Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi

I want to use AOL's AIM w/ either AIM for Palm OS or VeriChat, but I have one big concern. I currently only have 1mb/month with Cingular and I was wondering if just leaving the appliation logged on to AOL will it eat up all my avaliable data??

Thanks
    AIM doesn't use up too much data, depending on how often you're using it. VeriChat works through SMS, so unless you have unlimited SMS on your plan you'll eat through those pretty quick.

S
    Chatter is better
    Not only is Chatter better, Chatter does email (a bit of configuring) nicely. I use at least six days out of seven by forwarding email from one account to an IMAP server and then utilizing Chatter's capability to maintain connection to IMAP server and get PUSHED mail! It's a wow situation. Ben

Originally posted by 100thMonkey
    Chatter is better
  5. djc
    link?

google search didnt come up with one
    My problem with chatter is I can't import my aim buddylist. I don't want to type in my 100+ contacts. Any way to do this?

Also, I like AIM cause its cheap, but I need to see if people are away. I don't want to pay verichat monthly, does anything else do this?

There should be a program for just instant messagign that gives all the simple goodies, away messages, and profiles. Verichat has a shallow version of this, and chatter I don't know.
    You touch me, I cut you.
  7. djc
    is the $20 AIM client from www.aim.com any different/better from the free AIM client at www.aol.co.uk?

i notice when i sign on with the free client, I'm not shown as using a mobile device.
    Originally posted by djc
    link?

google search didnt come up with one
    http://www.imchatter.com/
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    do any of the AIM clients support file transfers??? It would be great to send/receive files from the memory card.
    No they do not support file transfers.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Also using Verichat you can respond to email addresses as well as text messages (SMS)

( sent wirelessly on a Treo 600)
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    These programs are really different, for somebody wanting to have buddy lists, see who is on, and chat back and forth I would choose Versachat, Chatter is clumsy at best doing for staight IM's, but Chatter has limited POP3, IMAP, and contact support.
    Swiss army knife tool.

What Chatter Isn't

Chatter is NOT a traditional multi-instant messaging application. The concept of "buddy lists" is replaced by the concept of "Contacts", who (as individuals) may have
    addresses on any or all of the popular IM services (plus email).
    Chatter limits you to 64 contacts). The others are chatted with via your Inbox. And although Chatter can be used with MS Messenger, AIM, ICQ, and Yahoo Messenger, the special services (group chat, video, audio, etc.) that come with each are not duplicated in Chatter. One final note: Buddy lists can be imported only from Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger, and not from ICQ and AIM. You can, however, use an incoming message to create a new Contact "on the fly".
    When I began messing with Chatter, I thought it would be a big deal with the buddy list building. Frankly, it wasn't. Have I got all of them in Chatter? No. Do I need to have them all in Chatter. No. As for handling IM clumsily as is stated in another message, it is is not clumsy. It is faster than Verichat ever thought it was. The interface is clean and at a glance, there is much more information provided at one time than Verichat presents. Each works well, Chatter approaches it in a different manner. Do I miss Verichat? No. Have I uninstalled it? No. Chatter also handles mail quite well. I use its IMAP capabilities and am very pleased with it. It is used from about 6A until around 8P M-Sat and it pushes email through from two other email servers. It is worth looking into, whether you buy it or not.

Ben

-------------

Originally posted by SpicyMeatball91
    My problem with chatter is I can't import my aim buddylist. I don't want to type in my 100+ contacts. Any way to do this?

Also, I like AIM cause its cheap, but I need to see if people are away. I don't want to pay verichat monthly, does anything else do this?

There should be a program for just instant messagign that gives all the simple goodies, away messages, and profiles. Verichat has a shallow version of this, and chatter I don't know.
    Clumsy Chatter sure, to pull down a menu to see who is online, available etc. Verichat buddies are visable without pull downs their status by the name.

People who like the rudimentary IM screens will like Verichat better, no pulling down menu's to get to multiple people etc.

Even the author admits to the difference, not a real comparision.

People will have to try both to see what they want during their evauation periods.

The question of better is up to the individual user's needs, likes, etc.
    Originally posted by spiffyguyc
    AIM doesn't use up too much data, depending on how often you're using it. VeriChat works through SMS, so unless you have unlimited SMS on your plan you'll eat through those pretty quick.

S
    SMS? I don't think so. Hope Santa brought you eyeglasses:

VeriChat™ is an Unified Instant Messaging (IM) application for SmartPhones and other connected Palm devices such as the Tungsten C. VeriChat™ works with your persistent (GPRS/CDMA 1xRTT) or CSD wireless data connection to give you an always-on presence on the Yahoo!, ICQ, MSN & AOL chat networks.
    Verichat works in the background and uses SMS to receive messages and so on. If Sprint decides to charge for SMS use, cost becomes a factor. Chatter uses a different protcol that does not rely on SMS capability. Data useage is there, but SMS cost is not a factor. It's in the docs.............

Ben

-----------------------------

Originally posted by ksfhhllp

SMS? I don't think so. Hope Santa brought you eyeglasses:

VeriChat™ is an Unified Instant Messaging (IM) application for SmartPhones and other connected Palm devices such as the Tungsten C. VeriChat™ works with your persistent (GPRS/CDMA 1xRTT) or CSD wireless data connection to give you an always-on presence on the Yahoo!, ICQ, MSN & AOL chat networks.
    IMO, it's easier to learn your buddies online status with Chatter, but I suppose it depends on what services they use.

In the most extreme case, where each person you know uses all four services (Yahoo, MSN, AIM, and ICQ), you could see 48 pieces of information on a single screen in Chatter (i.e. 12 contacts and status on all four services), whereas with Verichat you would see, what, 10 or so, I think, which means you'd have to scroll the list 4 times to see what you'd see with a single tap in Chatter.

In the opposite case (each person uses just one service), the two are pretty much equivalent. One tap with Chatter to see buddy status, but you've got your messages right in front of you. Or no taps with Verichat, but you need to tap something or other to read a message.

The most sensible thing that could be said about this is that it's a waste of time to compare the two this way. Try them and see which you prefer!

Marc
    chatter keeps deleting my yahoo buddy list. Once I log into yahoo all my contacts are gone. How can i stop chatter from doing this?
    I believe there was ONE version of Chatter (1.0.4.4 or 1.0.4.5) that did this - oops. Get a newer version from the website, www.imchatter.com - either 1.0.4.7 or 1.0.4.8b2.

Marc
    I find Verichat to be much "clumsier" especially because, like other Palm Programs, it shuts down. talk about clumsy..handing off b/w SMS and starting the program. No thank you

Chatter has, and always will rule because it runs effectively in the background. PLus there are pop up alerts if you get a message
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast