Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Originally posted by southbound747
    with a 3 mb monthly limit with sprint you sure won't be doing too much websurfing. well enjoy your bt phone with sprint if that is what you want.....

i will stick with my unlimited data personally. what is the point of having a hi res screen for surfing the web and viewing nice pictures but being limited to only 3 mb? kinda defeats the whole purpose doesn't it?
    Well, Sprint has been saying for a year now that they don't allow modem use with the $10 vision plan. As far as I know, there are only few people so far got a ring from sprint and these guys really abused the net. If you just do web browsing and email, you are not going to hit the 1GB trigger.

I have been using my Treo 300 as modem for a year. Now I simply changed the phone and I cant see why Sprint will suddenly add a 3MB limit to me. If they do so, they'll loose 10000 subscribers. I dont care about the press release. When I ordered the phone and activated it, nobody from Sprint told me about the 3MB limit.

Put the BT feature aside, T608 is the best Sprint phone IMO. Small, light, bar, internal antenna, speaker phone, palm-alike PDA, top RF reception...
    Last edited by Fixup; 12/25/2003 at 12:59 PM.
    http://pdabuzz.com/desktopdefault.as...=30&itemid=125

check this out to see about 3mb limit...from pdabuzz.com
  3.    #23  
    Did you see this line in bold in above link:

"Unlimited PCS Vision is alive and well -- and, available for the T608!"
    cool. i am happy for you. in the original announcement it said the opposite. cheers...and merry xmas.
    still....that link is no clearer now than before. while in bold it says it is unlimited, in yellow, it says it isn't. i hope for your sake it is unlimited.
    "Apparently, our original PRPRPR $announcement$ $from$ $Jenny$ $Stevens$ $at$ $PCS$ $Digital$ $Relations$ $incorrectly$ $included$ $this$ $information$ $citing$ $the$ $Unlimited$ $PCS$ $Vision$ $access$. &$quot$;
    well that still isn't clear to me....which info about unlimited is incorrect? that you get it or not? the original posting said 3mb only. the updated one mentions unlimited. leaves me confused. and i am generally not thought to be stupid....
    You're not alone. That article is confusing as telling identical twins apart.

I have a treo600, a sidekick, a sanyo scp-5150 and some corny lg (work phone).

After reading this article I'm actually thinking of dumping the treo600 for a se 610. I have a toshiba e750 for pda duties.
    Usual Suspects Entertainment
    We make the crowd move.
    www.djnyce.com
  9.    #29  
    franknitty69 ,

If your area are well covered by Tmobile, you won't be disaappointed by T610.

There are mainly two disadvantages of carrying two devices. One is the hassle of cable. With BT, this is non issue. The other is the hassle of charging too devices. T610 has a super long batt life - 14 hours of talk time. I can use T610 as a BT modem for a whole day long. Even when the battery icon turns into red (very low), the phone still continues to work for more than a hour. So, you never need to charge T610 in the middle of a day.

T610 and most PDAs use 5V chargers; so you only need to carry one charger, with some tip converters.

Without these hassles, I see no reason you must limit yourself to a single unit.

Again, if Treo 600 can handle all your job, it is still the best integrated device. No question about that. But, if you still need a laptop or another PDA, you'll love T610/608.
    The only way to get T608 is to call 1-866-PCS-AUTO.
    This is true. I just ordered one this morning. 12/26

On my first call they sent me to business sales, who did not have it in their system.

I called back and used my residential account to purchase. Paid $219 and change.

There is one on ebay right now at $300 with a few days left!

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I used a combination BT T68i and Tungsten T for a painfull year on ATT. I travel all over the country and ATT coverage was god awfull anytime you leave the big city, but were not talking about carriers here.

Having to carry two units was a pain in the ***. Just to make a simple phone call you have to balance the phone on your shoulder then find and pull out your palm, open the palm slider, fumble to get out the stylus then start writing in the contacts name, tap on dial with the stylus. Really you need 4 hands just to try to make a simple phone call. Don't even think about doing it while you are driving or walking. Yeah you can get one of the nerdy BT headsets, but there is one big probem. If you use you Palm to dial you often loose your headset BT connection, so you have to tap dial, then hit the little button the headset all while juggling the palm. Sometimes you get so busy dialing and then trying to put the palm back away that you don't realize that you lost you BT connection with your Jabra and the call reciever is saying WTF and has alreay hung up on you.

Another thing I noticed is that BT really slows down the data conection. It seems that BT can have limited bandwidth depending on condions. Also if your phone is stuggling with its connection it seems to also slow down or loose the BT connection.

Sure you have a nice screen on a T3 but thats it. It huge and you have to use that dam stylus while balancing your phone. Unless you have 3-4 hands the Treo600 rocks. I just love not having to use the stylus after having a stylus in my hand for the last 8 years. I thought I was very very fast at Graffiti writting, but I am already faster with the Treo600 keyboard. I don't know about the new BT phone but the Treo600 is a way better phone than the T68i even if you forget that it is also a loaded palm.

Comming from someone who has tried it both ways, the Treo600 is by far the best solution. 100 times better. :-)
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    well does anyone have the definitive word yet about the data plan? is it unlimited or just 3mb?
  13.    #33  
    RC46,
    You did not read my posts. The whole point is using T610/608 as a phone and a PDA. You no longer use a Palm for PDA and you can use T610 and T608 for contacts, calandar, tasks etc. As I said in my earlier posts, T610/608 can handle all the organizer job like a Palm.

If you still need a Palm to manage your contacts etc., of course you'll have all the troubles you mentioned.

