1.    #1  
    I loved Avantgo (http://www.avantgo.com) . I love the concept of being able to sync to your device html pages so I can read them when it was convenient to me.

But, the shine wore with my move to the Treo 600. As you know, the 600 is an OS 5 device. It has been my experience that Avantgo on the 600 has issues:

• My custom channels bloated. I needed to increase the max size of these custom channels by three times what they were on the 270.
    • Custom channels take longer to load. I'm sure this is due to the fact that they are bigger, but it is still annoying.
    • Fonts on some Avantgo channels are too small. This is a known problem. The 600 isn't the first OS 5 device, what is taking them so long?
    • Focus gets stuck on the home icon. Avantgo has a home icon that takes you back to the main list. If the 600 turns off, while Avantgo is the program running when you turn it back on the focus is on the home icon. You can't move it from here, preventing you from using the dial pad to move around the current document. Getting out of Avantgo and back in clears this up.
    • It keeps trying to connect to the server. I keep telling it to work off line, but it keeps forgetting. Since I use it on the subway (http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us) it takes forever to timeout.

Put all together, it was becoming a hassle using Avantgo.

So, I decided to give Plucker (http://www.plkr.org) a try. I have known about Plucker for a very long time, but dismissed it because Avantgo did such a great job and there was a two step process to sync the pages to your device using Plucker.

With Avantgo, when you sync the information is updated on your palm automatically. With Plucker, you have to have the desktop application pull the web pages first and then you can sync them to your device.

I sync automatically every morning, all I have to do is pick up the Treo as I walk out. I was willing to make the adjustment if I found Plucker corrected some of the Avantgo issues. Luckily, Plucker desktop was updated with a scheduler. It still isn't as smooth as Avantgo, but it works. You have to schedule each channel individually, but if you set them up for the same time you shouldn't have any problems.

Plucker desktop syncs five minutes before hotsync kicks in.

Note: There is an option in Plucker Desktop that says it will update the channels when hotsynced, but this didn't work for me. Probably user error.

I had 14 Avantgo channels, only 4 of them official channels. The rest were custom.

I started slowly, I tried two custom channels first. I like the results so much I moved all the custom channels over. Then I noticed that Plucker desktop had settings for two of my Avantgo channels, so I move them over.

I only have two NYTimes on Avantgo right now. Plucker doesn't do password sites well, for that you need a program like Sitescooper. I haven’t tried Sitesccoper out, but if it works as well as Plucker I will get rid of Avantgo all together.

Plucker isn't perfect. You have to set up all the channels manually, but if you did custom channels in Avantgo it shouldn't be that different. Tip: what ever your link depth in Avantgo, just add one for Plucker.

Plucker doesn't currently support the dial pad (even though some docs say it has "Handspring 5-way pad support"), so you have to use your stylus or finger to move around. You can remap your keys to do certain things like move to and then click on a link, but I haven't figured out how to use the kb in the main list.

Another nit for me is that Italic fonts look icky to me but I think you can change how html text is handled. I will have to take a look at that.

So, did Plucker solve enough of my Avantgo problems to over look its problems? Yes.

• All channels take up much less space, even the non Avantgo custom channels. And get this, you sync it all (including the Plucker app) to the SD card.
    • Even on the SD card, the pages load faster.
    • No small font problem.
    • no home icon keeping focus
    • No worries about it trying to connect to the net. Only works offline

All in all, I liked the way Plucker works and is a good alternative to Avantgo. I like it so much that I donated to the cause.

The smaller channels and the ability to put everything on SD make it a keeper. If Avantgo would update itself to do this and fix the mentioned bugs I would move back to it just for the seamless syncing.

FYI: This was type totally on the 600 with Doc 2 Go. Dial pad support is lacking big-time in D2G and it doesn't do the basic corrections.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    An interesting note. Thanks for the information. Ben

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Felipe
    [B]I loved Avantgo (http://www.avantgo.com) . I love the concept of being able to sync to your device html pages so I can read them when it was convenient to me.

But, the shine wore with my move to
    Thanks for the info. I might give Plucker a try.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  4.    #4  
    okay version 1.6.1 works better with the d-pad. not great, but you no longer need to tap the screen. you still need to remap the keys to get around, but once you do it works great.

i finally figured out how the whole hotsync thing works. you need to set the time when you want plucker desktop to update the pages (in my case 6:40am), then you need to make sure the desktop isn't running. when my automatic hotsync happen at 6:45, it polls the plucker desktop to see if your channels need updating. if they do, plucker will update the channels and move the docs over during the hotsync. this automatic channel update can only happen once.

i haven't given up on getting the NYT over, but so far all the cahe apps I have tried dont work on a consistant bases.

Or yeah, i moved the plucker app along with the zlib file to the treo so that I could asign it to a hard button. I use zlib compression on some channels, but I'm not sure of the over all space saving when you consider the space taken up be zlib itself.
    Felipe
    Hi felipe and friends,

I am an avid plucker user (cos avantgo doesn't work on the mac and plucker is better anyway)

I have cable and running Mac OSX (Jaguar). The computer is always on and does not go to sleep

When the schedule is due, the channel dialog showing "initialising x of x channels" appears BUT stops there.

I have to click "cancel", the dialog disappears for a second but since they are all still due and not updated, it appears again almost immediately and starts the download. This time it works.

So it defeats the purpose of the scheduler cos I have to manually do something to get it to update.

Anybody can help me with the auto update thing?

That'll be great cos I have 'syncer' which automatically syncs my treo every morning. I want plucker to pluck first, then syncer starts, so everything is automated and I have my updates every morning.

If anyone wants 'syncer', just hunt for it on palmgear (i think that's where i got it), its freeware.

Tks!
    Kevin
    With a phone like the T600, why oh why would anyone wanna rely on a DESKTOP hotsync??? Is there anyway to use Plucker without the desktop sync??
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by Mahootzki
    With a phone like the T600, why oh why would anyone wanna rely on a DESKTOP hotsync??? Is there anyway to use Plucker without the desktop sync??
    Nope.
    Felipe
    Hallllllooooooo???

not everyone has an unlimited data plan u know? I chalked up US$65 in my 1st month (thankfully it was mostly free as part of the promotion)

But i am now back on a 5mb/month diet.
    No more surfin for me

Originally posted by Mahootzki
  9.    #9  
    Its only been a couple of days, but so far jpluck seems to be pulling in the NYTIMES just fine. And, you get more because you are not limiting yourself to the 4-5 articles in Avantgo, you get the whole section from their regular pages.

FYI, you use jpluck instead of plucker desktop, but you still used the regular plucker app on your handheld.
    Felipe
    Has anyone gotten Jpluck to sync to SD properly? I can't seem to make that work right.
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by Rob600
    Has anyone gotten Jpluck to sync to SD properly? I can't seem to make that work right.
    nope, there have been a couple of reports on this in there mail list.

http://lists.rubberchicken.org/piper...er/003755.html

no solutions so far.
    Felipe
    I got it working. I installed 2.06 and then set it to Conduit & JPluckX to Memory Card and it's working like a charm! I'll keep it around now that it isn't eating main memory.

-Rob
    iSilo and iSiloX have worked flawlessly for me!
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by thegasguru
    iSilo and iSiloX have worked flawlessly for me!
    I have heard great things about isilo, but it isn't free.
    Felipe