1.    #1  
    Now that Handspring, the little company that could, has merged with Palm, the Giant who has finally caught up, 2004 is going to be an extremely interesting year for converged devices. I think most people forget how small Handspring was in comparison to other cell phone or PDA makers. For a company like that to put out what is without a doubt the best converged device two times in a row is really impressive. Now imagine what they are going to be able to do with Palm’s marketing and financial clout. Clearly 2003 has been the year in which Palm has been able to match Sony in releasing innovative products within 4 month product cycles. This translated into Palm being able to release multiple product lines each with their own subsets of price points. The combination of the two will advance the converged device faster than ever before. I fully expect to see two new Treo’s in 2004. The first one most everyone knows is coming is a Treo geared more towards the enterprise market. I doubt that Palm is only going to subtract the camera as most of the rumors state, rather I see them either adding 802.11b with possible VOIP support or adding a removable battery. That would make a lot of sense as a way to seed the enterprise market. I think that late summer we are going to see a new consumer model with a 65k screen and Bluetooth support. I highly doubt we are going to see a version with a higher resolution screen, 1 mpix camera, Bluetooth and Wifi though until 2005. I just do not think that battery technology is going to advance enough to allow us to have that device for another year or two. Possibly the newer lower power consumption Wifi cards could sneek in towards the end of the year and possibly make its way into that “dream” Treo but not at a price point that is going to be profitable.

I for one cannot wait for WebPro to add 5 way Nav support. I really think that Blazer’s lack of being able to load text before images hampers the Treo’s ability to display real websites. I have become used to using WebPro when I want to view real web sites and Blazer when I want to view PDA optimized sites. I also like some of the enhancements that the T3 has done to the basic PIM apps which should find their way into the Treo hopefully sooner rather than later. It is going to be interesting from a Software standpoint how the merger will affect the both product lines.

For now though I think 2003 will be remembered as the year in which the converged device finally has come into its own. Last week I was on my way to a closing for a new property I bought and the bank could not get the revised closing docs to the closing lawyer I was going to meet. I had the person from the bank email me the PDF of the closing docs while I was driving to look at the revisions. Once I saw that everything was fixed I called her back and told her things were good to go. I showed up to the closing, popped the sd card into the guys Toshiba and transferred the PDF to him and closed the deal. All I could think of the whole time was how far we have come with technology. How amazing it was to be able to receive the docs while driving in my car, review them real quick and transfer them to the closing agent and close the mortgage, all because of 600. It’s a good time to be alive….
    My expectations/wishes are pretty basic. The next Treo better have:

320x320 transflective screen
    bluetooth
    SDIO slot capable of powering peripherals like SD wifi card

Those are the major upgrades imo. Everything else like replaceable battery, more ram, better camera, faster proc, Web Pro, FLASH, enhanced PIM, etc are nice too...but if PalmOne doesn't upgrade those three major feautures in the next Treo, I will seriously consider another device...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    return of voice memo!
    Originally posted by plessdude
    [...] I had the person from the bank email me the PDF of the closing docs while I was driving to look at the revisions. Once I saw that everything was fixed I called her back and told her things were good to go. I showed up to the closing, popped the sd card into the guys Toshiba and transferred the PDF to him and closed the deal. All I could think of the whole time was how far we have come with technology. [….]
    What program did you use to review the PDF on your Treo? I must have missed the memo on that capability.
    Quote: "What program did you use to review the PDF on your Treo? I must have missed the memo on that capability."

OK, Here goes,
    Memo to hesspaul:

"Acrobat reader from Adobe can be found at Adobe dot com"

http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...erforpalm.html

(datavis also offers pdf support and a few clie devices have some pdf viewer options as well)

RW
    early 2004:
    they have to integrate Edge, WiFi/BT, bigger screen, bring price down to $0 or -$50 for low end (ie. treo600) and have another model $200 for high end.

mid 2004:
    first model of OS 6.0.

If they cannot do that, Palmone wireless effort will be as usefull as Handspring. (ie. bankrupt)
    Originally posted by roadwarrior
    Quote: "What program did you use to review the PDF on your Treo? I must have missed the memo on that capability."

OK, Here goes,
    Memo to hesspaul:

"Acrobat reader from Adobe can be found at Adobe dot com"

http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...erforpalm.html

(datavis also offers pdf support and a few clie devices have some pdf viewer options as well)

RW
    I think we are all aware of this by now, however this is only a reader for palm which requires you to sync your device with the conduit that converted the pdf to a format that your treo can read. According to plessdude, he downloaded an email with a pdf file attached and viewed it natively on his treo while in the car.
    So back to the question, how does one do that ?
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Originally posted by millerhifi

I think we are all aware of this by now, however this is only a reader for palm which requires you to sync your device with the conduit that converted the pdf to a format that your treo can read. According to plessdude, he downloaded an email with a pdf file attached and viewed it natively on his treo while in the car.
    So back to the question, how does one do that ?
    There is no better PDF viewer IMO than picsel viewer. I have seen some negative comments by posters regarding picsel viewer however, it is unknown as to how much experience they have USING the product. I use it exclusively to view PDF's (borrowed it from my retired NZ-90) and there is nothing that comes close.
    http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...0730021081.htm

http://www.pdastreet.com/articles/20...es-Picsel.html

RW