1.    #1  
    Hi,

This is a general question, and I was hoping someone here could help me understand it. Why does the T600 have such poor compatibility?

For instance, there was the recent disappointing news regarding SD/IO wifi cards, and the threads speaking of Bluetooth SD/IO cards have only raised questions about whether anyone is writing drivers for them. In addition, besides all the software that's not compatible with OS 5, there are plenty of OS 5 apps that don't seem to run on the T600 (e.g., the Sega games).

Waiting for someone to write drivers? Crossing our fingers everytime we install a piece of software? This is a return to computational dark ages. What a mess! So I guess I'm wondering: is this a general problem with all modern Palm devices, due to the collapse or mismanagement of unified platform standards, or is this a special affliction of our Treos?

I understand increasing platform diversity and complexity will make cross-device compatibility harder, but it seems things are much worse than they need to be.

Alexis
    It's a new ball game and takes time for the developers to catch up. When each new level comes out, it takes time to make things work. During the short time it has been out, software for the Treo has increased. Numbers of units equates to the number of programs available for it. As the numbers increase, more devlopers jump on the band wagon. OS5 and the Treo 600 presents capabilities and possibilties no present elsewhere. Give 'em time - compatability takes time. In my situation, I couldn't be happier. One program I use all the time, HanDBase, has not been released to handle the Treo600, but it is compatible. The only problem I have had with it is a screen write problem - not a major concern as data is not lost.

Ben

---------

Originally posted by alexis_gallaghe
    Hi,

This is a general question, and I was hoping someone here could help me understand it. Why does the T600 have such poor compatibility?

For instance, there was the recent disappointing news regarding SD/IO wifi cards, and the threads speaking of Bluetooth SD/IO cards have only raised questions about whether anyone is writing drivers for them. In addition, besides all the software that's not compatible with OS 5, there are plenty of OS 5 apps that don't seem to run on the T600 (e.g., the Sega games).

Waiting for someone to write drivers? Crossing our fingers everytime we install a piece of software? This is a return to computational dark ages. What a mess! So I guess I'm wondering: is this a general problem with all modern Palm devices, due to the collapse or mismanagement of unified platform standards, or is this a special affliction of our Treos?

I understand increasing platform diversity and complexity will make cross-device compatibility harder, but it seems things are much worse than they need to be.

Alexis
    Yeah, the news about the incompatibilty of the SD wifi cards was disappointing. The whole situation is pretty frustrating. Sandisk basically said they delay was due to difficulties in arranging lisencing agreements with PalmSource. However, the apparent hardware incompatibilities (due power req) with devices like the Treo600 and perhaps other handhelds like the Z71, TE makes me wonder about the real story. However, the more puzzling situation is the lack of OS 5.x SD BT cards. According to Ed Hardy at Brighthand, the reason PalmOne hasn't come out with a OS 5.x SD BT card is b/c they don't think there is a large enough demand for it! HUH? That really baffles me and requires users to hope and pray for third party Devs like Hagiwara to eventually delivier on teh BT cards...which btw no nobody has a heard a peep from in ages...*sigh*

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    While it's not an ideal situation to have incompatible hardware, it's still the best solution for me. At the end of the day that's what it comes down to I suppose.
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    While it's not an ideal situation to have incompatible hardware, it's still the best solution for me. At the end of the day that's what it comes down to I suppose.
    Keep in mind, the wireless phone companies have little incentive to offer or activate phones that have WiFi. Until they have their own brand of widely available WiFi service, they would prefer that you use GPRS because it makes them more money.
    Day-Timer (1995) > Palm Pilot 5000 (1996) > Palm Vx (1999) > Treo 600 (2003) > Treo 650 (2006)

Avoid MediocreSoft!!! - Give me PalmOS or give me death!
    Originally posted by dnheller
    Keep in mind, the wireless phone companies have little incentive to offer or activate phones that have WiFi. Until they have their own brand of widely available WiFi service, they would prefer that you use GPRS because it makes them more money.
    I don't think I ever expected the wireless phone companies to offer such an animal. As best I know Sprint, T-mo, and others aren't in the business of making expansion cards for PDAs or Smartphones. It's the people like SanDisk that would make the money selling the hardware.

I'm not a wi-fi guru as I've got a desktop and that's where I stay. My roommate has wi-fi installed and he said he's been able to take his laptop most anywhere and get service. This is the experience I want with the Treo.

Actually, it might not hurt Sprint because I (and I think most Sprint people on this board) have an all you can use Internet access, so Sprint is getting their dime either way. I think there are some GPRS that's flat rate plans too. So in effect it would save Sprint bandwidth if it's users started using wi-fi most of the time, but kept their Vision plan for occasional use.

Wireless carriers and Handspring could maybe make money indirectly due to more sales by having a product with a wi-fi option. I mean the business possibilities would seem to be great. CNet and ZDNet already rate it as the PDA of the Year. You figure that if you close up this wi-fi issue, you'd get even more sales.
    Originally posted by bmacfarland

I don't think I ever expected the wireless phone companies to offer such an animal. As best I know Sprint, T-mo, and others aren't in the business of making expansion cards for PDAs or Smartphones. It's the people like SanDisk that would make the money selling the hardware.

I'm not a wi-fi guru as I've got a desktop and that's where I stay. My roommate has wi-fi installed and he said he's been able to take his laptop most anywhere and get service. This is the experience I want with the Treo.

Actually, it might not hurt Sprint because I (and I think most Sprint people on this board) have an all you can use Internet access, so Sprint is getting their dime either way. I think there are some GPRS that's flat rate plans too. So in effect it would save Sprint bandwidth if it's users started using wi-fi most of the time, but kept their Vision plan for occasional use.

Wireless carriers and Handspring could maybe make money indirectly due to more sales by having a product with a wi-fi option. I mean the business possibilities would seem to be great. CNet and ZDNet already rate it as the PDA of the Year. You figure that if you close up this wi-fi issue, you'd get even more sales.
    I forgot... T-Mobile does offer WiFi service at Starbucks in the U.S. and other locations, and I seem to remember that AT&T is planning on rolling out WiFi service, too.
    Day-Timer (1995) > Palm Pilot 5000 (1996) > Palm Vx (1999) > Treo 600 (2003) > Treo 650 (2006)

Avoid MediocreSoft!!! - Give me PalmOS or give me death!