With T610/608, you use a second device just for web and email etc. There are many PDAs, and laptops of course, can do these things way better than Treo 600 can.

Again and again, if Treo 600 can do all your work, nothing beats Treo. But, if you ever feel you need a laptop or so for some serious work (such as remote desktop, full-width web browsing, etc.), then T610/608 is the way to go.

All after all, if Treo had BT, all other phones, PDAs and PDA phones would have become trash. But until then, a $0-200 T610/608 is a good temporary solution while you are waiting.

The bottom line of bottom line: get a T608 if you still can. You see, it is already selling for over $300 on ebay! You'll be surprised how well T610/608 handle the PDA functions like a Treo and how much better than a Treo you do email and web browsing on a better PDA or laptop.
    Last edited by Fixup; 12/26/2003 at 12:54 PM.
    I'm gonna jump in here, since I feel like I have something to add. I'm a Canadian Treo 270 User who got fed up waiting for the 600 model, and I'm now using a Sony Ericsson T616 (GSM) and a Palm T2...

Having to carry two units was a pain in the ***. Just to make a simple phone call you have to balance the phone on your shoulder then find and pull out your palm, open the palm slider, fumble to get out the stylus then start writing in the contacts name, tap on dial with the stylus. Really you need 4 hands just to try to make a simple phone call.
    Unless, of course, you transfer your contacts to your BT phone, or in the case of the SE T610/616, use voice dialing. This feature sucked on my old Ericsson T39, but works like a charm on my new unit.

Another thing I noticed is that BT really slows down the data conection. It seems that BT can have limited bandwidth depending on condions.
    I've never noticed that. In fact, I've found the Palm Web Pro browser is able to load pages much faster and deal with java much better. On the down side, it can't display WAP pages, but then, I've got a WAP browser in my phone for that!
    Originally posted by southbound747
    well does anyone have the definitive word yet about the data plan? is it unlimited or just 3mb?

Just make sure you already have an unlimited Vision package before activating the phone. I've been advised by Sprint reps that the data on shared phones is also shared, so since some people may be adding the T608 as a second phone on an unlimited Vision package, this would further confuse the issue and create ill will towards Sprint. I believe Sprint could probably configure things so they could tell more about individual usage patterns, but it's probably not worth their while.

Since most of the people buying these phones are going to be realtively mature business types (rather than the bling bling KaZaA KrOwD), Sprint will look the other way because we won't abuse the system by downloading kracked kopies of Photoshop or trading MP3s 24 hrs/day.

Comprende?
    My 2 cents:
    Let me get this correct, if the main purpose of not getting a $400 Treo 600 (that seems to do most everything pretty well) and purchasing a $200 phone(with BT) + $400 PDA is to surf the net on a high res screen and get email? BT is cool but, to carry around 2 devices just so that I can surf the internet? I carried the 2 devices around for a while, it was a pain in the a$$, especially for men. If you want to carry around 2 devices because that is what you like, than, more power to you. I love my T600, it does everything I need it to do plus some. Yes, it's missing some features that I would really like. If I want to surf the net on a high res screen, I go home where I have a 19" flat panel monitor and high speed broadband and surf there. I think some people need to get a life.
    well in my case it is to add a second line. i already have my account with sprint with my treo 600. i added the bt phone for $5.00 extra monthly, for 3 mb of data. plus i can share my 2000 voice minutes. seemed reasonable. since i gave my son my bt capable ux 50, makes sense he should be able to send email with it.

but i agree....the treo 600....single device solution is generally the way to go.
  18.    #38  
    Originally posted by Facci
    If I want to surf the net on a high res screen, I go home where I have a 19" flat panel monitor and high speed broadband and surf there. I think some people need to get a life.
    When you are lying down on the bed in a hotel room, you don't have a 19" monitor and high speed broadband (if you have you'll pay big bucks). But you have a laptop. With a BT phone, you can leave the phone on the desk while you surfing in the bed.

but i agree....the treo 600....single device solution is generally the way to go.
    Very correct, and this single device should have BT.

No BT, no thank you.
    When you are standing in the subway, pulling out your laptop can be cumbersome, but you have your treo 600 and can surf the net one-handed and zero lapped.

Clearly, if you are going to be so dogmatic about bluetooth, this phone is not for you. What the phone does exceedingly well is allows me to leave my PDA at home, because it does everything that my previous PDA did exceedingly well. So if you are looking for a convergence phone to merge your palmos PDA and cellphone, this phone is for you. If you ABSOLUTELY require bluetooth, this phone clearly won't work.
    I'll agree with the last post and toss in an opinion as to Handspring's likely thoughts regarding BT.
    For everyone who still can't believe that HS left off BT, here's what I'm thinking. Since so many (and fixup is included) view BT as the pathway to allowing their phone to enable their laptop access to carrier's high-speed internet service, I think that HS did NOT view that as a major user need for the Treo. My point is that HS views the 600 as a standalone device (and I have to agree), and that MOST 600 users don't need/want to use the 600 as just a laptop modem access device. I mean after all, I use my 600 to REPLACE my laptop when I'm out of the office. The LAST thing I want to do is lug along a PC. My goal with the 600 is to lighten my load and use ONLY the 600 for my email, internet, IM, phone, books, games, etc - it does all that so I don't NEED my PC and don't NEED a BT connection for that PC. I would bet that was what HS was thinking when they decided 'no BT'. I have no perceived use or need for BT in the way I use the device. maybe I've just drunk all the Handspring kool-aid....
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast