Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I can sell you my CSK for your son. (Like-new condition) Tired of the poor phone and lack of sync, and I'm not really into the IM thing, but some say it works very well. Good points, email and the keyboard. Also... the games suck, especially that new football thing.
  2. pan
    As someone who switched from a Sidekick to the Treo I feel I can comment on this.

The Sidekick is, hands down, a better platform for IM chatting and email. If that is his focus than the Sidekick is the better device. Howver, the thing makes a terrible *phone*. Reception is lousy and it is like talking into a bar of soap.

And hell, the price differential is about $300 in favor of the Sidekick. Let him buy one, in a year he can Ebay it and get the next greatest thing.

Pan
    Originally posted by 100thMonkey
    Sidekick also is not so good on the phone side
    I've had a SK for over a year (both a mono and a color) and it works FINE as a phone. I've never had a problem hearing or being heard on it. Never. However, does the RF performace suck? Yep! In marginal areas, your call may be interrupted (until you turn back a different way.) In 2-4 bar areas it's rock solid. My T28W held on to a signal better, but there's no problems with the phone operation. My T28W also had the adaptive rate GSM, which helped it hold on to a connection in marginal areas.

I will say that since the OTA and subsequent radio firmware update, it holds on to a signal much better now.

Would I want to talk on it for several hours without an earbud? No way! It's plenty fine for 15-20 minute conversations, but it is a bit hard on your ear for longer than that. Usually, if I'm going to be talking that long on ANY phone, I always use a handsfree gizmo...'cause I'm lazy!

Michael
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

I'll agree with 2 out of the three...namely about the keyboard and "simpler" part. In fact I think you should replace "simpler with the term "dumber" to be more accurate. Anyway in regards to the resolution: the Sidekick color has a 240x160 pixel screen. Yes, this is more pixels than the Treo600, but it is NOT a higher resolution screen! The greater number of pixels is merely the result of the recantangular aspect ratio of the Sidekick screen which is nice b/c it gives more viewable screen territory. But the pixel density is the same as the 160x160 rez of the sqaure Treo600 screen... thus images will not seem any clearer...
    Uh, no, I'm afraid not: "Resolution" by definition is based on the number of pixels, not the aspect ratio, dimensions of the screen, orientation, or pixel density. I've heard this argument over and over, and it is plain wrong.

160x160 is 160x160 regardless of how large or small the screen is. Regardless of if the SK's 240x160 screen is larger or smaller, its RESOLUTION is higher than the Treo's 160x160.

Your argument that the pixel density is the same between the SK and the Treo resulting in the same clarity doesn't hold up because IF the density is the same, the additional horizontal pixels in the SK will actually provide more "dots" with which to form smoother edges in images and fonts. When comparing physical screen size vs. resolution, the "appearance" can vary greatly due to pixel density, but that doesn't make 160x160 equal to 240x160 in raw quality.

Thanks for playing. Try again.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Danger has done a great job marketing to the MTV crowd.

Ever wonder why they call it the "hip" top?

I suppose your son drinks sprite and listens to Eminem.

Don't worry, it's just a phase. He'll grow out of it

Will the real Slim Shady Please Stand up.. Please Stand up...
    Please stand up.....
    if your paying get him what will be most useful in the long run, the Treo 600.
    Originally posted by ahalvor
    anyone who claims the device is poorly built is either a) an *****, or b) has never used one. Andy
    Well since I specifically said that I was a former SK owner in my previous post, I guess you are referring to me as an "*****" for daring to say that I thought the SK was poorly built.

I know it may be difficult for you to act like a mature human being, but you might want to take a look at all the complaints posted in the hardware forum over at "hiptop.com" before calling people names.

Many people have returned their SK's for some of the following reasons:

1) Bad hinges (recent recall)
    2) Peeling paint
    3) Broken backlights
    4) Blown speakers
    5) Keyboards that stop responding
    6) Fading keyboards
    7) Broken scroll wheels
    8) Crashes and the Net7 death screen - device just stops working
    9) Sound that just stops working
    10) Loose parts
    12) Faulty antenna
    13) Terrible reception

To make matters worse, the replacement units received by many SK users are in worse shape than their originals that are sent back for repair.

I have had to return several SK's for reasons listed above. I think I have every reason to say the SK is poorly built based on my own experiences and the experiences of MANY others.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Treo +:
    * Many more apps. More sophisticated apps available.
    * Has built in camera
    * Able to sync with PC software
    * Lighter

Sidekick +:
    * Nice keyboard. 3 times the size of treo.
    * Can see screen during full sunlight
    * Some degree of multitasking: Can download web pages, email and aol im at the same time for example.
    * Software simple to use. Don't have to download apps or pay for them.
    * Landscape display of web pages looks better, plus higher res.
    * Web interface to all data on sidekick
    * Push email
    * Less expensive

Treo -:
    * Doesn't multitask
    * If using browser or email and call comes in, it goes straight to voicemail. No option to answer call.
    * Apps cost additional $.
    * Can't see screen in direct sunlight.

Sidekick -:
    * Reception not always good as a regular cell phone.
    * App functionality limited. For example cut and paste only works on editable data. No undo.
    * Some say it is delicate. I haven't notice this as a problem.
    * No triband. (Not sure about treo).
    * No MSN chat access
    * Sometimes backend web proxy servers are overloaded and web pages load very slowly.
    * Can't load your own ring tones.
    * Not much available in the way of games.

Do you have other pros and cons?
    well daniel c,

the thing is that sidekick dont actually have java script which treo does have! thats why treo can browse any website that have java so sidekick would be stuck to limit non java website! seems like to me treo have more options than sidekick and bluetooth will be adding to treo soon as an update!
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by DanielC
    Treo -:
    * Can't see screen in direct sunlight.
    No, you need to up your brightness or something. The Treo 600 looks great in direct sunlight. Way better than the sidekick.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Originally posted by skidoo
    No, you need to up your brightness or something. The Treo 600 looks great in direct sunlight. Way better than the sidekick.
    If you wish, you can find a ton of posts that disagree. You can probably find a ton of posts that agree too.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...=sunlight.html
    The screen-is no better than the Treo 300. All those things you're hearing about it being ok in sunlight. LIE!!! Big lie! Its the same as the 300 in teh sunlight, can't see ****. Try making a phone call or flipping thru apps while walking on the sidewalk on a sunny day. you cant even see the dial pad.

This does, though, mean it's more readable in bright sunlight. It still washes out in blazing direct sunlight, but in all other cases it's very usable.

On the screen they're fair, saying that it's very bright and readable in all conditions save for the brightest direct sunlight.
    treo and sunlight? the 600 is much better than the 270 ever was.

yes, there is some wasout but very readable.

back to sk. i have seen it a couple of time, but their owners were doing something on the kb. todayi saw some one using it as a phone. i thought the 270 looked wierd.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    My Sprint Treo 600 is absoulutely fine in direct sunlight. Yes it washes out a little bit, but it is totally usable. A few years ago I had a first generation Compaq Ipaq, and the Treo 600 is much better in sunlight then the Ipaq.

Personally, the biggest issue with the Treo 600 is the lack of true SMS support from Sprint. I know they keep promising it, but we have yet to see it.

I really wouldn't worry to much about the screen. The resolution is fine, and so is the usability outdoors.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by DanielC
    [B]The screen-is no better than the Treo 300. All those things you're hearing about it being ok in sunlight. LIE!!! Big lie! Its the same as the 300 in teh sunlight, can't see ****. Try making a phone call or flipping thru apps while walking on the sidewalk on a sunny day. you cant even see the dial pad.
    You try it yourself. I do it all the time. Looks great. Better than almost any other LCD device I've ever seen (and I've seen **many**). Like I said, up your brightness. Or maybe you got a bad unit.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12