Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am about to receive my treo 600 and am just going through making sure I can have all the software I need.

I've noticed there have been several long threads on problems with alarm clocks. I need an alarm clock that is VERY reliable. I have seen the following programs listed (and potential problems):

Alarming -- has been recommended, but I have not seen any comments on potential problems.

Bob's Alarm -- highly recommended, works with keyguard (recent versions), but apparently has a problem with sms messages coming though and blocking the alarm. There is also mention that the low battery warning blocks the alarm.

Multiclock -- many recommendations, apparently works with keyguard, sms messages also stack behind the alarm.

BigClock -- works in conjunction with Disable Buttons, but not with built in keyguard.

Megaclock: previous versions had a problem if the display is off, 1.92 has fixed this. No mention of problems with keyguard, sms, other warning messages.

Another solution is using LookAtMe in conjuction with pocket tunes. This apparently works with keyguard. Again, other issues that have been mentioned with Bob's Alarm have not been mentioned with this combo.

Finally, it seems that setting the alarm in the built-in datebook works fine.

So, here is my question -- I want an alarm that I can set and forget (and not worry about). When the time comes, I want it to wake me up. I'm not looking for a clock per se, don't need chronographs, world time, analog display, big digital display in 256 colors with your choice of font.

Has anyone discovered other situtations (similar to SMS messages popping up or system warning messages) where the alarm is stacked behind other windows/warnings?

How about conflicts with other system volume settings? If I put the phone in silent mode, does this override any audible alarm settings?

Thanks,

David
    I use Bob's Alarm and Bob is addressing many OS5/Treo600 specific issues. The program has come a long way and appears nothing like it did three months ago. As for reliability - it's in beta and due to addressing issues, that is a concern. Each release addresses a problem and of course, new ones pop up as users ask for more options. I have used it since I got my Treo 600 (an early buyer) and have had some releases that did not do well and others that were outstanding. The beta release I am using at this time is an example of reliabilty. Support is excellent - responsive and quick.

I have had no problems with SMS or low battery concerns.

Big Clock I have used in the past.

Ben

Originally posted by djwang
    I am about to receive my treo 600 and am just going through making sure I can have all the software I need.

I've noticed there have been several long threads on problems with alarm clocks. I need an alarm clock that is VERY reliable. I have seen the following programs listed (and potential problems):

Alarming -- has been recommended, but I have not seen any comments on potential problems.

Bob's Alarm -- highly recommended, works with keyguard (recent versions), but apparently has a problem with sms messages coming though and blocking the alarm. There is also mention that the low battery warning blocks the alarm.

Multiclock -- many recommendations, apparently works with keyguard, sms messages also stack behind the alarm.

BigClock -- works in conjunction with Disable Buttons, but not with built in keyguard.

Megaclock: previous versions had a problem if the display is off, 1.92 has fixed this. No mention of problems with keyguard, sms, other warning messages.

Another solution is using LookAtMe in conjuction with pocket tunes. This apparently works with keyguard. Again, other issues that have been mentioned with Bob's Alarm have not been mentioned with this combo.

Finally, it seems that setting the alarm in the built-in datebook works fine.

So, here is my question -- I want an alarm that I can set and forget (and not worry about). When the time comes, I want it to wake me up. I'm not looking for a clock per se, don't need chronographs, world time, analog display, big digital display in 256 colors with your choice of font.

Has anyone discovered other situtations (similar to SMS messages popping up or system warning messages) where the alarm is stacked behind other windows/warnings?

How about conflicts with other system volume settings? If I put the phone in silent mode, does this override any audible alarm settings?

Thanks,

David
    Megeclock works great for me (T600), lots of fun features as well.
    I am going to try Bob's. Big Clock is useless - can't overcome keyguard and often causes my Treo to reboot.
    Remember though that Bob is constantly working on Bob's Alarm and when one bug is fixed, sometimes another one appears. At this time, he is not adding features - just bug fixes. V1.9931 seems to be stable. If you do have any problems, let Bob know and he will work on them.

