Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Originally posted by Smartphone Fan
    Since you have good Verizon Signal, why don't you try one of the following Smartphones:

Kyocera 7135
    Samsung i700 (PocketPC Phone Edition)

or the much more limited Samsung i600.
    A few problems with those for me:
    * Cost. All of these phones from Verizon are expensive. The only place you can Verizon phones if from Verizon or Radio Shack, it seems, and the PDA phones are always super expensive.
    * Kyocera 7135 runs Palm OS4 and is low-res. Too ancient for my wants/needs. Probably good enough for my wife.
    * Samsung i700 could be doable for me, but it's only PPC 2002 and the camera quality is awful. Again, it's expensive.
    * Samsung i600 is probably too limited for me. It's Smartphone 2002 (2003 is already out). It could be good enough for my wife.

Some added comments about my wants/needs: I'd like to be able to do complete remote updating of my sites (not that I really have a need to do that right now). That means comfortable typing of a lot of text (though any of these devices you mentioned should work with a foldable keyboard, so that need is met). I also would like the ability to upload images. The cameras on all of these (and the Treo 600) are pretty poor, so ideally I'd like to maybe carry something like the Optio S which uses SD cards, do some pre-upload editing (cropping, resizing, etc.) and transfer the images up.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    The Kyocera 7135 does have an SD slot.

There may not be a good solution for you.

Can you get T-Mobile? If so, then a good Palm Tungsten with Bluetooth and a bluetooth phone may be an answer for you.

The Nokia 6310i (you will probably need to buy from Expansys.com) is great for bluetooth internet access from palm or from a laptop. Much better than sony.

If you need verizon, look at the Motorola 270. There is a bluetooth battery/adapter that allows network access. This phone may be hard to find.

Originally posted by Scott R
    A few problems with those for me:
    * Cost. All of these phones from Verizon are expensive. The only place you can Verizon phones if from Verizon or Radio Shack, it seems, and the PDA phones are always super expensive.
    * Kyocera 7135 runs Palm OS4 and is low-res. Too ancient for my wants/needs. Probably good enough for my wife.
    * Samsung i700 could be doable for me, but it's only PPC 2002 and the camera quality is awful. Again, it's expensive.
    * Samsung i600 is probably too limited for me. It's Smartphone 2002 (2003 is already out). It could be good enough for my wife.

Some added comments about my wants/needs: I'd like to be able to do complete remote updating of my sites (not that I really have a need to do that right now). That means comfortable typing of a lot of text (though any of these devices you mentioned should work with a foldable keyboard, so that need is met). I also would like the ability to upload images. The cameras on all of these (and the Treo 600) are pretty poor, so ideally I'd like to maybe carry something like the Optio S which uses SD cards, do some pre-upload editing (cropping, resizing, etc.) and transfer the images up.

Scott
    Smartphone Fan, thanks for all the suggestions. Rest assured, I'm no newbie and am well versed in all of the options out there. There is no ideal device for me. What's especially sad/frustrating is that what I want has been technically feasible for over a year, so it's not like I have unrealistic requirements.

Scott
    [i] (snip) If I get to keep the unlimited Vision, I'd like to keep it, but the latest rumblings are that they're going to try to take that away from us in a couple of months. I wish I could get a definite answer on this, because that's the bottom line for me.

(snip)

Scott [/B]
    Can you give us more detail on that? Who is "us"?
    Originally posted by newtreouser

Can you give us more detail on that? Who is "us"?
    One person wonders aloud if Sprint will change people's Vision from unlimited to limited and next thing you know it's the gospel truth. Welcome to the Internet.

No one knows what will happen to those with T608 and unlimited Vision. Probably nothing.
    "Us" would be all of us T608 users. Check out www.sprintpcsinfo.com or www.sprintusers.com . The former has a forum dedicated to the T608. The latter has a lot of good posts as well, but they're intermingled with posts about other phones/topics.

Scott
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra
    Probably nothing.
    If you have insider info on this, please let me know. Feel free to PM me.

Scott
    Originally posted by Scott R
    If you have insider info on this, please let me know. Feel free to PM me.

Scott
    Sorry, but I have no insider info. But I doubt Sprint would enforce any restrictions on the T608. This is a phone that will be used almost exclusively by business professionals, so it's unlikely that Sprint would risk offending this subset of customers. I'm returning my Treo 600 tomorrow and will go with a Bluetooth phone/PDA for the reasons I've already stated. I'll probably get a T610 instead of a T608 (better battery life, phone is not abandonware, useable outside USA, avoids ever having to deal with Sprint again). The main problem is T-Mobile's coverage isn't the greatest in my area. If I find out anything further about unlimited data with the T608, I'll let you know.

I wish you and everyone else here sticking with the Treo 600 the best of luck. This forum is the most amazing source of info around and I'd like to thank the posters for sharing their knowledge with us all. The thread in which someone discovered how to recover the telephone call time info (purposely hidden by Sprint) is the perfect example of how an online forum like this can be so helpful.

I hope Handspring quickly addresses the issues people have had with the Treo 600 (or else Sony, Samsung, et. al. bring out a better quality competitor).
    Last edited by The Chupacabra; 01/01/2004 at 05:18 PM.
    Originally posted by sysvr4
    I'm also curious how the two device adopters here turn out. For myself, I'm looking at three options:

1) Sprint T600
    2) GSM (tmo) T600
    3) Sony PEG-UX50 + SE T616

For my money, the T608 is not an option simply because of the data limit. That's a deal-breaker.

As for carrying two devices, I don't have a big problem with that. I've carried a Verizon Motorola phone and a Handspring Prism together for years. I have the handspring portfolio case for the prism that doubles as my wallet, so the actual carrying is no trouble.

Problem 1) I have a tendency to leave that wallet/portfolio case whereever I set it :-) I carry very little cash, and the prism can be replaced fairly cheaply. But, it would make for a bad day to leave wallet + ux50 somewhere!

Problem 2) Batteries. The UX50 battery life is bad (3 hrs or so with wifi and/or bluetooth usage). The SE T616 isn't much better at 3 hrs talk time, less if using blue tooth. I can imagine many a situation in which one would have sufficient charge and the other wouldn't and I'd be SOL. Both of my devices now fare significantly better than that on battery, so again, just beause I can't carry the devices doesn't mean it's a good solution.

Problem 3) Screen brightness. Neither the UX50 nor the T608/616 have as bright a screen as the T600. If you check the reviews, both are somewhat difficult to use in the daylight (the ux50 more so than the 616).

On the upside, I can REALLY see a use for the wifi on the UX50. At home, office, airports, I'd love to have wifi instead of data access through my carrier. This isn't a deal breaker though (but damn close!)

As for bluetooth, I really don't get all the hubub on this forum about lack of BT on the T600. Most people are upset they can't use their laptops with it. Well, if you're going to be carrying a laptop, what's so hard about carrying one extra cable for a data connection through your t600? I suppose theoretically you could use another mobile device with a better browser (like the ux50) and use bluetooth thru it, but that seems like overkill to me. IMHO, bluetooth would be nice, but given that you have a converged unit with data and phone capability already, the major need for bluetooth has been eliminated. (yeah, I know, many of you disagree)

So that's my thoughts on the two devices (as proposed here) vs. one (t600). If any of you early adopters of the two device solution care to refute or acknowledge the problems listed above, I'd love to hear it :-)

Jeff
    Regarding your "problems":

1) Can't help you with remembering to keep your equipment, but at least now it's getting easier to carry separates. The CLIE UX-50 is actually fairly small (smaller than a Palm III) and you can also now get tiny Bluetooth phones.

2) 3 hours with Wi-Fi is not too shabby. You can also get an external battery for the UX-50 that triples battery time: Extended battery

3) Yes, the UX-50 screen is not the brightest around. I expect its successor will have a screen more similar to the one found in the CLIE NZ and NX lines. Despite this, in my experience, it's quite useable in daylight. I don't know about you but I actually found the screen on the Treo 600 to be too bright. Using it at night and especially in total darkness is actually uncomfortable, as there appears to be no way to turn the brightness down lower than the level provided by the option button.
    Originally posted by Fixup
    I'm posting this post using iPaq 4350 (the one with a keyboard) via T608
    I'm jealous as I've been dreaming about the setup you have. Glad to hear that it works. Last visit to a CompUSA they had their WIFI up and I played with both the 4350 and Tungsten C. I liked both. Pity the Tungsten C doesn't do Bluetooth as well. But even if it did it couldn't do streaming windows media like the 4350 can. I started a movie trailer at 300kbps, showed it to the CompUSA salesman, who was just as impressed as me. But as great as these two devices are with WIFI, only the 4350 would be suitable as a full time replacement as it has internal bluetooth as well. How long have we heard the bs from companies saying "well, we wanted to put both in, but the radios conflicted". Well, HP got it done! Why can't PalmOne? 8,000 T608's purchased on an obscure day about a device that few knew about, fewer were interested in, and so on? I bet most of that amount were purchased by one person who will make a $100 profit on each one selling on ebay so 7,000 phones would yeild a $700,000 profit, pretty nice, but risky as the upfront money would be $1.4 million. Who's got that kind of cash sitting around? Plus, say Sprint out of the blue releases a bluetooth phone in a few months that can do the new SMS while it's uncertain whether the T608 will do the new SMS. Then all of a sudden the value of those remaining T608's on ebay would decrease. I'll be following this and other threads with interest to see if any such 3 meg limit comes to pass. Even though I dream about better solutions, I'm still happy with my Treo300 (but if I dropped it and it quit working, it's nice to have plan "B" worked out already).
    David
    Originally posted by drw
    8,000 T608's purchased on an obscure day about a device that few knew about, fewer were interested in, and so on? I bet most of that amount were purchased by one person who will make a $100 profit on each one selling on ebay...

Are you sure 8000 were sold? The Sprint telesales department advised me they were unable to access their inventory updates and had no clue how many were sold. I believe most sales went to individuals who have been waiting for this phone for over a year. But no doubt several people bought one or two extra units either as backups or to sell for profit later. It would be funny to see a better CDMA Bluetooth phone released a few months later, but I don't expect it to happen.
    Originally posted by drw
    Plus, say Sprint out of the blue releases a bluetooth phone in a few months that can do the new SMS while it's uncertain whether the T608 will do the new SMS. Then all of a sudden the value of those remaining T608's on ebay would decrease.
    Just to clarify, the T608 will most likely NOT be capable of MO-SMS. Thus I would not buy this phone if you want to be grandfathered with unlimited sms in the future. Secondly, there's already rumors of another BT enabled CDMA phone from Samsung called the SPH-E3700 that was recently revealed. This would fit into earlier rumors discussed on hofo's etc about an upcoming BT handset from Samsung...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  13.    #73  
    Regarding the Samsung SPH-E3700: I have no confidance with Samsung phones - bad reception and very buggy. Beside the BT, what made me decide immediately to keep the T608 was its outstanding reception. I purchased Treo 300 a year ago after trying all Samsung phones. My T608's reception is even better than my Treo 300.

David, yes, I'm still in love with 4350 and T608 after a week. Beside the fantastic screen, BT and WiFi, one thing surperised me very much is: 4350 is truly one-hand operatable!!! Besides the application launch buttons, there are MANY other keys to minumize, if not entirely, the use of stylus: function, tab, Widnows, context, task, and backspace (delete). I have not tried all the applications, but at least I can do Outlook (including email), PIE, Word and Excel (those are the apps I use) with just one hand without using stylus at all!!!

For example, when do email, all I need is to press the context button and then select "Send/Receive", " Delete", "Reply", etc. To switch Inboxes, I use Fn+Up/Dn. When browse web, I can highlight URL links by pressing Fn+Up/Dn, or use the single Tab key to go to next link. I can use the Del key to go back to the previous page.

What I can say? Treo designers did a fantastic job to implement one-hand operation with very restricted keys. Awards go absolutely to them! However, 4350 handles one-hand operation better and easier, by adding far more extra keys.

The backlit keyboard is very good, as good as Treo's, if not better. The only thing missing is that I cannot type the Fn key twice to hold it and thus I must press this Fn key before every number input. There is a caps lock though, but number lock is far more important. You see, iPaq designers are not near thoughtful as Treo's. Hopefully someone will make a program to lock the number keys.

One thing Palm and Mac users will miss: 4350 can open network shared folders via either BT or WiFi. I cannot say enough how cool this is for file transfer. Besides, you can do remote sync via BT or WiFi.

Oh yeh, did I mention the super long battery life?

What I can say? I no longer hold my breath for the next Treo and all I wish is a 640x480 screen (like the one in Toshiba e805) in the next 4350.
    1) Can't help you with remembering to keep your equipment, but at least now it's getting easier to carry separates. The CLIE UX-50 is actually fairly small (smaller than a Palm III) and you can also now get tiny Bluetooth phones.
    I'm curious, how is it you carry the equipment? Maybe there's a better way to carry that would mitigate this problem.

2) 3 hours with Wi-Fi is not too shabby. You can also get an external battery for the UX-50 that triples battery time: Extended battery
    It's not "too shabby", but it's not good either. The Apple powerbook series laptops routinely get double that battery life (stock), and they do a whole lot more The extended battery is a possibility... do you know if it adds to the size?

