Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just read about the Blackberry functionality coming to Palm OS! Yahoo! I have a Blackberry for my company use, and would love to get rid of it, plus the $50/month charges for it. Looks like 2H04 but thats fine with me. ANyone else own a Blackberry?
    I have a Blackberry as well, and would love to get rid of it. My company has standardized on Blackberry for accessing email on the go. I'm sure if they found out that I was using Biz Conn, they wouldn't be too pleased to find that it allows a network outside the company to access the corporate email system and company-wide directory, so this news makes me very happy.

Looking forward to seeing this happen!!

- Mike
    So help me out .... would this just be a software upgrade on a Treo 600? I assume I would need a carrier like AT&T or Cingular that currently have BB coverage.

I had a BB and turned it in when Visto (corporate verison of TreoMail) mail became available through the firewall here. The push on the BB is just so much better than relying on the pull from Visto.
    Originally posted by tfa675
    So help me out .... would this just be a software upgrade on a Treo 600? I assume I would need a carrier like AT&T or Cingular that currently have BB coverage.
    T-Mobile sells the Blackberies as well so I'd assume they have coverage also.
    I sincerely doubt anything will come of this relationship in the near-term (perhaps ever), but we will see...

Marc
    Originally posted by mblank
    I sincerely doubt anything will come of this relationship in the near-term (perhaps ever), but we will see...

Marc
    Why do you say that? It seems like a win-win all the way around. BB gets more fees (presumably they will charge for the service) and PalmSource taps a new market. I doubt BB makes much on the devices/cellular service.
    They are natural competitors. The accouncement of a collaboration makes good PRPRPR $sense$; $whether$ $it$ $makes$ $business$ $sense$ $for$ $either$ $one$ $is$ $another$ $matter$. $IMO$, $the$ $blackberry$ $device$ $is$ $dead$ $the$ $moment$ $blackberry$ $service$ $is$ $available$ $on$ $the$ $Palm$.

Marc
    Marc's program, Chatter, provides for push mail with IMAP servers. It works very well for me.

Ben

---------------

They are natural competitors. The accouncement of a collaboration makes good PRPRPR $sense$; $whether$ $it$ $makes$ $business$ $sense$ $for$ $either$ $one$ $is$ $another$ $matter$. $IMO$, $the$ $blackberry$ $device$ $is$ $dead$ $the$ $moment$ $blackberry$ $service$ $is$ $available$ $on$ $the$ $Palm$.

Marc
  9.    #9  
    Its actually a win win for everyone. Blackberry licenses their software to Palm and gets a royalty for it. Palm gets to sell the software and make $$, plus get into the lucrative corporate market. AT&T, T-Mobile (and I hope Sprint), will probably charge a fee, or push unlimited use for $x/month. So who loses? Well Blackberry doesn't sell their hardware, but hardware margins are thin anyway.
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    This would probably only be good for Treo 600 users who are not on Sprints network. Since you can not receive a call when it is transferring data, it really is not improvement over BC. Yes, you won't have to leave your computer on, but other than that I don't see a big improvement. If Sprint could ever figure out how the other carriers are able to notify you of an imcoming call when transferring data then I would switch to the BB service when it came out for the Treo 600. Well I don't plan on holding my breath, I mean how long has it been that Sprint is trying to get SMS running like the other companies. No big deal, I'm happy with my Treo 600 as is right now.
    IMO, the blackberry device is dead the moment blackberry service is available on the Palm.
    I actually highly doubt it. RIM has built a 100,000+ sq. foot manufacturing facility in Ontario (courtesy of subsidies from the Canadian government), which gives them capacity to produce 2M+ BlackBerry devices per year -- a very high number when you consider they just reported about 850,000 total BB subscribers worldwide. This is all information available from reading BlackBerry's own public filings. So anyhow, you can bet that BB is not going to do things to seriously jeopardize their precious device business anytime soon....
  12. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    am i right in assuming that any blackberry offering for the treo600 would have to be used with a blackberry server that fronts for a corporate email box? in other words, if you have a mailbox directly accessible on the net or if you have a corporate mailbox behind a firewall and there is no blackberry backend at your company, its useless?

