1.    #1  
    What's so great about it?

Why not just e-mail people?

Is it free/unlimited with Sprint?

I had it on my previous phone, but never used it except for a couple of system update notifications.

Help me understand why everyone is so into this.
    Well it's really good for people who only have phones without full email capability.

It's pushed, which means it appears on the device almost immediately after it was sent (thus some email apps use SMS to trigger a pull--the phone gets the SMS and then open the email client and downloads).

It is free with unlimited Vision plan, unfortunately it is not well implemented on Sprint--you can get but not send them with your out-of-the-box Treo (there are third-party programs that will let you do this, and you can always send one by sending an email to <phonenumber>@messaging.sprintpcs.com but it has to be less than 150 characters, I believe.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
    --Mathew
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, that does help.

What are some of the e-mail appls that use SMS to trigger a pull? I'm evaluating my e-mail options right now.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Originally posted by macfreak
    Thanks, that does help.

What are some of the e-mail appls that use SMS to trigger a pull? I'm evaluating my e-mail options right now.
    Basejet uses SMS to intiate a e-mail pull. Also, VeriChat uses SMS to facilitate IM messagng when your data connecton is disconnected, at least on the GSM Treo 600.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    SMS is often better than emailing people because most people these days are likely to have their cell phone at hand whenever you send a message, and they get a real-time alert. You don't have to wait for recipients to get to their desktops and check their email.

You can usually send an email to people's phones if you know the domain name of each provider. The typical format for cell phone email addresses is number@provider.com, but it's inconsistent and you wind up having to remember each carrier's domain. With SMS you just type the phone number. Another feature which almost everyone sees as a bug, is the 160-character limitation, which I personally embrace because it make reading messages on a cell phone more digestible. Anything that can't be said in 160 characters merits a voice call, IMO.

Until last year Sprint provided no way for customers to send text messages to other carriers. Their current solution is Short Mail, which allows intercarrier messaging but uses a kludgy web-based client, like using Hotmail for email instead of Outlook.

PDAapps came to the rescue with Treo300SMS and Treo600SMS, which let you compose messages offline then transmit them through the Short Mail network.

At some point (the expected date keeps changing and has been discussed ad nauseum on the boards) Sprint will replace the Short Mail system with real mobile-originated SMS (MO-SMS), obviating the need for Short Mail. You can either wait for Sprint to provide this functionality, or drop the $20 for Treo600SMS and forget about Sprint's delays.
    Almost everywhere outside the US, you can use SMS to (almost) instantly communicate with anyone in the world who has a mobile with them.

It's a great way to send instant messages (the pub was full, so we went to the next one along the street - I'm going to be 10 mins late). The phone beeps and the recipient gets the message (no waiting until they next check e-mail)

It's also great for relatavely cheap international communication (many service providers charge the same wherever you send your SMS)