I don't know about you but I actually found the screen on the Treo 600 to be too bright. Using it at night and especially in total darkness is actually uncomfortable, as there appears to be no way to turn the brightness down lower than the level provided by the option button.
    I just bought my first one to test, so I can't say yet. Perhaps that will be the case, but I've had phones/pdas I couldn't use outside in the past, and it's amazingly frustrating.

Jeff
    Originally posted by sysvr4

It's not "too shabby", but it's not good either. The Apple powerbook series laptops routinely get double that battery life (stock), and they do a whole lot more The extended battery is a possibility... do you know if it adds to the size?

Jeff
    the extended battery makes it about half as thick....but it is still pocketable.

but i kept the extra battery in one pocket and the ux50 in another....sans case....when I had my ux50. never did use it with BT.

i am in the process of having my t608 returned though....didn't like the 3mb limit on data....and i will but a 2nd treo600 instead.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Originally posted by sysvr4 I'm curious, how is it you carry the equipment? Maybe there's a better way to carry that would mitigate this problem.
    PDA = in lab coat at work. Traditionally, I have just carried a small cell phone at other times. If I think I'll need a PDA outside work hours, I keep it in a pocket.

Originally posted by sysvr4 It's not "too shabby", but it's not good either. The Apple powerbook series laptops routinely get double that battery life (stock), and they do a whole lot more The extended battery is a possibility... do you know if it adds to the size?
    But we're not talking about 6 pound laptops. Three hours of Wi-Fi or Bluetooth on a five ounce PDA is adequate for my needs. Did you look at the link I posted? The size increase with extended battery is around 50%.

Originally posted by sysvr4 I just bought my first one to test, so I can't say yet. Perhaps that will be the case, but I've had phones/pdas I couldn't use outside in the past, and it's amazingly frustrating.

Jeff
    I found the Treo 600 almost blinding at night, even on the lower settings. Worked well as a flashlight though...
    Originally posted by southbound747
    i am in the process of having my t608 returned though....didn't like the 3mb limit on data....and i will but a 2nd treo600 instead.
    If you haven't yet returned it, please let me know if you'd be willing to sell your T608. Sprint is now sold out and they doubt they'll get any more in.
    sysvr4,

I used the Treo 600 before ordering the T608 for use with a Tungsten T3. The T3/T608 combo was fabulous in every regard except for the lack of key/thumbboard. That's when I bought a UX.

This combination is unbeatable. With CodeDiver, you can take many apps not designed for the landscape layout and make them the full width of the screen. The BT connection is even faster than the T3 and destroys surfing on the Treo. With regards to battery life, I have two for the T608, one of which was purchased brand new for less than $15 including shipping. The UX is pretty wretched with battery life when you are using wi-fi. You won't even get the three hours that you posted in a previous post. However, with bluetooth, I can run through both batteries on the T608 before the UX is done. Furthermore, you can buy an extended battery for the UX with three times the amount of juice. The keyboard is so much better and usable than the Treo 600. I could go on, but I won't. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Don't flame me for posting this. I just wanted to help this poster make an informed decision. The ultimate device is relative to its user. I like the T608/UX50 combo, but I appreciate the Treo for what it is also.
    FYI for those interested...HP sells a snap-on thumbboard for the h2215 or h4155 which offers nearly identical function/feel as the one built into the h4355. I bought it for my h4155, played with it very briefly, and decided that it's probably still too small for me. I liked the tactile feel and, as Fixup mentioned, the ability to do nearly everything without tapping on the screen. However, I found that sometimes you had to push two different buttons and what I thought one button would do on-screen turned out doing something different, leaving me to think that I would be much faster tapping on the screen to do that particular thing. However, it's quite possible that if I forced myself to use it for a week, I'd memorize all of the shortcuts.

Still, like I said, I think it's probably too small for me. I'm wordy (as many of you probably know), and I can type very, very fast on a full-size keyboard and feel far too hindered on such tiny thumbboards. I'm thinking of getting one of those foldable full-size keyboards.

Scott
    As expected, Sprint's telesales contractor sold their allotment of phones (probably around 5,000 of the supposed 10,000 phones manufactured by Sony Ericsson last spring) in a little over a week. They doubt they'll be getting any more and aren't even taking backorders. I'll bet they could have easily sold another 10,000 of these phones in another month if they had them. It's unlikely we'll see another CDMA phone with decent RF and reasonable quality for at least another year. I should have bought 50 of them for eBaying.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234