1.    #1  
    I know many people have written about how abominably slow it is to transfer filers to the SD card via hotsync. However, from what I can tell this is some sort of hardware/software bug and not any technical limitation.

If I start a transfer of an mp3 file it will take a good long time but when I have interupted this transfer well before it's normal finish I found the whole file had indeed been saved on my SD card.

Have others had this experience? Any ideas what it means?
    I had the same problem with my SD card. If you first format the card in the Treo and then try to copy files to it from your computer, the speed will be completely normal. I don't know what it means, but that solved the problem for me.
  3.    #3  
    Hmm, could you give me an idea what speed normal is for you (or anyone else for that matter)?

It took me 400 minutes to download 86 megabytes. This is after I tried reformating and since then I haven't checked if the file gets entierly downloaded and then pauses for some time.
    get thee a card reader or card export from palmgear.com.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    File transfer should be just as fast as when you copy a file to your hard drive on your computer. 86 meg should take maybe one minute, much faster than you quote. Did you format the card in the Treo slot? Beyond that I don't know what to tell you.
  6.    #6  
    Whoever suggested the card export/card gate. I love you!! Several hours last night of google searching failed to turn this up.......and now I can get all my files loaded before I leave...how wonderfull.

It is sooo much faster. I knew it was a software issue. Now maybe someone can explain why hotsync (and similar programs) are sooo slow.
    Originally posted by quale
    Whoever suggested the card export/card gate. I love you!! Several hours last night of google searching failed to turn this up.......and now I can get all my files loaded before I leave...how wonderfull.

It is sooo much faster. I knew it was a software issue. Now maybe someone can explain why hotsync (and similar programs) are sooo slow.
    Yeah, Card export is nice. To answer your other question, the reason hotsync is slow is because of the repetitive and redundant error checking that takes place during the hotsync process in order to reduce mistakes and errors. For example I've had a couple instances where files were incorrectly loaded on the SD card via card reader etc, but this has never happenned via hotsync....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions