yours... I mis-aligned on my first attempt, then had a hard time removing (tried scotch tape, didn't work), then got fingerprints all over it... washed and air dried it... tried again, with success that time.

Since then, I can tell you that this is an AWESOME product.

Put one of the remaining 2 protectors on my wife's treo 600 (yeah, we're a two Treo family, lol).

I was confident enough in the product to recommend it to one of the senior executives in my company... and I will recommend it to others here.

Buddy
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by TAllenKCC
    gfunkmagic, i'm confused. had you used the cleartouch protectors previously and just had a bad experience with this application? In two previous posts you seem to reccomend the cleartouch.

I'm just curious. I don't have any protecor on the screen but was considering the cleartouch.

TIA
    I guess you got me huh? I was recommeding the Cleartouch based on numerous other positive reviews from other users and review sites. However, I don't think I'ld recommend them again based on my personal experience...

Originally posted by TAllenKCC
    gfunkmagic, i'm confused. In two previous posts you seem to reccomend the cleartouch.
    LOL! You noticed that too, huh?

When I got my Boxwave screen protectors (3pak), it took me a couple tries to get the sucker centered on the screen. Whenever it wasn't centered, I used a tweazer to lift one edge up and use my fingers to lift it up completely. And then I would try again. Once I finally got it perfectly centered, I totally forgot I had one on... until this thread reminded me.

With the money I paid for these little tiny plastic squares, Boxwave should've at least thrown in some kind of tool kit in the box to make it easier to put on or take off the screen protector.
    I have bought a javoedge screen protector and altough pretty damn expensive it seems to do the job.

Word of warning to prospective nushield buyers, they have been spamming treo mailing lists with fake user reports so i would advise against supporting this company.
    I remember how nervous i was the first time i removed a fellowes screen protector from my HS Deluxe. Thought I'd puncture the screen. At least they package a card to help apply and remove their protectors.
    I used the nushield on my I330 and it was great. Just ordered them for my treo. Hadn't heard about the spamming thing.

Woof
    ďThere are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.Ē
    ó Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I bought a boxwave screen protector and had all the same problems you had. I ruined it during the install/reinstall and had to throw it away.
    The application instructions that come with the Boxwave are pretty poor.

I learned the following application procedure with other products. The Boxwave instructions just basically say to put it on and then smooth out the bubbles. Thatís the hard way. You may not be able to get all the bubbles out and sometimes it stretches and distorts the plastic.

Iíve found the following application method to be very reliable. Itís saved me a hundred heartaches. Hopefully it will be useful to someone with whatever product they use.

- Hold the end of the screen protector you want to end up at the top of the PDA screen with both hands, using the thumb and forefingers. (Iíll call this the top of the screen protector.)
    - Use your other fingers to grasp the bottom of the screen protector.
    - Line up the bottom edge with the PDA screen and just let a few millimeters attach to the screen.
    - Pause a moment and confirm that this is how you want it. If it came out tilted or too far away from the bottom, itís now very easy to pull it up and try again. Repeat this procedure until youíre satisfied.
    - Now, keeping the top of the screen protector curved up and away from the PDA screen with one hand and with the bottom stuck on the way you want it, use the other hand to grab youíre credit card or other preferred smoothing tool and gently press the screen protector onto the PDA screen, smoothing out the bubbles as you go. If you canít get the bubble out, then pull a little bit off and try again. (Keep the top curved up and away from the PDA screen right until the last.)
    - Usually by the time youíve got a quarter to a third applied itís clear whether youíre alignment is correct. If it isnít, itís easy to pull the screen protector off and start again.
    - Repeat until all is exactly they way you like.

Works like a charm every time!

Gfunkmagic - Reapplying with this procedure also helps to smooth out stretch distortions. It helps, but doesnít always completely fix it.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Hi gfunkmagic,

I believe this warrents a refund and at the very least an exchange of this item. As it is not your fault that you are not satisfied with the product.
    I had the same experience. I ordered the 3 pack and all three were ruined in trying to get them on with no finger prints or dust under the screen. Waste of money.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast