Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    can anyone confirm that they bough the adapter to hook up regular headphones at radio shack. if so anyone know what the part number or description on the box was.

my local radio shack rep seems to think it will convert one headphone into a mic.

is the adapter on the treo website special in some way. i know someone said u can get this thing at radio shack.

please let me know
    i bought mine at radio shack. the part # on the front is 274-373
    the handspring adapter has a nice angle to it. the radioshack one is straight. also, you have to trim the radioshack one to fit (takes 10 seconds)
    I bought mine from radio shack, saved me time and money. It does only really take 10 seconds to trim and it still looks good afterwards. It is a bit big though, but works great for my needs none the less.
    After doing research in the posts I came to the conclusion that it is far too risky to 'adapt' the Radio Shack adapter to fit the 600. You risk electrical shorts, stress inside the unit and the problem of the adapter being straight that places un-tested stress on the phones input jack.

I decided to hit ebay and picked up the OEM adapter (with 90 deg angle) for $7.98. This includes shipping and should be here in 3 days. The vendor is "dans_cellular". I have had positive experiences with this guy and his shipping is extremely fast.

Dont risk it. Wait a couple of days for the delivery....
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    i need it for this saturday..gonna be in san juan for 10 days starting saturday and i need travel tunes.

so i will adapt the adapter for now. i got til ljan 30 to return it no questions so i ll risk it.

you know this might make me sound under a rock but i just played with the new ipod for the first time ever. geez its small and sweet. im such a gadget junkie to have not played with this is thing before..is a little odd.

who was tryin to compare the ipod to the treo600..hahaha
    its like comparing the lord of the rings to xmas vacation..or something like that.
    You should be fine with the Radio Shack adapter. I've been using it for a while in the car with no problems.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    It's up to each person, of course, but I have 3 of the Radio Shack ones, and they are all fine. Trim job? No problem at all - no issues with shorts or anything; just a small removal of plastic, and you can't even tell it was done. Stress on the jack? Nope, not that I can tell - just like any other earbud-type jack.

All good. Dan's stuff is good, too - I have a bunch of things from him. I just wanted a few of the adapters cheaply and quickly, and Radio Shack fit the bill quite nicely.
    Help me out here- bought the Radio shack adapter this weekend, cuts in an out all the time. You refer to "trimming" the adapter; trim where? How much? What is the issue that makes this adapter problematic? Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by sclarkjohn
    Help me out here- bought the Radio shack adapter this weekend, cuts in an out all the time. You refer to "trimming" the adapter; trim where? How much? What is the issue that makes this adapter problematic? Thanks in advance.
    It is more of a problem with Treo itself rather than the RadioShack adapter in that the jack is recessed far too much to prevent many of such adapters to be pushed home (right in).

What you have to do is to trim the rubber bit above the plug that goes into the Treo so that you can plug it in completely.

This is not to say that the RadioShack one is ideal for such use.
    http://pc-mobile.net