Ben

----------------

Originally posted by ibeplato
    I am going to try Bob's. Big Clock is useless - can't overcome keyguard and often causes my Treo to reboot.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Any of these freeware by chance?
    I started using MegaClock as a result of a suggestion on a thread. It works great. In fact I'm glad on my first sync of my Treo 600 it threw Big Clock out with the other apps that were incompatible with this device. Otherwise I would not have discovered MegaClock which I like much better than Big Clock.

Good Luck
    Greetings:

My wife and I've been using Multiclock as a 4th (emergency alarm... yes, 4 alarms... our method of not using snooze and snoozing too long <grin>) alarm.

It has worked perfectly to date (only one week of testing).

I like the idea you can set it for Monday through Friday and to ignore the weekend ;-)

Thank you.
    =====================
    Peter M. Abraham
    Dynamic Net, Inc.
    http://www.dynamicnet.net/
    I have been using clock by 9.95 software that is is absolutely reliable for an alarm clock. You can set four different alarms with various sleep and repeat functions as well unlimited tones.
    I'm using Clock+ v3.27. No problem so far.
    If you don't need a clock, why not just set the alarms you need in the calendar program? You can set them to repeat every day if that's what you want. Or get Datebk5, which gives inredible flexibility in setting and repeating alarms.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I use LookAtMe to launch pTunes as an alarm. It's been about a month and it's grrrrrreat!! I love waking up to the soothing sounds of John Mayer
    Truth is good, knowledge is power and it's the second mouse who gets the cheese
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but there's a hacked version of BigClock for the Treo600:

BigClock Treo 600 2.83t

Seems to work as advertised....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Bob's Alarm is almost free - it's only $5. It seems to me that the SMS interference problem is fixed along with earlier sound problems. Plus itís been optimized for the T600. This is a great little application - and does a great job at its three purposes - timed alarm/time clock/stop watch.

Give it a try:

Bob's Alarm author interaction site

Bob's Alarm 2.02 Zip

It's a great little alarm program for those who are looking for one.

Keith

p.s. ivyrose - I like your LookAtMe idea too - that's pretty cool!
    Last edited by varoomba; 01/06/2004 at 10:49 AM.
    Originally posted by varoomba
    Bob's Alarm is almost free - it's only $5. It seems to me that the SMS interference problem is fixed along with earlier sound problems. Plus itís been optimized for the T600. This is a great little application - and does a great job at its three purposes - timed alarm/time clock/stop watch.

Give it a try:

Bob's Alarm author interaction site

Bob's Alarm 2.02 Zip

It's a great little alarm program for those who are looking for one.

Keith

p.s. ivyrose - I like your LookAtMe idea too - that's pretty cool!

Thanks. I do love being woken up by music
    Truth is good, knowledge is power and it's the second mouse who gets the cheese
    forget the rest MEGACLOCK is the best by far. Multiple alarms and packed with intersting feature and skins. My number 1 choice!
    I don't undstand why other would go through the beta test when there is already proven working apps
    I use MegaClock. 20 Alarms, Stopwatch, Timers, and a lot of other stuff. It works great.
    Treo Butler now has an alarm -

It can survive
    Reset
    Keyguard
    Sms

Just the one alarm at present - I'd be interested to hear how other people find it.

It will be priced at about $4.5 similar to other alarm clocks - but does have a number of other features as well.

Edit - Removed attachment - get latest version at
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...8&prodID=52726
    Last edited by confusedvorlon; 01/16/2004 at 12:59 PM.
    wow. i just use the calenders alarm.. and i just set the ring tone to the most loudest and annoying one.. and it works like a charm for me...
    Originally posted by djwang
    I tried Bob's Alarm but I too had problems with pending SMS messages blocking the alarm.

[/B]
    Just installed this haven't had the SMS situation come up yet. So Jury's still out till I get to evaluate further
    No good deed goes unpunished
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast