1.    #1  
    I have the treo 600, and got the 512 meg sd card for it assuming there would be a clear purpose. All I am finding is that is almost impossible to get it to act like a typical removable media for a computer. I am new to palm, so please advise..

Photos: using the default "pictures" app to take pics, then moving them over to the card, and using splash photo to manipulate the pics. But once there, they are impossible to get back into "pictures" and make wallpapers out of them (this only seems possible in the pictures app)

Files: Sent myself some word docs to store on the card, but once on the card - they are stuck there! I can't access them with quickword, or anything else!!! I got filez to try to deal with card files, but it is not exactly the easiest interface to use. How do you use an SD card? If palm is really this limited with how it (doesn't) deal with a card, I am considering dropping palm altogether and going with a pocket pc... or at least returning my 200.00 sd card because its almost useless...

and damn - I am always misplacing files - I am a web site developer and deal with hundreds of files a day, but the ancient feeling file structure of the palm card scares the beejezzus out of me. Is my card largely useless, unless i am using it for an mp3 player (which i'm not , that's what my ipod is for)...

any ideas are very appreciated.
    Last edited by spooky213; 12/24/2003 at 07:47 PM.
    -steve

www.steveisaacs.com
    treo 600 sprint
    You're right about the photos.

However, with the word documents, using quickword, you just tap on the icon that is in the bottom right corner that looks like a handheld, and it will show the contents of your memory card. Some programs are slightly picky about where you store files, but other than that, i really don't see anything ancient about the way palm os uses the memory card. On the other hand, if you're talking about the fact that it will only recognize pdb and prc files, then i can understand your comment.

Another use that many have for their memory cards btw is for maps for whatever mapping program they use. In my case, I have one 512 meg card full of MP3s and a few videos converted for MMPlayer, and a 64 meg card that i use for roms for NesEm and Gizmo, E-books, and for my backups.

i'm sure others will come up with suggestions for using your memory card as well, but all in all, if you don't use it as often as you thought, return it for maybe a smaller card. I do suggest having at least a 32 meg card so that you can do backups and restore when you're not at your computer, but other than that, i can see how it wouldn't be a necessity for some people
  3.    #3  
    thanks for the input...

about the word files, I tried saving a .doc file I emailed myself to the root level of the card, and also in the PALM/Programs/Quickoffice directory...and no matter how I search from quickoffice, it won't see the .doc. also every time I try to copy the doc with fileZ to move to my internal memory, I get an error saing I cannot copy the file. this is what I mean by antiquated...just not much seems to work at all let alone work gracefully.
    I have read that PalmOS recognizes the following directories:

PALM/Launcher/ for Palm PRCs, PQAs, and PDBs

PALM/Books/ for e-books

DCIM/ for images, and for some reason, movies.

AUDIO/ for MP3 files, WAVs, and other audio files

What I've not been able to find is a complete list of such directory names that PalmOS recognizes. In your case, did you try formatting the card every which way you can, and did you try putting the doc file on the card by other means (besides file attaching)?

While you can go the pocketpc route, the device will be larger than the t600, might have shorter battery life, and might have other issues which would make you want to return to the simplicity of palm.
    David
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Photos: using the default "pictures" app to take pics, then moving them over to the card, and using splash photo to manipulate the pics. But once there, they are impossible to get back into "pictures" and make wallpapers out of them (this only seems possible in the pictures app)
    I have seen this comment several times and maybe I'm not getting the meaning but here's what I do...

1) Take a photo. On my Treo the photos are stored in internal memory in a category called "Photos". (Creative, huh?)

2) View the photo. While the photo is onscreen select 'Move' from the menu.

3) From the open 'Move' dialog, select the name of your SD card in the category list, and then select 'move' or 'copy'. My card is called "Backup".

This moves the image to a \DCIM folder on the SD card. (\DCIM is the standard folder for digital images created by most digital cameras.)

To confirm that the file was moved, view the images in the category you moved it from -- it's not there, right? Conversly, if you view the images on the card you won't see any that are stored on your device (in whatever category).

4) Any editor that can access images from and save to the \DCIM folder on the card can be used to manipulate the photos. In my case I've used a card reader to transfer the photos to my computer and use Fireworks. When I'm done, I copy them back to the \DCIM folder.

Honestly, I'm not sure how this works with an image editing program you use from the Treo, but as long as you can access \DCIM on the card you should be okay. (Use FileZ maybe?)

5) Reverse the process. Review the images in the \DCIM folder from the phone's Pictures app by selecting the name of the SD card from the category list. Select the image and open it.

The "Set Wallpaper" option won't work here -- you can't set an image on the card as wallpaper. HOWEVER, you can MOVE the image back to whatever category in internal memory you want.

Once you've moved the image back (I move mine to a "wallpaper" category) you can open it and use the "Set Wallpaper" function.

And, voila!

I hope this helps.
    Originally posted by spooky213
    Photos: using the default "pictures" app to take pics, then moving them over to the card, and using splash photo to manipulate the pics. But once there, they are impossible to get back into "pictures" and make wallpapers out of them (this only seems possible in the pictures app).
    I would suggest upgrading to the latest version of SplashPhoto first:
    http://www.splashdata.com/splashphoto/download.htm

I've had some issues before upgrading with Pictures not reading the pictures saved in SplashPhoto because SplashPhoto was saving it in a different directory of the card than would the Pictures application. Pictures will not read the files saved Internally by Splashphoto. Nor will it read the card saved items under the All category. You must select your card.

As arielmt mentioned above, you cannot set wallpaper from under SplashPhoto. You can ONLY do it from under the Picture Menu of Pictures. The image also has to be in Internal memory and not the card. If you did not Copy the image to your card and Moved it instead, then you'll need to find it on your card under Pictures and Move or Copy it back to an Internal directory before being able to set it as wallpaper.

Originally posted by spooky213
    Files: Sent myself some word docs to store on the card, but once on the card - they are stuck there! I can't access them with quickword, or anything else!!! I got filez to try to deal with card files, but it is not exactly the easiest interface to use. How do you use an SD card? If palm is really this limited with how it (doesn't) deal with a card, I am considering dropping palm altogether and going with a pocket pc... or at least returning my 200.00 sd card because its almost useless.
    I've never used QuickWord so I can't speak to that, but I do use SnapperMail Standard Edition v1.9.2.01 and Documents To Go v6.005(695). From inside Documents To Go you can tape on the icon to the left of your document (if the file is listed) and chose to Move to Handheld or Move to Card. The same thing can be done from the File Menu. If your file that you saved to your card is not listed, try the Search For Files... feature under the File Menu. I have to use this feature after saving my documents to the Documents/ directory of my card from SnapperMail.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by jsobers; 01/14/2004 at 09:58 AM.