1.    #1  
    So, Sprint SMS isn't available yet, as I understand it from other threads here. Is anyone using a "workaround"? As I understand it, the main issue is that SMS will allow Treo to send text messages, so what, if anything, are people doing in the meantime?
    Treo600SMS by PDAapps. It's the best alternative and it works great!
    Or you can point your blazer to this site to send free sms's:

http://www.microcio.com/mobile/sms/

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Or you can point your blazer to this site to send free sms's:

http://www.microcio.com/mobile/sms/
    Merry Christmas!! Thanks for the link...free can be better than not free...
    Technology Rules!
    LauncherX
    MyToday
    Fileman
    BackupMan
    Great Combo!
    Free is not always better than not free. Not free is conveinant, not free allows you to not have to log on to blazer, wait for the page to load and then send. $20 is nothing compared to the price you paid for the Treo. You might as well make life easier for yourself.

Josh
    Buuuut, this is only a TEMPORARY solution, we hope, so to throw out $20.00,which IS money, and espetially after paying so much for the Treo 600...

You can look at it either way
    Originally posted by JoshFink
    Free is not always better than not free. Not free is conveinant, not free allows you to not have to log on to blazer, wait for the page to load and then send. $20 is nothing compared to the price you paid for the Treo. You might as well make life easier for yourself.

Josh
    Absolutely agree....that's why free can be better...proof is in the pudding....
    Technology Rules!
    LauncherX
    MyToday
    Fileman
    BackupMan
    Great Combo!
  8.    #8  
    Another program that does the job of sending SMS, at no charge, is a free one developed by a guy with an i500 - I've tried it on the i500, Treo 300, and the Treo 600, and it works well on all of them.

Here's the link. It's just called "Text Messenger," second app down on the page.

Text Messenger (SMS Program)

Hope someone benefits from this.
    Originally posted by needles
    Another program that does the job of sending SMS, at no charge, is a free one developed by a guy with an i500 - I've tried it on the i500, Treo 300, and the Treo 600, and it works well on all of them.

Here's the link. It's just called "Text Messenger," second app down on the page.

Yup, that's a great app as well.. However, the only caveat is that it can only sends text messages to other Sprint phones...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  10.    #10  
    That's true...so TreoSMS is the best alternative (as an actual program) to use?
    while you check out Treo600SMS check out Verichat.
    Although not SMS tool it works well and connects you with anyone who has IM.

Put your $20 towards something you will keep and then wait for Sprint SMS to show up some day.

just a thought
    Palm Pre and a nice collection of Treos: 755p, 700, 650, 600, 300 and Palm Pilots, Visors, and Sony Clie
    Originally posted by needles

For everyone whining about SMS not working (myself included), somebody kindly linked me to this free 1 way sms prc. It works smoothly so far and easy to use!

AND ITS FREE!!!!

I live in Indianapolis and my SMS receive AND send has been working flawlessly since Sunday nite (1/25).

Can't be too far around the corner for everybody else.

K
    I am in Indianapolis also and it just started working Sunday night. Its works great, except I am getting lots of resets. Yay Sprint! Now roll out MMS and I will be happy.
    All noobs click here
    I've been reading that some people are having trouble with continuous crashes associated with the SMS program. When hitting the "go to" button, Palm will crash and restart itself. Its happened to me, one, maybe 2 times.

Sounds like a software problem that Handspring will like address and patch within the coming weeks.

K
    I can send messages back and forth between my wife and I using the E-mail gateway. Since the resets come with the receiving of sms I'v got my wife using PCS mail instead of shortmail.(her shortmail still works-Sanyo 4900) It takes the same amount of time as the shortmail and I don't get resets when sent from PCS mail.

Hopes this helps.
    This is my Treo. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Treo is my best freind. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My Treo without me is useless. Without my Treo, I am useless......
    Try the update, it fixes the SMS crash thingy
    The update worked like a charm! No more resets! I still can't send so I still use the e-mail gateway.

What I don't know is wether or not I have to use a different e-mail address for people with carriers other than Sprint.

Anybody know anything about that?
    This is my Treo. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Treo is my best freind. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My Treo without me is useless. Without my Treo, I am useless......
    Most of them are the same, 1234567890@messaging.-----.com