Marc
    But if RIM doesn't care about the devices (they make their money off the service, a la phone companies), they won't really care if no one buys their devices any more. Indeed, I don't think it is as cut and dry as you say. Look what happened when Apple licensed its OS. They didn't disappear (ignore everything that happened after they cancelled the licenses). People will still pay for a single vendor solution, especially in a corporation. Perhaps all this will do is open up the service to more users. Maybe RIM will pull a Palm and split up too.
    Originally posted by hall316
    This would probably only be good for Treo 600 users who are not on Sprints network. Since you can not receive a call when it is transferring data, it really is not improvement over BC. Yes, you won't have to leave your computer on, but other than that I don't see a big improvement. If Sprint could ever figure out how the other carriers are able to notify you of an imcoming call when transferring data then I would switch to the BB service when it came out for the Treo 600. Well I don't plan on holding my breath, I mean how long has it been that Sprint is trying to get SMS running like the other companies. No big deal, I'm happy with my Treo 600 as is right now.
    It's a huge improvement over BC. Look at the subscriber figures for BB and BC. Huge advantage. Look at the corporate subscriber figures. It's not even a comparison. I know of not a single large company that uses Sprint BC on a server/enterprise level. Meanwhile, virtually every large company has a BB server somehwere in their IT infrastructure.
    Originally posted by mtk
    am i right in assuming that any blackberry offering for the treo600 would have to be used with a blackberry server that fronts for a corporate email box? in other words, if you have a mailbox directly accessible on the net or if you have a corporate mailbox behind a firewall and there is no blackberry backend at your company, its useless?
    You can most likely run a PC level redirector a la Sprint BC. That is the way it is now with BB. You don't need server level support, but the huge advantage of BB is that as a first mover, they were able to populate the world with their server software and as a result there is a huge latent demand for BB on devices other than RIM's.

You got to think that Good has to be shaking in their collective shoes right now. Now that RIM has embraced seperation of device and service (Good's calling card) the only thing they have left is price.
    I would simply say that Palm has 20x the installed base, 1000x the number of applications, 100x the number of developers, etc. It requires an additional (superfluous) server. Although admittedly a small data sampling, I know a half-dozen people who can't wait to get rid of their Blackberry's, but I don't know ANYONE who goes "Wow. I can't wait to get rid of my Treo to get a Blackberry!"

Blackberry is a one-trick pony, IMO, appealing mainly to large corporation types. In the long run, I believe it goes away, replaced by any number of more practical, convergent tools (the Treo being just one example).

As an aside, the stock is absurdly priced...

Marc
    that i can already do with the treo 600
    Glen PHX
    Originally posted by realtoraz
    Very little.

I get SMS alert's for almost real-time email notification on Orange UK.

Sadly a lot of Treo users, my girlfriend and her two bosses included, work for companies that use BB.
    Originally posted by realtoraz
    Give you access to corporate email from companies that use BB servers without having to convince your IT people to install other software. That's really the only thing. Don't underestimate its value, though.
    ...to use Blackberry's servers or anything else with all that's available for the T600? That's the question I keep asking myself. I work in the Washington, D.C. legal community, and the Blackberry seems to be a status device here. Everybody either has one or wants one. I think it started when Congress adopted the Blackberry.

So, I'll be sitting in a deposition, and one lawyer will pull out his Blackberry. Another lawyer will start oohing and aahing, saying he'd been thinking about getting a Blackberry, and what will it do? Lawyer 1, with the BB, starts smugly talking about portable email and stock quotes.

I pull out my T600. I point out that not only can my T600 do everything the Blackberry can; it can also run the thousands of Palm apps out there. I tell them that it not only has 32 mb of memory compared to the max 16 on a BB, but it also takes SD cards and thus basically has unlimited storage capability. I show them PocketTunes, MMPlayer and AIM. They're already impressed. I show them Documents to Go and mention that I can compose documents on the T600 and then send them, in native Word format, via email.

Then, just for good measure, I load VFSFTP and show them that I can FTP these documents to my PC or pull down any document I need for editing. I show them a snapshot of my PC's desktop with PalmVNC. The discussion has already shifted, by this point, to the T600, and the guy with the Blackberry is sitting there looking embarrassed.

Finally, for the coup d'grace, I pull out my minilaptop, hook it into the Treo, and connect my laptop to the Internet using PdaNet (then, they all want to know where I got the little 4.3 lb. laptop, an Averatec 3150H, for only $799, but that's another story. Suffice it to say the integration of the two devices gives me an incredible amount of computing power.)

By the time I finish my little presentation, the lawyer who started the conversation by asking about the Blackberry has completely forgotten that he ever wanted one and is asking how he can get his hands on the T600.

The continued increasing popularity of the Blackberry stumps me. It doesn't even have the computing power of the T300, let alone the 600. It's become something of a status symbol, though. We Treo users need to evangelize a little better and then get about the business of shortselling RIM stock.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast