1.    #1  
    So I got my two cradles (home/office) and I'm a little perturbed that the cradle doesn't (or at least can't) get its power to charge the Treo from the USB connection.

I have a USB sync/charge cable, so it's obviously not difficult to wire this up. To test, I plugged my usb sync/charge cable into the USB port on my computer and plugged it into the power connector on the cradle - tada! - charging Treo...

So, what do I have to do (besides get another sync/charge cable! arg.) to get the cradle to pick up power from the USB port?
    I would have never thought if plugging the sync-charge cable into the cradle. But you're right, it works fine.

As for what to do, I'd suggest doing to ebay. Sync / charge cables are available for about 6 bucks, and AC adapters to plug into the cradle are maybe $10. I've ordered from Dan's cellular accessories on ebay with good results.

At those prices, it hardly seems worth hacking the cable. I also suspect using an AC charger will charge the Treo faster than the USB cable.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  3.    #3  
    I suppose. But I've bought so much crap already (cradles, cable, case, stereo adapter, etc...) and it's just something else to lug around when the cradle could do it all by itself.

It's just one of those things that SHOULD be, but isn't.
    I bought the Handspring travelling cable with my T600 and encountered a nasty surprise - the Treo draws more current than my Inspiron 600m want to deliver.

On XP, go into device manager and look at the properties of the USB Root Hub. Mine says I have 500mA per USB port. If my Treo drops below about 75% battery, it will exceed this figure, which leads to nasty error messages, or once, a blue screen.

Obviously not all PCs will have this limitation; power management was a priority in the design of my particular laptop, so it may not have the power capacity of other machines.
  5.    #5  
    I noticed that my laptop battery would drain considerably faster when charging the Treo. Like watching the gas gauge needle on a big V8 during acceleration...

But with a desktop where most people would use a cradle, I don't think this would be a limitation.
    So I was tryin to jury rig the same sort of setup...

I bought two cradles and a super USB hot-sync cord that has a series of adapters that accept the USB plug...a car charger adapter, and an ac adapter. It was my hope that I could use the ac adapter on the end of the USB plug on the cradle...

Alas, I am afraid to try it out for fear of frying my treo...

It worked in theory...but in practice I have yet to determine...
    Technology Rules!
    LauncherX
    MyToday
    Fileman
    BackupMan
    Great Combo!
    Originally posted by dune
    I noticed that my laptop battery would drain considerably faster when charging the Treo. Like watching the gas gauge needle on a big V8 during acceleration...
    ha ha .. you think this is a problem? I have a friend with an O2 XDA II and when he plugs his XDA II to his notebook via a sync/charger cable, the battery level on the XDA II starts falling - kinda like the PDA charging the notebook instead of the other way around!!