1.    #1  
    Hey all -

Just discovered this last night and thought Id pass the tip along. Up until today Ive thought that the camera on the T600 was crap and useless because all of my pics have had the BDOD (Blue Dots Of Death).

Well, just before I was about to delete a few more I took last night I went into Ifanview and converted a picture to greyscale. The results where somewhat amazing to me.

This: Original w/BDOD

Became this: Converted to greyscale

And finally when converted it to 320 X 240: Final Image

Does this possibly mean that the camera itself is probably OK and that its simply a software issue? If so, does that in turn mean that an upgrade is probably in teh works for the BDOD problem?!?
    I have had similar thoughts, that the problem was not with the luma, but with some kind of arithmetic overflow on the chroma channels... your results are encouraging!
    Regarding the dots, I have just noticed that they always show up on the treo screen in the same place. That may point us to the fact that they are not generated by the images/light coming into the camera. I focused on two specific dots and going in and out of the camera app, looking at different things, they show up in the exact same spot.

Just my two dots.

L
  4.    #4  
    Actually, this is really weird. If you look at the original picture, you will notice that the cat is white and the dots are much less prevelant around her.

The rest of the room is under the exact same lighting, but the carpet, walls, etc are darker, and THAT is where the dots are most prevelant.

Its almost as it the white cat corrected whatever the internal problem is in the software which causes the BDOD in the first place.
    Nice idea! I am going to convert my photos to see how they look.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Originally posted by ttgchicago
    Does this possibly mean that the camera itself is probably OK and that its simply a software issue? If so, does that in turn mean that an upgrade is probably in teh works for the BDOD problem?!?
    I think you're probably correct. In fact, there's already been rumors that PalmOne will release a software patch sometime in early 2004 to address the camera software among other things like voice recorder API etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    If you look closely the blue dots are still there in the black and white version. They became gray dots that are masked by the color and texture of the gray carpet. If you look closely at the b&w version, you'll notice that the resolution of the carpet texture is fuzzier where the blue dots were most apparent in the color version. The fuzzier resolution is the gray dots, which are difficult to see because they blend in to the picture, but are still there.

Why they don't show up on the white cat is beyond me.
    How do you convert an image to gray scale???
    > How do you convert an image to gray scale???

-- http://www.engr.utk.edu/eccsw/Grokki....0/node54.html
    since someone asked how to convert to greyscale i figured it might also not be unreasonable that someone might want to know where to get irfanview, which is a great free program i have been using for years...

http://download.com.com/3000-2192-10...ml?tag=lst-0-1
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Thanks for posting this ... Merry Christmas!