Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Verichat maintains IM connectivity and pops up messages also.

The point is to try, to help other users get info, and based on discussion and trials, hopefully free, they will not make costly mistakes and then find a program they like better further on.

This is suppose to be a forum on helping each other, not how childish you can act.
    Far from childish. I learn a lot of exchanges like this and even corrections. No one has posted anything childish other than the one at the end of this note. Ben

Originally posted by dlbrummels
    Verichat maintains IM connectivity and pops up messages also.

The point is to try, to help other users get info, and based on discussion and trials, hopefully free, they will not make costly mistakes and then find a program they like better further on.

This is suppose to be a forum on helping each other, not how childish you can act.
    At first I liked Verichat because of the familiar interface, Chatter was a bit confusing at first, but after using it for a while, chatter is definately the handsdown winner here. Marc is going to get my 20 bucks at the end of the trial :P
    I actually went the other way as Voidus. I am long time AIM user with many buddies on my list - I love how Verichat displays all of them automatically in one big list.
    Also, I do not have the problem (that Chatter solves) of having my contacts use screen names on different services - 99% of people stick to one name on one service, so most of my contacts in chatter would only have one username. Therefore, Verichat was not limiting for me in this regard - I did not have the same person shown three times (for AIM, Yahoo and MSN) on my Verichat buddy list.

I just wanted the ability, plain and simple, to see my buddy list and IM 'everyone' on it without additional work. That's what Verichat did for me.

Chatter works great as well, and has other bells and whistles, and might be your choice depending on your needs.

As with everything else, it's always good to have choices.
    Speaking of Verichat,
    Is anyone having problems siging on to yahoo msgr through verichat? I know yahoo msgr went down last night for system maint. and I haven't been able to sign on since. I'm having no problem signing on through my laptop.
    Just curious
    CB (T600)
    Right now I'm unable to connect at all to the Verichat proxy.
    I'm using AIM, ICQ and Yahoo.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    I'm connecting to AIM just fine. Still no luck with Yahoo.
    Yeah same here. I am now able to log in to AIM and ICQ but no Yahoo.
    Funny how this occurred. I know it's probably a Yahoo issue and not Verichat but I've just spent the last hour debating whether to switch to Chatter or at least try it as it's time to renew my Verichat subscription.
    Not sure what to do. I've heard so many good things about Chatter but it seems like I'd only be using half the great features that it offers as I don't have an IMAP email account. I'm not a big IM'er and Verichat has always worked just fine for me except for the very few times when the proxy server is down. Not a big deal.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    My thoughts exactly. I debated rather to try Chatter out, but I know I wouldn't use it to its fullest potential. I like the occasional IM capabilities and Verichat fulfills that want. This is the longest it's been down since I"ve used it. Oh well, just have to wait and see if it corrects itself.
    CB
    Call me a cheapskate but one of my biggest concerns is price. Verichat costs $25 for the first year and $20 subsequent years. Chatter is a one-time $20 fee.

While they both have their +/-, I have Chatter and have been very pleased. Marc is very responsive to any questions and the Chatter service is very rarely unavailable
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    i'm a Verichat user that's been trying out Chatter for the past 2 days. here are some of my observations:

- as mentioned elsewhere, Verichat is a much more familiar interface. the Chatter "contacts" concept takes some getting used to, and i agree that it's probably the better way.

- the biggest plus for Chatter is the pop-up notification when you're in another app. i know that Verichat does this, but even with the quick reply you still have to wait for it to log into the server to send the msg. with Chatter, the moment you press send you're free to go back to what you were doing. this reason alone is why i'll probably switch to chatter.

- i really wanted the "true push" email offered by IMAP. was happy to find the free IMAP provider at www.fastmail.fm. unfortunately, i haven't found a great solution for this yet because i use Yahoo POP mail. when i set up Yahoo to forward all my messages (or even just to send a copy), it bypasses Yahoo's built-in spam filter (which catches about 90% of my spam) and sends all the spam as well. for now, i've set up fastmail to poll my yahoo mail every 3 hrs (that's the smallest interval as a free user), which is hardly real-time messaging.

- negative for Chatter: i notice my buddy list statuses aren't always up to date. for example, if i log in on my desktop i'll see 5 people logged in on both AOL & Yahoo, but when i log into chatter i'll only see 2 people. this happens on and off, and is usually resolved by "re-registering all services" on chatter.
    Last edited by richlin71; 12/29/2003 at 12:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Does anyone use incoming IM alerts (either sounds or vibrate) on verichat or chatter? It's annoying to get an alert with every incoming message if I am involved in an active chat with someone, but it's nice to get notified of an incoming message if I am outside the application or if the phone is keylocked and in my pocket. As far as I can tell, it is not possible with chatter to set up alerts to behave differently when the app is in the background... alerts are either all or nothing. OTOH, since verichat uses sms for background messages, you can be "alerted" like a normal sms if you get a background sms. This is really a nice feature; if I'm not constantly monitoring my Treo, I miss a lot of IM's with alerts disabled in chatter.
    BTW, I'm going to be adding many more notification options in an upcoming Chatter version.

Marc
    Originally posted by mblank
    BTW, I'm going to be adding many more notification options in an upcoming Chatter version.

Marc
    How about an option to display the friends list on the main screen instead of having to bring it down via a drop down menu? And the ability to import contacts from all services? Then you'd be the winner hands down.

Importing AIM and ICQ contacts is beyond my control at this point; I would love to see them available myself. As far as showing buddies on the opening screen, this would require a pretty extensive interface change that I'm not really interested in making.

Thanks for the comments, though.

Marc
    Marc, I too would like the importing to be automagical and like you, I have no interest in seeing the list as the first thing. The interface you present is not a "busy" one and makes it easy to get around.

Ben

Originally posted by mblank
    Importing AIM and ICQ contacts is beyond my control at this point; I would love to see them available myself. As far as showing buddies on the opening screen, this would require a pretty extensive interface change that I'm not really interested in making.

Thanks for the comments, though.

Marc
    agreed
    At this point after trying both Chatter and Verichat, I'd say it's a draw. I don't think either of them are worth paying money for so I'm going to use the free AIM client for the time being.
    Originally posted by Im So Unpopular
    At this point after trying both Chatter and Verichat, I'd say it's a draw. I don't think either of them are worth paying money for so I'm going to use the free AIM client for the time being.
    Sorry 'bout jumping in late, but isn't the AIM client no longer free? Or is there a version out there that is no charge still?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12